Dating Women Over 50

I have noticed that dating women who are over the age of 50 is different. I know I am generalizing and some of you will prove me wrong but my experience has been:

They are more serious and less fun, are less aggressive, do not text or sext as much and sex seems to be less important.

Just my observation / experience. A huge difference from women in their mid 40's.

If you're also over 50, but are used to dating younger people, part of that could be expectations. I'm used to dating my generation, throughout life, and see little difference or change throughout the decades, meaning reality matched up pretty well with expectations. Today, I'd expect women of my generation to be focused on their careers, social/civic duties, their children and grandchildren and men are nice for socializing and some romance when they feel like it. They've, generally, been there and done that and are comfortable with themselves, independent and living their lives for them and not worried about or even thinking about the milieu with any particular man as being a front burner item in their life.

If you find similar and wish for something different, either try a different demographic or age range or expect a relatively thin dating pool and enjoy compatible examples as they appear.

• Like 6
I have noticed that dating women who are over the age of 50 is different. I know I am generalizing and some of you will prove me wrong but my experience has been:

They are more serious and less fun, are less aggressive, do not text or sext as much and sex seems to be less important.

My experience:

I'm 56. I'm quite fun, but I'm also responsible and disciplined, which comes across as me being serious about things which require me being serious.

Texting is a waste of time and I really don't like it outside of confirming information. You can't divine intent with text. And sexting--ugh! Just come over.

Perhaps the women you've experienced are over sex, but I certainly am not. I still enjoy it and always look forward to it.

Just my observation / experience. A huge difference from women in their mid 40's.

Yeah... just like the huge difference between 11 and 21. Lots of life happens to one within a 10 year span.

I didn't enjoy my 40's that much--a lot of unnecessary turmoil with my ex during those years. I'm having a blast in my 50's, with this year so far being the exception due to health issues. I'm sure things will right themselves for me soon enough.

• Like 8

I'm in the range of 50.

I am very goal oriented. But I also only have three modes. Work, chill and play.

I text more since I got a smart phone and can talk to text. But, I also hate spending 20 minutes texting when a two minute conversation will cover all the details.

My time is important. I also work with my hands, so texting is NOT convenient.

I've done some sexting. I'd say it added a nice little nudge to things when I was long distance with someone.

I'm pretty assertive in the bedroom. For a while. I don't mind showing/telling once or twice what I like, don't like and what I prefer. What I've come across are some lazy men who seem to think it is foreplay to have me repeat and describe what I want. It isn't. The role of teacher - particularly with someone who must require a dunce cap - is a turn off, at least for me.

I'm also desperately waiting for this hormone surge to end. I hate being this horny and unsatisfied.

Concise.yet spontaneous. Willing to remain teachable... Yet not gullable.

I agree that picking up the phone or meeting in person has been undervalued for quite awhile.

So over , done,stick a fork in it, with the "gage" the sexual libido. When it happens its great. Its not life or death ... Its a source of intimacy ..

Less superficial , Less materialistic.

More community conscious. More serene.

Yup Over 50 ... mind is less sharp and the good part is... I argue less, since I forget more ;)

• Like 3
  • Author

Yes they are definitely less aggressive, less sexually focused and more community, family, goals oriented. Seems like they want a friend / companion versus a lover....or maybe its just n that order versus the other way around LOL

They definitely use the phone way more and text less. More than once iv'e sent a flirty text which was an easy, fun, conversation starter only to get no response or little feedback (WTF?). It was a prime lead in for texters.

Its just different. I'll take women in their 40's any day!!!

LookAtThisPOst

Yes, and this is the age bracket why they tend to get less superficial and less caring about looks.

• Author

Ive dated and am currently seeing a woman in her 50's and this is the basis for my post.

We go out to dinner, have a few drinks, laugh, great conversation, fun, kiss a few times in the parking lots and say goodnight. Even though she lives 10 minutes away and her kids are off in college - we go our separate ways.

I wont tell you what would have happened with a younger woman other than to say we would have spent hours in the parking lot and put on a show for passers by :)

So just because you have experience dating a couple of over 50 year old women, you now suddenly feel qualified to know exactly how all women over 50 conduct their romantic lives as well as their lives in general? :laugh:

I find it quite comical how you say "they" do this and "they" do that, as though you speak for an entire generation of women, just because the few you've dated tend to have those similarities. I'm over 50 and recently married. Ask my husband what happened on a Saturday night a couple of weeks ago and he'll laugh at your description of what all over-50 year old women are supposedly like. Yes, he sure would.

• Like 9
Ive dated and am currently seeing a woman in her 50's and this is the basis for my post.

We go out to dinner, have a few drinks, laugh, great conversation, fun, kiss a few times in the parking lots and say goodnight. Even though she lives 10 minutes away and her kids are off in college - we go our separate ways.

I wont tell you what would have happened with a younger woman other than to say we would have spent hours in the parking lot and put on a show for passers by :)

I see the problem is you. You want more then get it. She won't give more then get another woman.

• Like 4
I'm also desperately waiting for this hormone surge to end. I hate being this horny and unsatisfied.

Girl!!!!! You too?

• Like 3

Perhaps you're really not doing it for her, so she's not going to extend herself like that.

Speaking for myself, putting on a show for passers-by isn't where my head is. It's for me and him, not everyone else. If I wanted to put on a show for others, I'd go to Hedonism II, which I did for my 50th birthday.

• Like 7
A huge difference from women in their mid 40's.

Yes they are definitely less aggressive, less sexually focused and more community, family, goals oriented.

Today, I'd expect women of my generation to be focused on their careers, social/civic duties, their children and grandchildren and men are nice for socializing and some romance when they feel like it. They've, generally, been there and done that and are comfortable with themselves, independent and living their lives for them and not worried about or even thinking about the milieu with any particular man as being a front burner item in their life.

I guess for me it is not about the woman’s age but type and what you are looking for.

I’m 52 and typically date women who are slightly older, but the main thing for me is I seek women who are not only attractive but emotionally secure, financially secure, educated, confident.

A significant number of women I met in their 40’s (even when I was still in 40’s) were still dealing with kid issues, seriously insecure, selfish and many were in the middle of going back to school, pursuing advanced degrees and changing careers and I absolutely knew dating them would be pointless because I would never be near the top of their priority list.

“less sexually focused?” NOT AT ALL in my experience, completely the opposite. Again this comes to what type of women are you pursuing? I’m never going to consider anyone with young kids, baby daddy issues, broke, uneducated or under educated, medicated…

The bold part of the last quote brings it home and very typical of at least what I have experienced.

Perhaps you're really not doing it for her, so she's not going to extend herself like that.

Good point.

• Like 1

I have been listening/reading to a lot of Dr. Pay Allen's material. She discusses often studies from the 1960s and later about how women when they hit menopause stop producing as much estrogen. So they start acting a lot more like men. This also means they can have sex without the same level of attachment as younger women (and why you see cougars with boy toys). There is something else that helps the body deal with a lack of sex when that person hasn't had sex in awhile so that could be what you are experiencing with these women. But women peak sexually in their 40s.

Men start producing more estrogen and less testosterone. So they actually become more emotional; less logic driven. They also start attaching during sex unlike when they are younger. There are some exceptions like left-handed men but most men will act more like younger women.

• Like 2
Rejected Rosebud

Firstly I have no idea why you are dating this woman in her 50's and even MORE why she would be dating you, since you are not interested in a relationship and evidently she is not interested in fun casual sex ... with YOU in any case.

It's odd that you attribute this to her age, and also believe that just because a woman is younger that she will be making out with you in public. :rolleyes:

IMO usually these types of things have more to do with the personalities of the individuals, and their level of attraction to their dates than how old they are!!

• Like 5
Yes, and this is the age bracket why they tend to get less superficial and less caring about looks.

I take it you mean we're less choosy about who we'll accept in our lives. Because there's so much more to people than looks and other superficial BS!

So, so true! Fifties are the best! :)

• Like 4

I guess, being over 50 myself, I've noticed that younger guys are less respectful, have poor manners, are overly casual. Sexting might be something for people in a relationship together but not just for any young guy who fancies a bit of texting fantasy.

Sex is just as important as when I was younger. The problem is finding someone who is intelligent, respectful, considerate and not already married!

I suppose we are more serious in that we don't want to be messed around by someone younger who thinks over-50s are gagging for any sexual opportunity. Maybe we are more likely to suss a guy out before feeling relaxed with him.

I don't know what women in their mid 40s are like but they were born in a different time. Maybe they don't remember their teenage neighbour 'disappearing' while adults spoke in hushed tones and talked scandal. This was the 1960s, the age of freedom. She got pregnant and might as well have disappeared off the planet. There are a lot of misconceptions (no pun intended) about what life was like in the 1960s. In my experience, it wasn't fun and freedom - that was for the rock stars.

I think you will find that women over 50 have a different perspective to you, coloured by the times they grew up in.

Edited by spiderowl
  • Like 1
Michelle ma Belle

Hmm...well I just turned 47 and am no where NEAR being done with being fun, adventurous, sexually aggressive, adore sexting/phone sex etc. or see sex as being anything but extremely important to a relationship so :p

Having said that, I WILL say that the older I get the less I'm willing to engage and indulge in endless random and meaningless sexual banter with complete strangers like I used to. And there is plenty of it on OLD. I much rather save that energy for men who have more to offer beyond just stringing a few chosen words together for sh*ts and giggles.

It's called being discerning and it has nothing to do with being less sexual or fun.

• Like 7
So just because you have experience dating a couple of over 50 year old women, you now suddenly feel qualified to know exactly how all women over 50 conduct their romantic lives as well as their lives in general? :laugh:

I find it quite comical how you say "they" do this and "they" do that, as though you speak for an entire generation of women, just because the few you've dated tend to have those similarities. I'm over 50 and recently married. Ask my husband what happened on a Saturday night a couple of weeks ago and he'll laugh at your description of what all over-50 year old women are supposedly like. Yes, he sure would.

Totally agree with LG....

There was another thread similar to this a few months back, and I will give the same answer on this thread as I did on that thread.

Those 50+ women you claim are more serious and less fun, are less aggressive, do not text or sext as much and sex seems to be less important were mostly like the SAME EXACT WAY when in their 20s, 30s and 40s.

This has nothing to do with age....but with their overall personalities in general.

• Like 3
Girl!!!!! You too?

HOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLIIIIINNNNGGG.....It is NEVER going to end!

What's even worse, I want quality over quantity. I could go swinging anytime I want, but unless it's an orgy and I'm slightly tipsy, it isn't going to do it.

My local swingers club is more swappers, so I'm often stuck with the men whose wives aren't in a dickly mood that night. My selection is limited to who is available, not mecessarily who I'm interested in?

Totally agree with LG....

There was another thread similar to this a few months back, and I will give the same answer on this thread as I did on that thread.

Those 50+ women you claim are more serious and less fun, are less aggressive, do not text or sext as much and sex seems to be less important were mostly like the SAME EXACT WAY when in their 20s, 30s and 40s.

This has nothing to do with age....but with their overall personalities in general.

i think this is equally inaccurate the second time around. My standards have adjusted thru the years. My personality has changed as well since ,as we age some of us are less angst driven and more genteel towards life matters.

Thank goodness Life and circumstances allow such modifications.

Op, you might fair well with the less mature who are still formulating their own behaviors. A romp in a car is less about age and more about their level of acceptable standards.

• Author

Like I said, its a generalization based on MY experiences - mostly from OLD.

I certainly hope that I am wrong...especially as I move into the 50s myself.

I believe "discerning" is a better description.

This was an interesting thread for me, being in my early 40s, it was interesting to see the responses from all these fabulous 50 yo women and see that life can be great there too, thank you for that :)

• Like 3