Study: Men (and women) find thinner women more attractive

Here's the original study if anyone likes the thick science.

Men and women, what do you make of all of the following?

Note: This post is not a discussion of whether you agree with using BMI for anything. BMI is a robust, valid, health screening tool. If that bothers you then start a new thread.

This study rated attractiveness of DXA (x-ray) scans of women, so that only body shape was being rated (removing age and facial feature biases). European Caucasians, Asians, and Africans from 9 countries rated the pictures. Typical ages of raters were 18-50.

Some interesting findings:

1. Peak health occurs around BMI 23, so researchers expected peak attractiveness around BMI of 23-24.

2. Instead, all 3 racial groups rated the lowest BMI and body fat % to be the most attractive. This fell around a BMI of 19 and body fat of 20%. For example, that is a woman around 5'1 and 100 lbs, or 5'6 and 120 lbs.

3. In multiple studies, BMI has shown to be a better predictor of rated attractiveness than waist-to-hip ratio (the popular studies from a few decades ago).

3. Both men and women gave very similar ratings to the body types.

4. Participants failed to accurately guess the age of the scans.

5. However, participants associated lower BMI as belonging to younger women.

6. It's hypothesized that lower BMI is considered more attractive as a proxy for younger aged women.

Oh blimey you really do love to throw the cat in with the pigeons don't you...

At my skinniest I didn't weigh 8 1/2 stone and I had a natural 13" waist.

I am 5ft 5".

There is no hope in hell of me ever getting that slim unless I starve myself and become anorexic. To put it bluntly the admiration of random strangers who are clearly highly superficial is just not worth the damage to my self esteem and confidence.

I am still not going to jerk off to X-ray images of men and women... All seems a bit pathetic to me. Give me a REAL man complete with lumpy bits.

• Like 8
  • Author

This actually mirrors my own studies into male attractiveness (especially as an aging, late 30's male). A few years ago, that lead me to the conclusion:

The single most effective way for a man to appear more attractive is to exercise, lose weight, and tone up. Specifically, lose the belly. Women associate the male belly with being older, and thus less attractive. Women are (physically) attracted to youth as well.

BTW, the most attractive BMI for men is around 24, or 6 foot and 180lbs.

• Like 1

Men prefer a slim (not necessarily 'thin') physique, and women prefer an athletic physique.

Just obvious really.

• Like 1

Urgh no!

Not attractive at all and also FAR too skinny!

Never been attracted to any men that skinny EVER.

No no no.

• Like 6

Women with under 24% Body fat are underweight and unhealthy.

Those are the women we see on front of Magazines and they represent 3% of the entire population.

I can dig 10 different studies saying men prefer women with curves. Actually what men find attractive is the ratio waist/hip. More definition you have between your waist and your hips more attractive you are to men and this at size 4 or size 14.

I have been at 125-lbs and at 150-lbs. I got a huge amount of attention from men at 150-lbs because it's at that weight I have the desired ratio waist/hip.

I don't care what those studies say, I have dated around the clock, I have been out there in the field, and I know exactly what most men find attractive.

• Author
Oh blimey you really do love to throw the cat in with the pigeons don't you...

At my skinniest I didn't weigh 8 1/2 stone and I had a natural 13" waist.

I am 5ft 5".

There is no hope in hell of me ever getting that slim unless I starve myself and become anorexic. To put it bluntly the admiration of random strangers who are clearly highly superficial is just not worth the damage to my self esteem and confidence.

I am still not going to jerk off to X-ray images of men and women... All seems a bit pathetic to me. Give me a REAL man complete with lumpy bits.

Well you have wiggle room as attractiveness holds up pretty well through 30% body fat.

LookAtThisPOst
This actually mirrors my own studies into male attractiveness (especially as an aging, late 30's male). A few years ago, that lead me to the conclusion:

The single most effective way for a man to appear more attractive is to exercise, lose weight, and tone up. Specifically, lose the belly. Women associate the male belly with being older, and thus less attractive. Women are (physically) attracted to youth as well.

Yep, check out the BMI charts, 24 is underweight at ANY height.

Johnny Wilkinson

5ft 10

193 lbs

Brian O'Driscoll

5ft 10

205 lbs

Jonah Lomu

6ft 5

262lbs

I have picked very sexy rugby players as their stats are easy to find.

Do not tell me that any of the above are/ were anything less than the ultimate at their sport, very fit, very sexy and drop dead gorgeous. All three have massive followings of women desperate to get into their boxers.

Oh and according to this stupid study massively over weight and unattractive. Nuh uh...

Time for a reality check...

• Like 2
ChickiePops

Wait. So you're saying that some people think that skinny people are attractive? Well color me shocked!!! This is brand new information!

• Like 5

I think the results are accurate - of course, individual preference does matter, and not everyone finds slender appealing.

I do find slender appealing. Most of the women I've dated (and the one I married) had/have BMI from 19 to 22, and usually closer to the lower number. However, I've dated some "thicker" women who were also very attractive - attraction is about far more than these physical traits, but the physical traits are constraints, at least for me.

Wait. So you're saying that some people think that skinny people are attractive? Well color me shocked!!! This is brand new information!

Sorry I am now busy dribbling over Richie McCaw...

What a lardy...

6ft2

238lbs

But oh my days all I can think is... lunch...

Even with a silly fuzzy hair cut he is.... edible... I wouldn't even need condiments...

Funnily enough he also have a brain, achievements, skill... Just like the others I have quoted...

Super skinny is as super skinny does... and it does not do it for me at all.

• Like 1

But just 5 pounds more and the person would qualify as overweight ( BMI > 25)

Which can't be healthy .... I think it is even worse than proposing someone to go underweight because it's so easy to cross the BMI 25 line (eg 6 foot tall dude 185 lbs)

If and only if the dude is bodybuilder (excess muscle mass) this weight will be ok

A skinny dude (but still BMI normal!) would be 140 lbs, not 180!

Urgh no!

Not attractive at all and also FAR too skinny!

Never been attracted to any men that skinny EVER.

No no no.

The hips/waist method was mentioned a couple times ....wouldn't this be a good opportunity to post a photo of Jessica Alba to demonstrate, one more time? :D (She's like the spokeswoman for the perfect hips/waist ratio.)

Hm, looking at X-rays strikes me as similar to looking at drawings. And you know what kind of drawings of women ppl find arousing - 20 inch waists, 40 inch hips, 50 inch busts. Perfectly toned arms and legs. Pre-pubescent faces. In other words women who don't exist. ;)

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

I get a lot of misconceptions on what I'll find attractive because I'm a personal trainer and very fit. But to be honest, extremely slender women in the size 0-4 range have never done anything for me. When a woman looks like a human stick figure with her ass/hips meeting in a straight line, it's a turn off. I've always been drawn more to curvy/voluptuous women who are more pin-up era style. Size 8-12, 140-160lbs, athletic/fit but healthy looking, etc..

But I will also add that I am not attracted to obese women whatsoever and these days some women tend to get way too generous with the term "curvy".

Johnny Wilkinson

5ft 10

193 lbs

Brian O'Driscoll

5ft 10

205 lbs

Jonah Lomu

6ft 5

262lbs

I have picked very sexy rugby players as their stats are easy to find.

Do not tell me that any of the above are/ were anything less than the ultimate at their sport, very fit, very sexy and drop dead gorgeous. All three have massive followings of women desperate to get into their boxers.

Oh and according to this stupid study massively over weight and unattractive. Nuh uh...

Time for a reality check...

The men you ve picked in your example are/ were professional athletes (Jonah Lomu passed away) , and therefore they exercise (used to exercise) daily. They are muscular and it is a fact that muscles weight more than fat.

You just cant compare the stats (height/weight) of someone who is muscular,train daily with your "regular"person that doesn't exercise at all or very little,and expect them to look the same even if they have a similar height ad height....

205 lbs on your regular man of 5ft10 , he's not going to look muscular and fit, he's going to look fat

• Like 2
HereNorThere

There is very conflicting information regarding this study you've posted. I've done extensive research and from my understanding, most studies show that the attraction to smaller, more petite women directly correlates with the socio-economic status of the male.

In more developed countries where food is abundant, women who are smaller are considered more attractive by societal standards. In developing countries and less affluent cultures, bigger women are more sought after. So much so, that a lot of girls are force-fed to gain weight to increase their chances of finding a mate. There are have been lots documentaries over this practice.

Here is a great Vice documentary about for feeding in Mauritania. For those who can't watch videos, it's about women being forced into camps to be force fed camels milk until they gain weight. It's a really cruel practice and very wasteful given the fact that for is in such short supply there.

The Fat Farms of Mauritania | VICE | United States

You can even notice the difference in what people find "attractive" based on popular culture. Notice how different ethnicities prefer larger women and lust after larger bums and breast. As hiphop becomes more mainstream, those preferences also become more mainstream. I have a friend who could not get a date in 90s because men thought she was too "thick" but now men can't get enough of her. She certainly likes the change in popular culture.

I have a feeling that study removed too many variable to get an accurate representation of what people find attractive.

• Like 3
serial muse
Well you have wiggle room as attractiveness holds up pretty well through 30% body fat.

*snerk*

ba-dum-bum

• Like 3

Super interesting!

I've been at different weights at my 5'7, I got most attention at ~125 indeed - BMI 19.3!

I also felt healthiest at that weight.

I think I was looking best at 120 lbs (BMI 18.6), but men thought I'm too skinny.

Now that I entered the 130-140 range (BMI 21-22), I still feel healthy, but attract less attention from men.... And just generally look older. Ugh, maybe because I gain the weight in my face :(... For someone with bigger facial bones it will look just fine.

Bra size is the plus: 120 lbs A-B, 125 lbs B-C, 130lbs - C-D, after 133-135 lbs -D. Haha, I miss my small Bs :D

Here's the original study if anyone likes the thick science.

Men and women, what do you make of all of the following?

Note: This post is not a discussion of whether you agree with using BMI for anything. BMI is a robust, valid, health screening tool. If that bothers you then start a new thread.

This study rated attractiveness of DXA (x-ray) scans of women, so that only body shape was being rated (removing age and facial feature biases). European Caucasians, Asians, and Africans from 9 countries rated the pictures. Typical ages of raters were 18-50.

Some interesting findings:

1. Peak health occurs around BMI 23, so researchers expected peak attractiveness around BMI of 23-24.

2. Instead, all 3 racial groups rated the lowest BMI and body fat % to be the most attractive. This fell around a BMI of 19 and body fat of 20%. For example, that is a woman around 5'1 and 100 lbs, or 5'6 and 120 lbs.

3. In multiple studies, BMI has shown to be a better predictor of rated attractiveness than waist-to-hip ratio (the popular studies from a few decades ago).

3. Both men and women gave very similar ratings to the body types.

4. Participants failed to accurately guess the age of the scans.

5. However, participants associated lower BMI as belonging to younger women.

6. It's hypothesized that lower BMI is considered more attractive as a proxy for younger aged women.

• Like 1
  • Author
Sorry I am now busy dribbling over Richie McCaw...

What a lardy...

6ft2

238lbs

So your targets are the 0.1% of men that manage to become a pro athlete. And you think the scientists are being unrealistic! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Author

In more developed countries where food is abundant, women who are smaller are considered more attractive by societal standards. In developing countries and less affluent cultures, bigger women are more sought after. So much so, that a lot of girls are force-fed to gain weight to increase their chances of finding a mate. There are have been lots documentaries over this practice.

Thanks for your intelligent consideration. You are correct in that other studies have shown that both "hunger" and "stress" will lead men to be more attracted to fatter women.

The study I cited did not correct for those factors which probably explains why the trend was not as strong in the participants from Senegal and Nigeria. However, those 2 countries still showed a moderately positive correlation (around r=0.6). The skinniest women's ratings fell off a bit, but obese women were still considered less attractive.

edit: Also note the raters came from major cities in all countries. The force-fed practices you mentioned tend to come from village/tribal type locations.

So your targets are the 0.1% of men that manage to become a pro athlete. And you think the scientists are being unrealistic! :laugh:

Exactly, what I said , can't compare the stats of professional athletes to "regular" men that dont train, exercise, watch their diet on a daily basis like professional sportsmen do!