5 years and they never spend time together?

How do LT relationships work?

I've never been in a relationship for more than a year or so, so I'm curious about my friend's (ok, we dated once) relationship with his girlfriend. They went to high school together and now we all go to college in the same town (let's call it town A), yet they don't seem to ever see each other. I know this for a fact because I and all our other friends see him at least 6 out of 7 nights a week. And when I say nights I mean all night long -- the guys like to stay up til all hours of the night just hanging out. She never ever comes out and he never gets a phone call from her either when he is out. The only time anyone does see them together is if we go to a bar, about once a week, they'll meet up there but even still, it's where everybody at school goes so you hang out with your friends mostly. If you didn't know him, you wouldn't even know that he has a girlfriend. Is this how it is when you've been with someone for such a long time?

They've broken up about 4 times now (him:3, her:1), but have finally gotten back together and supposedly this time it's solid.

Another strange thing is that we are done school for good in about a month and he will be taking a break for a few months before moving to another city (B) a plane ride away to work. She will be here still (in A) and will not be going with him, and they have no plans to live together before he goes to B. He is moving to another city for the summer where I and all his friends will be, town C. Now A and C are about an hour and a half drive away and neither of them have a car, yet it doesn't seem to concern him to not be with her before he goes away. Is it just me, or does this sound like a different kind of long term relationsihp? I know that all relationships have different needs and wants, so I just wanted to see other people's opinions on that idea.

I'm curious about this because a) I don't feel I've ever gotten closure from this guy but I have moved on for the most part and b) I don't have much LT relationsihp experience so I'm curious as to how some of them work

thanks