Is there a reason girls pick men like doctors over say a video gamer?

PrettyEmily77
If you love someone why not go for what you want? Ladies do you get embarrassed?

I wen for what I wanted and yes, he is a doctor (then again, so am I).

• Like 2
  • Author
singlelife
I wen for what I wanted and yes, he is a doctor (then again, so am I).

Would you date someone not in your profession. Say a professional pool player?

losangelena
If you love someone why not go for what you want? Ladies do you get embarrassed?

I'm not quite sure I understand this question.

Medicine is a profession. Video games (most of the time) are a hobby. I know video game-playing doctors. What happens then?

I wouldn't say women are "embarrassed" by gamers, it's more likely that there's a perceived gap in ambition between a man who is a doctor and one who chooses to spend his free time playing video games.

Women are (generally) more attracted to men with ambition and drive, so a doctor is going to probably come off as a "better catch" than a gamer. Though, a gamer or a professional pool player (to use your example) who's successful at what he does (and has other good relationship traits) will still be attractive.

This isn't an all-or-nothing scenario.

• Like 3
PrettyEmily77
Would you date someone not in your profession. Say a professional pool player?

Thinking back, I've only ever had LTRs with men in the medical field (not doctors necessarily) because that's my social / professional circle. I've no experience in OLD though, which might explain it.

I've dated a few other professional guys - so long as they were in a profession, had some ambition and a 'take-charge' kind of attitude, I had no issue with it.

• Like 2
  • Author
singlelife
I'm not quite sure I understand this question.

Medicine is a profession. Video games (most of the time) are a hobby. I know video game-playing doctors. What happens then?

I wouldn't say women are "embarrassed" by gamers, it's more likely that there's a perceived gap in ambition between a man who is a doctor and one who chooses to spend his free time playing video games.

Women are (generally) more attracted to men with ambition and drive, so a doctor is going to probably come off as a "better catch" than a gamer. Though, a gamer or a professional pool player (to use your example) who's successful at what he does (and has other good relationship traits) will still be attractive.

This isn't an all-or-nothing scenario.

I guess the success is what shows ambition. Then the attraction is from there?

losangelena
I guess the success is what shows ambition. Then the attraction is from there?

I think so, yes.

Which is not to say that all men who play video games lack ambition. I do think that we, societally, judge gamers unfairly, and that the stereotype is not always a fair representation of the men who game. At the same time, not all men who are doctors are paragons of virtue, either.

But to reiterate, yes I think women are more attracted to men who do show signs of ambition.

Edited by losangelena

singlelife, are you a gamer?

What do you do for a living?

Agree with losangelina, a doctor is a career .... a profession.

Gaming is a hobby.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i think it comes down to a guy who spends all day saving lives or a guy who kills zombies....now...i think zombie killing is an art that will be appreciated when theres a world end.....until then i think women will appreciate the guy who goes and saves lives and gets paid to do that....zombie killers dont have a good career with medical benefits option at the moment....deb

• Like 1
Art_Critic
a doctor is a career .... a profession.

Gaming is a hobby.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Unless is his talking about being a freelance gynecologist, that's a hobby :laugh:

There are professions such as 3d animation for gaming, but yeah.. I think gaming vs Doctor are not comparable since one is how someone makes a living and the other is how some kills time/stress after making a living doing something else.

I don't think a woman would look at a gamer and think he is a success when she is most likely looking at the monetary side of it.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Unless is his talking about being a freelance gynecologist, that's a hobby :laugh:

There are professions such as 3d animation for gaming, but yeah.. I think gaming vs Doctor are comparable since one is how someone makes a living and the other is how some kills time/stress after making a living doing something else.

I don't think a woman would look at a gamer and think he is a success when she is most likely looking at the monetary side of it.

I am fairly certain we are in agreement. And saying the exact same thing.

***There are professions such as 3d animation for gaming, but yeah.. I think gaming vs Doctor are comparable since one is how someone makes a living and the other is how some kills time/stress after making a living doing something else.

I suppose you could compare but as I said, it would be like comparing apples to oranges.

One is a profession, earning a living making money = apple

The other a side hobby ones does after earning a living all day = orange.

todreaminblue
About what?

i think op means by what a guy does that is for examples sake... a gamer......i think

• Like 1
GravityMan

This is an odd, apples/oranges comparison.

Playing video games is like binge-watching Netflix, shooting hoops at the park with your buds, reading mystery novels late at night, or tinkering/building something for enjoyment. They're hobbies. The man may be passionate about the hobby (which is fine as long as it doesn't become an obsession), but it's still a hobby. There is the professional gamer thing where you can make decent money off of it (eSports, Twitch, etc.) but 99.99% of gamers play games for fun during some of their spare time.

Practicing medicine is a career and/or profession, much like practicing law, being in marketing/sales, being in engineering/IT (this can include developing games), being in academia and so on. Very different thing.

Most well adjusted adults have a career (or at least a decent job or is actively trying to land one) AND multiple hobbies. Plus they also set aside some time for a social life (friends, family, colleagues, etc), and have direction in life. Gamers who have other good things going for them are going to attract others and do fine on the dating scene. The "gamer" part is just a part of their lifestyle; it doesn't define who they are.

I think insecure gamers care too much about what others think and may even feel unnecessarily ashamed of their hobby despite loving it...that insecurity and shame is going to be very unattractive to most others.

I will say though that a lot of adult guys who often play video games are lazy, physically unhealthy, have poor dress sense, seldom leave the house, spend too much time on the internet, and are socially "well behind schedule" in face-to-face interactions. That's enough to unfortunately create a stigma or stereotype about ALL gamers, even those that don't have any of the aforementioned bad things. And unfortunately a lot of people will immediately pass final judgment on a person if he's involved with something that carries a negative stigma. It's best to just ignore such judgmental people.

Doctors, etc have their own stereotypes too of course. And there are many bad people out there that are doctors or are in other highly challenging fields that pay very well. I've met some.

Professions and hobbies don't really tell you who or what kind of person the guy (or woman) really is.

• Like 1