Ok, I've seen a lot of posts on here that deal with "flirting". What exactly is it and please give me some detailed examples on "flirting". Thanks.

It's a method of expressing romantic / sexual interest.

It's a little bit of humor, a bit of lust, a bit of like all rolled into a way to communicate with a potential love interest.

It can be a touch, a look, a tilt of the head. Watch a romantic comedy to see it in action

• Author

It's a little bit of humor, a bit of lust, a bit of like all rolled into a way to communicate with a potential love interest.

It can be a touch, a look, a tilt of the head. Watch a romantic comedy to see it in action

Uh, yeah. Ok.

I don't know, I see flirting as saying or hinting at how you feel. Sometimes it's nonverbal and is more of a physical expression of how you feel. This is why I despise people who flirt just for the heck of it or for fun and don't mean it, because I always mean it when I do it, whereas they are just playing around.

So, basically if you hint at what you feel and make it charming or funny or sexy or coy, then you would be flirting.

And there are whole websites dedicated to teaching men how to flirt. Sites geared towards teaching men the "art of seduction".

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Merge
  • Author

So I checked out a few websites and even Wikipedia. Seems to me like "flirting" could easily be mistaken as someone just being nice to you. I'm still confused I guess.

You're right.... sometimes people think someone's 'flirting" with them when they're just being nice. It's their nature. I've known guys that have done that and then try to pursue things a little farther only to embarrass themselves.

I usually note it in body language and focus. When I'm in doubt, I compare to similar with a guy nearby who appears to attract the ladies. If focus is easily diverted, then not really flirting. If remaining focused and in my space, more likely. Also, personal compared to topical. This is an area where openers are important, meaning expressing uniqueness that others who want to flirt can pick up on and run with in comments or conversation. That can be in appearance, perspective, body language, whatever.

On the other side, since I'm not an 'in her space' type flirt, it's more focus, direct eye contact, some light banter and innuendo, probably something more akin to what you'd see in a Cary Grant movie. Other things or people don't distract me.

Of course, I've experienced the more obvious flirting, the sexual stuff, but that's, well, obvious, so I'm presuming you're interested in more subtle forms. Overall, as I shared in a recent thread on the topic, my relationships/marriage resulted from the more subtle expressions that really had to be looked for/perceived. They weren't obvious, at least compared to the variety I've experienced in life. In my demographic that makes sense because the more obvious women are swamped and, conversely, men must be more obvious in order to be noticed. That was a harsh lesson I had to learn as a younger man. Subtle didn't get much play. It still doesn't, generally, but I'm OK with it now.

Like was shared, there are plenty of comprehensive resources out there on the internet to read. My advice is try different stuff and see what sticks. That's what I ended up doing, along with being more discerning about relationship status of the flirts I encountered.

JustGettingBy
So I checked out a few websites and even Wikipedia. Seems to me like "flirting" could easily be mistaken as someone just being nice to you. I'm still confused I guess.

It is. Even experts get it wrong sometimes.

• Like 1

Google site:nicknotas.com flirt

I like Nick's writings. Easy to ready and comprehend. Hasn't gotten me anywhere, but easy reads none the less.

• Like 1
Google site:nicknotas.com flirt

I like Nick's writings. Easy to ready and comprehend. Hasn't gotten me anywhere, but easy reads none the less.

Great share. I like the cut of this guy's jib. He gets it. I live in Boston too so I might recommend him to a friend now.

GorillaTheater

And how are YOU doin', Donni? ;)

Kind of like that, Deckard. Only, you know, more suave and stuff.