Is love a choice? Or is it biological?

Let's say you been in a few relationships in your life. One starting when you were a teen when your hormones were firing. Then you had one in college and then you find someone in your 20s and marry them.

10 years go by while you are married and you run into the person you loved as a teenager. You have not seen this young love for years and years and you run into them unintentionally and stunned. You are immediately reminded of what you once had. Then you have to leave because you have to be somewhere else. You know once you leave you may never see or hear from him or her again. If this is you in this situation, do you think that deep inside you that you regret not reconnecting? Do you fight that urge because you know you are married and you choose (as a choice) to remain faithful to your spouse or does the feelings for your spouse far superceed the feelings of your past lover in that situation? Would you be tempted?

I knew this Canadian man who used to say

Love is a Hollywood invention.

:(

If I were you, I'd go back to my high school/teenage sweetheart/love...especially if she was your first.

Life is too short to be in a marriage with someone missing what your teenage love has to offer.

Good luck!!!

Would I be tempted to return to my first lover from 25 years ago if I ran into him again? Would old feelings resurface? Bahaha! Hell no

And yes, I did meet him again a few years ago. It was a fun catchup - but the feeling was all about being in the present. It wasn't some type of silly teenage love reminder.

• Like 1
Would I be tempted to return to my first lover from 25 years ago if I ran into him again? Would old feelings resurface? Bahaha! Hell no

And yes, I did meet him again a few years ago. It was a fun catchup - but the feeling was all about being in the present. It wasn't some type of silly teenage love reminder.

I disagree. Statistics show that high school sweethearts who marry, stay married for periods like 20 years as a minimum. I think that the OP made a mistake in not marrying his teenage first love.

I disagree. Statistics show that high school sweethearts who marry, stay married for periods like 20 years as a minimum. I think that the OP made a mistake in not marrying his teenage first love.

To prove my point:

http://http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rekindling-first-loves-later-in-life/

So, I'm behind the OP when it comes to getting back with his teenage love...people are doing it and it's working out better than even when they were teens!!!

I think you need to read all of OP's threads before stating that. He hasn't had a first love, or rather, he hasn't been someone's first. And he's obsessed with this fact to the point of exhibiting stalkerish behavior.

His writings are quite disturbing, actually.

• Like 2
  • Author

Look at @Gloria21's comment and link

And you even met up with your first love years later. I know deep down inside you have feelings for him

• Author
To prove my point:

http://http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rekindling-first-loves-later-in-life/

So, I'm behind the OP when it comes to getting back with his teenage love...people are doing it and it's working out better than even when they were teens!!!

There is two angles that attack that point

The CBS article states, first love couples that are single and reunite have a 70 percent chance of getting back together for good

Dr. Nancy Kalish, however, says

About two-thirds of my participants chose to reunite with their first loves, but the success rate of first loves compared to people who reunite with their college loves (or even crushes from childhood!) is not significantly different. So being a first love couple is not sufficient or necessary for having a successful reunion, even though all those raging teenage hormones were experienced

[/Quote]

2.50 a gallon

My teenage crush, was with a sophomore, whose family was very into a cult like religion. No drinking, no partying, no playing cards, it was like anything fun was a sin. Had her parents been able to afford it she would have gone to a religious academy. She had some close girl friends from the same religion who were the sisters of my best friend. So we did get to see each other, but never alone. One time she did talk her parents into letting her go with her friends to a school dance. We danced some, but pretty much stayed apart due to prying eyes. Last dance, we moved to the far side of the floor and it was there she wrapped her arms around me and pull me down for a kiss. Our one and only. Tattle tale brother saw it and she never got to go again.

I eventually gave up, graduated and moved onto college life. Expecting her to be stuck marrying some guy within her religion that her parents approved of. Which she did.

Ten years later after getting off a plane in Denver I thought I spotted a gal that looked like her walking with other flight attendants pulling their roll aways. I almost said something.

Thirty more years later we reconnect, it was her. After marrying she decided life was a bore, and with some college was able to get into flight attendant school. She was now a retired flight attendant. She was mad at me for not saying something as Denver was a boring layover and we could have had some fun. She too was between marriages

She was recently widowed, and was hoping we could hook up. Much as I would have liked to I have a fantastic relationship and no way was I going to take a chance.

In truth I never had a chance with her, after divorcing her first husband, she had married and international pilot.

• Like 1
  • Author
My teenage crush, was with a sophomore, whose family was very into a cult like religion. No drinking, no partying, no playing cards, it was like anything fun was a sin. Had her parents been able to afford it she would have gone to a religious academy. She had some close girl friends from the same religion who were the sisters of my best friend. So we did get to see each other, but never alone. One time she did talk her parents into letting her go with her friends to a school dance. We danced some, but pretty much stayed apart due to prying eyes. Last dance, we moved to the far side of the floor and it was there she wrapped her arms around me and pull me down for a kiss. Our one and only. Tattle tale brother saw it and she never got to go again.

I eventually gave up, graduated and moved onto college life. Expecting her to be stuck marrying some guy within her religion that her parents approved of. Which she did.

Ten years later after getting off a plane in Denver I thought I spotted a gal that looked like her walking with other flight attendants pulling their roll aways. I almost said something.

Thirty more years later we reconnect, it was her. After marrying she decided life was a bore, and with some college was able to get into flight attendant school. She was now a retired flight attendant. She was mad at me for not saying something as Denver was a boring layover and we could have had some fun. She too was between marriages

She was recently widowed, and was hoping we could hook up. Much as I would have liked to I have a fantastic relationship and no way was I going to take a chance.

In truth I never had a chance with her, after divorcing her first husband, she had married and international pilot.

So the feelings for your current SO are far more stronger than you ever had for your childhood gf or crush?