I don't fit in anywhere...

So I moved into a new place and I feel like I don't fit in with anyone... This is not the first time, it happens EVERY time! I mean at first I seem to be making friends, then a few weeks pass by and I find it too awkward to hang out with the same people (does this stem from abandonment/trust issues?).

Either way, every time I go out and try to have fun with people, I end up being super awkward and just sitting there silently hating everything. I'd always rather just hang out by myself and listen to some dream theatre or play some video games. Can't stand modern pop and the nightlife drives me nuts, yet I seem to be the only one who thinks so.

I always think there's **** wrong with me because I seem like im the only one not having fun.

To top it off apparently I get jealous of this girl who supposedly likes me yet I'm always confused whether or not I like a person or not..

My entire life is just one big controversial ****storm when it comes to any form of social encounter or relationship. LOL.

Any advice?

• Like 2
Can't stand modern pop and

Oh, come ON! Don't be ridiculous. Everyone likes Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift. And I do mean everyone. One day they'll do a duet and music as we know it will have peaked. Sure, it will be all downhill from there, but you can't put a price on being alive when the universe is, even for a brief moment, in perfect harmony.

• Like 1

It's related to what I said in your other thread: it's the environment you are in. It's full of people that either like the things that you don't or pretend to like the thing that you don't.

I think most of us that moved to another culture at a young age can relate to this. Two things will happen: one is that as you get older and mature, your world will get bigger, you will meet a wider range of people with a bigger chance of making suitable friends. The other is that with age you will get more comfortable in your skin and will be able to have fun even when the music is a bit **** because fitting in won't bother you much.

Try to focus on what you have common with your friends, what makes you feel good about them. What you can learn from them. You don't want to become one of those two-dimensional people who only feel comfortable when surrounded by others who are exactly like him.

• Like 2

I think you are being too hard on yourself. What you see as too awkward may not even been noticed by others. You at least have the social skills to initially find the crowds that you later reject.

Instead of looking for friends in places where you know you don't care for the atmosphere -- these pop clubs -- try other venues more in line with your tastes.

• Like 2

snip

I always think there's **** wrong with me because I seem like im the only one not having fun.

To top it off apparently I get jealous of this girl who supposedly likes me yet I'm always confused whether or not I like a person or not..

My entire life is just one big controversial ****storm when it comes to any form of social encounter or relationship. LOL.

Any advice?

If you want this to get any better, you'll to make some kind of effort.

Start by cultivating an attitude of loving kindness towards people in general.

Take care.

• Author

Couple of replies at once:

Porter- I'm 22

Fands- I hate them both and will never accept them into my life; except for a very select few TSwiz songs. I just hate like 99.999999% of pop- but I will be singing California girls by Katy perry at kareoke sometime soon. :p

Enigma- their new album was great! I took my dad to the concert and he loved it. Especially the themes about loving your brother- his recently passed away. Also, my mother loved them when I showed her metropolis pt 2. So i know where I get my music taste from. Doesn't explain why I love lamb of god or slipknot though.. LOL

Emilia- yes again some good points but I've already been through this and it's a reoccurring thing. I moved away for university and made only a few friends, most of which I probably won't see again for a while. I just can't seem to make a connection with the vast majority of people. For instance, I'm here now with my friend I met in preschool, he's very different; everyone knows and loves him and yet very few people know or like me because I'm reserved and introverted.

Edited by connormo
  • Like 2

Emilia- yes again some good points but I've already been through this and it's a reoccurring thing. I moved away for university and made only a few friends, most of which I probably won't see again for a while. I just can't seem to make a connection with the vast majority of people. For instance, I'm here now with my friend I met in preschool, he's very different; everyone knows and loves him and yet very few people know or like me because I'm reserved and introverted.

It's because you are 22. Don't expect things to change dramatically until you are 25+

• Like 2