Giving up on women and living a life of solitude in Alaska

Let's face it, most girls have had a boyfriend by the time they graduated high school. A lot of girls at my college stay in close touch and/or are still dating their high school boyfriends.

Hell, there is this girl named Collene that I like and I found out she was up late last night skyping this boy who lives back at home. She is in college so ybd assumption is she met him in high school.

I missed that boat. All the girls I will meet from now on will have baggage of some sort. There is no way around that. I never got to experience that young love most people got to experience.

****, I am 21 right now and have only played around with girls. I never was able to muster up an actual emotional bondage or a relationship as a teenager. And as they all say, you never forget your first love. In fact, adolescent love bonds are often the strongest. You can reunite later and pick up right where you left off.

I am tired of being depressed and seeing couples all around me. I think in order to avoid triggers, I may have to move away far from human contact.

Does Alaska sound good? And do you think this is a feasible solution? Will I go crazy?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
name changed
normal person
Let's face it, most girls have had a boyfriend by the time they graduated high school. A lot of girls at my college stay in close touch and/or are still dating their high school boyfriends.

"A lot" might be, but that's subjective. "A lot" might mean several hundred in your college class of thousands. Most aren't. And the ones that are likely won't last. I can only think of one or two couples from my high school that ended up staying together and getting married. It's very uncommon unless you live in the south.

Hell, there is this girl named Collene that I like and I found out she was up late last night skyping this boy who lives back at home. She is in college so ybd assumption is she met him in high school.

I missed that boat. All the girls I will meet from now on will have baggage of some sort. There is no way around that. I never got to experience that young love most people got to experience.

****, I am 21 right now and have only played around with girls. I never was able to muster up an actual emotional bondage or a relationship as a teenager. And as they all say, you never forget your first love.

In fact, adolescent love bonds are often the strongest. You can reunite later and pick up right where you left off.

This is not nearly as big of a deal as you think it is. "Adolescent love bonds" are not often the strongest, did you just make that up? If that were the case, most people would get married to people they "loved" in adolescence. That doesn't happen.

I am tired of being depressed and seeing couples all around me. I think in order to avoid triggers, I may have to move away far from human contact.

Does Alaska sound good? And do you think this is a feasible solution? Will I go crazy?

Wouldn't it be more practical to try and do something about it rather than just give up and move to Alaska? You're 21 years old. You've got the better part of a decade left to experience whatever you want with regards to women. Missing out on that would really make you go crazy. You've got more than enough time.

• Like 1

If you like the cold, Alaska is good. If you can find work, it usually pays really well, especially in my industry.

Land used to be cheap or free, back when I was looking at that idea 30 years ago or so. Don't know how things are now. It seemed pretty bustling when we'd visit on cruises when I was married. Surprisingly, during summer, when we drove inland, it was a lot like California, the mountain parts here anyway.

I would say I considered the move because I enjoyed living off the land and having a wife or female companion wasn't critical and being comfortable with that was crucial if moving to a place where few women would want to live.

30 years later, and a little wiser, I'm moving to similarly scenic, though not as cold, locale, and one where women actually outnumber men, which will be a first for me. If that lovin' feelin' ever comes back, heh, live a little. Kinda hard to do in a cabin by a river in wild Alaska. Good luck with your choice.

And as they all say, you never forget your first love.

Who's 'they'? And since when are 'they' the oracle, the voice of truth and the purveyor of gospel?

People may remember their fist love. But they also remember their first driving lesson, first time going for a job interview, first house they bought.

Being first does not make it most important or most significant. Or magical for that matter.

In fact, adolescent love bonds are often the strongest.

Not a 'fact'. At all.

What is a 'fact' however is that you've created a plethora of threads where you are lamenting this fairy-tale first love nonsense. And in all those threads people have told you the fallacy of this notion.

You just refuse to listen.

You can reunite later and pick up right where you left off.

Only in LifeTime or Disney movies. Hardly ever in real life, because ehm, real life happens in the meantime....

Last time I checked, there are people in Alaska, male and female. Chances are you'll see plenty of couples there too.

A more feasible solution, put to you many times before by several posters, is to get professional help for your obsession.

• Like 4

Actually, Alaska worked out pretty well for Wolverine (for a while) and Dexter.

[]

Individual and group berating
  • Like 3

Moving to Alaska will just make it harder to find a gf. It's got the second highest fraction of males of all 50 US states (only N Dakota is higher). Population Distribution by Gender | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation You'd be better off trying some place with a higher ratio of females. How about by city? http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/02/where-in-the-us-are-there-more-single-men-than-women/385369/Assuming you actually want to do something about your situation. Age 21 seems young to be throwing in the towel.

• Like 1

Just remember, "No matter where you go, there you are."

What would be the difference of living a monastic life in Alaska versus where you are living now?

[]

References to other threads redacted
  • Like 8
thefooloftheyear

Heck, you can go to the moon, but then you'd have to worry about Alice Kramden...

Resistance is futile....get used to it....

TFY

• Like 2
Moving to Alaska will just make it harder to find a gf.

I think that's his point.

I wonder if the bus Christopher McCandless died in is still there? It seemed to have plenty of vacancies.

OP, make sure you buy the right book on edible plants.

• Like 2

OP, here's a typical example of land offered by the Alaskan government for staking out your claim to the wilderness. Personally, if I liked the area, I'd pick parcel 1109 because it juts out into the lake and would, all else being equal, make a great cabin site and place to park a float plane.

Oh, yeah, that's another thing about Alaska, getting around. I'd only do it now is if I had a PPL and a float/ski plane. After having flown around parts of the state in bush planes, it's the only way to go unless one is living in one of the cities or developed areas. Tricky and expensive, yup, but that's part of the adventure. Another option is a snowmobile or sled and dogs. Still, one can be a long way from services. I'm mentioning this because of your 'life of solitude' in Alaska in the title.

Personally, though I've not spent more than a couple months total in the state over my lifetime, I liked it. Probably not a place for an old guy to live alone, health and all but a young guy could really make a go of things. Develop a skillset that you can barter or sell for supplies and live off the land and enjoy nature. Something for everyone. I recall, a couple decades ago, NPT (public television) doing a documentary on a young guy who went there to get away from it all and ended up marrying a local Eskimo girl and became part of their community. Anything is possible.

• Like 1

I was a virgin (by repeated choice) until 20. I met my first love at 21 and was amazing.

Yes baggage can suck -believe me I have dealt with womens baggage issues - but lets be honest you have created your OWN baggage right now. - even if you met a female virgin who never new love until you. When you find real love baggage is not so much an issue.

I was unfortunate enough to live in Alaska for a year and a half many years ago. I thought it was the most god awful place on earth, the armpit of the world. The suicide rate was higher than anyplace else I have ever been. If you did not drink, it was enough to turn you to drink. If you did not drink, drugs seemed to be the best option. In the 18 months I was there, I enjoyed both nice days. My wife talked me into going there this summer on a cruise, but only after she promised to buy me the booze option on the ship.

• Like 7
strawberryshortstack

****, I am 21 right now and have only played around with girls. I never was able to muster up an actual emotional bondage or a relationship as a teenager. And as they all say, you never forget your first love. In fact, adolescent love bonds are often the strongest. You can reunite later and pick up right where you left off.

I'm 42. I have baggage. Every man I meet has baggage. But you know what? I'm involved in a relationship now with a wonderful 47 year old man, and it's the best relationship of my life. Both of us feel very lucky to have met the other - baggage and all. It's WAY too early for you to give up.

• Like 1
MuddyFootprints

I think you'd be going for the wrong reason.

I've fantasized about extreme northern living and would love to try a year in the Yukon.

As Carhill stated, it's probably not in the cards at this point in our lives.

I'm not reading it as a lifestyle you are prepared for, yet.

Oh..sweetheart..you cannot give up at 21 years old. You just can't.

Having caught up on your past threads, I feel the need to retract this statement...your behavior towards your crush and towards the 16 year old girl whose virginity you took has been revolting. Please get yourself some help before you attempt to date again.

• Like 4
WaitingForBardot
I was unfortunate enough to live in Alaska for a year and a half many years ago. I thought it was the most god awful place on earth, the armpit of the world. The suicide rate was higher than anyplace else I have ever been. If you did not drink, it was enough to turn you to drink. If you did not drink, drugs seemed to be the best option. In the 18 months I was there, I enjoyed both nice days. My wife talked me into going there this summer on a cruise, but only after she promised to buy me the booze option on the ship.

..lol..

10 char...

LOL, most relationships formed by your age don't stand the test of time. High school relationships most certainly don't last and "young love" is nothing great, you have a totally wrong idea. At the tender age of 21, you have your entire life AHEAD of you, not the other way round.

Edited by Leucine

His idea sounds kind of appealing though...

On some level.

I feel so content alone now. The freedom. The solitude.

Has me wondering why I want to change any of it.

WaitingForBardot

The Alaskan frontier is beautiful. Another thing to bear in mind though LW, beyond the low ratio of women to men, is the women that are there, the frontier women anyway, tend to be on the meatier side. In the cold, your volume to surface area ratio really matters.

I seem to remember another thread where you were very concerned about women's health and the impact that extra weight has on them. :p

His idea sounds kind of appealing though...

On some level.

I feel so content alone now. The freedom. The solitude.

Has me wondering why I want to change any of it.

Maybe you should join him...