"How's your day?"

I've noticed that guys say this a lot and I'm wondering do they say this because they want to hear the same from the woman? Do they want her to ask him how his day was everyday? Or is it just a way to start up conversation? I don't mind it but I'm just wondering if I'm missing some hidden message.

RecentChange

Both? Conversation starter - its a way to get to know someone, and maybe they just really care, about how your day was.....

My Mr. and I text each other at the end of the work day, before heading home - just about every day with "how was your day?"

Because I care how his day was, and he cares about mine.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's because we genuinely care... and a conversation starter. ;)

Both? Conversation starter - its a way to get to know someone, and maybe they just really care, about how your day was.....

My Mr. and I text each other at the end of the work day, before heading home - just about every day with "how was your day?"

Because I care how his day was, and he cares about mine.

Okay cool, thanks!

• Like 1

Im not dealing well with the texts that say nothing... just "hi how are you", "hope your day was ok"... to me this is such a time waster, EVERYONE says the same thing, it tells me nothing about the person, i get a feeling they haven't got much conversation skills...

Why not "hi, how are you? I just finished x and will go later to do y... hope it will go well as I need it for yx"... That would already be something.

Otherwise, it is like guys want me to take a lead and come up with topics and that takes a lot of effort from me. Give me something in return man! LOL

• Like 2

Maybe I'm wrong, but IMO, men aren't into making social connections like we women do...so, when a man makes an effort to initiate a conversation with me (i.e. asking "How's your day?"), yes, I take it as a sign of interest...

But.....

The question is "What is he interested in?"

IMO, and with my recent experiences with guys like my neighbor...the guy may very well be trying to chat you up because they find you attractive and/or are interested...but, some of them just wanna flirt, some wanna really get to know you, some want an ego boost - they wanna see if they "still got it".

That's how my neighbor caught my eye - even though we lived in the same hood for years. I was walking my doggies about two years ago, and he asked 'Why are you always upset?'. If a guy takes time to notice I exist and that I'm always upset, that makes me think he's been watching me and is now trying to talk to me. Well, fast forward it's been two - three years and not once has he asked me on a date, and he got married and had a kid. So, him starting that conversation with me was just some guy getting an ego boost off of flirting with a woman he found attractive.

So, when a guy initiates conversation - I say take it with a grain of salt. Be polite and respond kindly, but don't think he's going to propose. If he's really interested in you, he'll keep on making time to get to escalate it more and as long as you're warm and receptive, let him escalate the initial "How was your day?" to "Can I ask you out on a date?", "What's your tel?"

• Like 1
bluefeather

I think you are over-analyzing things. It is to find out about you and it can be used as an ice-breaker.

• Like 3
losangelena

I agree. "How was your day?" is about the most innocuous question someone can ask. If you're wondering if there's a hidden meaning, there's a problem.

• Like 3
thecrucible

I agree with everything said here. It's wrong to overanalyse something innocuous.

But I have another perspective. I once went off a guy because I felt he wasn't interested (this was after one date) as he'd send me a text every couple of days just saying "how was your day?" as if he was keeping me on a string/texting several people. So hmm I don't know.

• Like 1
I agree. "How was your day?" is about the most innocuous question someone can ask. If you're wondering if there's a hidden meaning, there's a problem.

Very true.

I actually usually do care when I ask that - just a question to learn more about the person. It doesn't need to be every day and/or reciprocated to answer the OP :D

• Like 1

"how was your day" is from a guy who wants to say hello and get to know you but has no clue how to strike up conversation.

I usually respond to see if its just because they are shy or something. Conversations have been ok with guys who have asked this but it rarely goes any further. What tends to happen is that they send a few nondescript messages and you can't get a catch on what they like or what will get them talking and opening up about themselves so it just fades away. Every now and then you can get them chatting more and get them opening up about themselves. From my experience you have a 50/50 chance of being able to get to know them better.

At least they are not asking for sex or being so dull as to just say "hey"... I never respond to "hey"...

Please also bear in mind that I am a "bold as brass" type of person so I may be frightening them off!!! :lmao:

Just had a second date with a guy who started off with "hows your day going?". Have to say it was a fantastic second date. Better than the first!

• Like 1
  • Author

The hidden meaning I was referring to was if they wanted me to ask the same question to them a lot.

I said this in my original post.

Very true.

I actually usually do care when I ask that - just a question to learn more about the person. It doesn't need to be every day and/or reciprocated to answer the OP :D

Thank you. :)

Edited by Popsicle
  • Author
"how was your day" is from a guy who wants to say hello and get to know you but has no clue how to strike up conversation.

I usually respond to see if its just because they are shy or something. Conversations have been ok with guys who have asked this but it rarely goes any further. What tends to happen is that they send a few nondescript messages and you can't get a catch on what they like or what will get them talking and opening up about themselves so it just fades away. Every now and then you can get them chatting more and get them opening up about themselves. From my experience you have a 50/50 chance of being able to get to know them better.

At least they are not asking for sex or being so dull as to just say "hey"... I never respond to "hey"...

Please also bear in mind that I am a "bold as brass" type of person so I may be frightening them off!!! :lmao:

Just had a second date with a guy who started off with "hows your day going?". Have to say it was a fantastic second date. Better than the first!

Well, the art of conversation is not so easy for some but that has never bothered me (as long as they are not being offensive). I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being rude.

No hidden meaning - It's just piss poor text game. Girls do it too.

'Hi. Are you ok? x'

'Hi, how are you :)'

'Hi, how was your week? :)'

etc.

• Like 2