Meeting Her Brutal family

I've met her sisters, met her Mother briefly. Now I had to travel to Canada and meet the whole dang family. The first couple of days were great, fine dining, movies, ice skating, hiking, etc. I had the impression that she was trying to sweep me off my feet (For the record: my feet wear Clarks Brand shoes now).

Twas a great time till day 3. She took me to her uncle's boat for it's pre season shake down cruise. He and the small crew greeted me in French. I told them that I was sorry but I only spoke white. Their English was very good and they didn't seem to appreciate my remark. Near a small island, perhaps 3/4 of an acre (the size the bathroom in the butler's apartment at Art Critic's mansion), I saw a wood crate beached there. I pointed it out and the crew got excited, the jabbered in French amongst themselves, then they looked at me. Trying to read their minds I said "enough money (treasure chest dreams) for all of us".

They went straight for the island and we all headed ashore, I went for the crate, they scurried right past it. The crate was full of watery green mush. My girlfriend stayed on the boat, she tossed me a club. Being as the crate was already open I didn't see any point in beating on it. Terrible noises behind me, the crew was clubbing a bunch of seals, I'd been oblivious to their presence. It was pure horror and I felt like I was going to pass out. My girlfriend was looking at me in great disappointment, I was failing in the manliness dept. So I announced "seal stew coming right up", I marched toward the calamity.

It was awful, the clubbing was only part one, part 2 was too awful to mention. I noticed a wounded creature nearby, mortality wounded no doubt. I reasoned that part 2 was too horrible for him to be alive for. I knew it was the humane thing to do for this doomed creature, I put him out of his misery. I almost vomited. The others came and unleashed part 2 on him. Awful.

The only thing that made me feel better was the site of a seal eating a fish alive in the water...crunch, crunch as the big fish wiggled around. Seals are blood thirty predators so I took some comfort in that. Still I wanted to vomit.

I was quiet the rest of the day, I told my girlfriend that I had a headache (as in no sex tonight).

The next 24 hours were filled with horrible flashbacks. She asked what was wrong with me. I told her I was upset that I only got one seal and the others got more. That night I looked at her pretty face, a lovely vision in a nightmare, I held her close to shut out the awful world around me.

Turns out that holding business meant something to her, she thought we made a major connection. She looks at me with starry eyes ever since. I just know she's gonna drop the "L-word" soon. :(

On my last day her uncle gave me some money for my share of the seal pelts. It's Canadian money :mad:. Turns out it was illegal to hunt seal till the following week, so that's why they all looked at me on the boat. Seems I inadvertently gave them the green light.

Wow, what a crazy story.

Did they at least eat the seals? I hope so!

And what are they doing cruising in boats in Canada in late Nov/December?

Just wow. Such a culture gap.

• Author
That's so awful. I had no idea that they club seals up in Quebec. Am I assuming it's Quebec????

I was in Montreal and several other less known places, the place is huge. I don't know if I was in Quebec proper or not, or even close. I can ask her.

The seal hunting season wasn't official for another week, at that point.

I'm not a hunter but I do know that my hamburgers and shoes etc were "harvested" from animals, so I don't hypocritically condemn hunters. I don't like the Dentist that killed the Lion, but I know that Lion is a blood thirsty predator by nature. I'm traumatized by the seal event, but it's a case of human "harvester/predators" killing another predator.

I've been invited back for next years hunt, but no way am I going.

• Author
Wow, what a crazy story.

Did they at least eat the seals? I hope so!

And what are they doing cruising in boats in Canada in late Nov/December?

Just wow. Such a culture gap.

Mid November (when this happened) starts legal seal hunting season up there. We were early by a week or less. Congrats on achieving or 2000 posts so soon! Your dedication and time at the keyboard is much appreciated. Thank You for participating on this thread and so many others. It makes for a lively board.

Edited by Gold Pile

How do they actually get them? Do they only get the pups?

I've been quite close to seals before. They were skittish, audibly angry if you got too close... and would just vanish into the water in an instant if they didn't like the situation.

I was in Montreal and several other less known places, the place is huge. I don't know if I was in Quebec proper or not, or even close. I can ask her.

I'm not a hunter but I do know that my hamburgers and shoes etc were "harvested" from animals, so I don't hypocritically condemn hunters. I don't like the Dentist that killed the Lion, but I know that Lion is a blood thirsty predator by nature. I'm traumatized by the seal event, but it's a case of human "harvester/predators" killing another predator.

The dentist is definitely much worse than blood thirsty animal, because lion kill to eat to survive. the dentist kills just for the pure enjoyment of killing. A lion has no alternative but kill to survive, but the dentist isn't.

I thought human is better than animal, no? we have sympathy and mercy?

• Like 2
  • Author
The dentist is definitely much worse than blood thirsty animal, because lion kill to eat to survive. the dentist kills just for the pure enjoyment of killing. A lion has no alternative but kill to survive, but the dentist isn't.

I thought human is better than animal, no? we have sympathy and mercy?

Well fed zoo Lions don't need to kill, but they do, for fun? My dentist never killed anything but he does seem bent on bankrupting me.

How do they actually get them? Do they only get the pups?

Yep, they club the innocent little pups.

I'm sure a bunch of these brutes are all hysterical about abortion too. They freak about terminating a nonsentient fetus that the mother doesn't want to carry, but they'll kill sentient beings in front of their sentient mothers in the most brutal way. Idiots. Hope they have some hard karma coming to them.

• Like 1

Yes please. I would really like to know. I know there is hunting season and people go out and shoot deers. I'm pretty sure they over populate. I don't know.

Oh yeah, in regards to your manliness, this is total bs. Anyone who has a good heart would never be able to deal with seeing seals being murdered for "sport".

• Like 2
todreaminblue

that is a really horrible story.....i petitioned for fur seals through an animal charity.....seal clubbing is heartless and cruel...i wouldnt be able to stand by and watch it.....i refused to kangaroo culling with my great uncle when i was younger on principal alone.....not the only reason i would have knocked his arm every time he went to take a shot.....i loved my uncle but i preferred to get along so i liked going bee keeping with him and stayed away when he di dhis work.....which was helping farmers with errant wildlife....

i dont understand how a woman could watch that baby seals or seals being clubbed.........i will say though not all people turn out the same as their family...i have hunters in my family spearfisherman, fisherman and actual hunters/farmers.....and i have no desire to hunt or kill animals....my family has always eaten what they kill ro they have been hired to kill...no not people...but my great uncle would be hired by farmers when population control was a problem..........i couldnt.....i prefer the ecological and agricultural side of subsistence farming.....i do respect hunters who kill to eat.....what they kill with no waste.....

with your woman...as i said ...dont know how she could watch it....it is brutal and cruel.....maybe she isnt as brutal as them...she didnt join in did she...i dont know...makes me feel sick reading it....all i can say is i wish you

well.deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
  • Author
Yep, they club the innocent little pups.

I'm sure a bunch of these brutes are all hysterical about abortion too. They freak about terminating a nonsentient fetus that the mother doesn't want to carry, but they'll kill sentient beings in front of their sentient mothers in the most brutal way. Idiots. Hope they have some hard karma coming to them.

I wish to make clear that I didn't intend to be a party to this, I am traumatized.

• Author
that is a really horrible story.....i petitioned for fur seals through an animal charity.....seal clubbing is heartless and cruel...i wouldnt be able to stand by and watch it.....i refused to kangaroo culling with my great uncle when i was younger on principal alone.....not the only reason i would have knocked his arm every time he went to take a shot.....i loved my uncle but i preferred to get along so i liked going bee keeping with him and stayed away when he di dhis work.....which was helping farmers with errant wildlife....

i dont understand how a woman could watch that baby seals or seals being clubbed.........i will say though not all people turn out the same as their family...i have hunters in my family spearfisherman, fisherman and actual hunters/farmers.....and i have no desire to hunt or kill animals....my family has always eaten what they kill ro they have been hired to kill...no not people...but my great uncle would be hired by farmers when population control was a problem..........i couldnt.....i prefer the ecological and agricultural side of subsistence farming.....i do respect hunters who kill to eat.....what they kill with no waste.....

with your woman...as i said ...dont know how she could watch it....it is brutal and cruel.....maybe she isnt as brutal as them...she didnt join in did she...i dont know...makes me feel sick reading it....all i can say is i wish you

well.deb

No she didn't join in. Seems that she was raised in a hunting family and is used to it.

• Author
Yes please. I would really like to know. I know there is hunting season and people go out and shoot deers. I'm pretty sure they over populate. I don't know.

Oh yeah, in regards to your manliness, this is total bs. Anyone who has a good heart would never be able to deal with seeing seals being murdered for "sport".

I'd say I haven't been dealing well with what I saw. Can't get it out of my mind.

• Author
Are you still dating her - and, if so, why?
She is very, very attractive. She didn't kill anything.
  • Author
Your story will definitely give me pause next time someone asks me to go clubbing...

If only I had such a warning. "Clubbing" is a word I never again hear with the innocence ears I once had. I understand the hostility of the other posters against the hunters, but I was expecting more sympathy for me. I guess animal lovers don't have compassion for any human victims.

• Author

She says (and I google verified) that the seal season is Nov 15 to June 14

Damn...just had an interview for an IT job, the technology I would love to learn, but it is in a turkey processing plant:sick:

I said if I don't have to witness the actual killing, I would be OK to work in the plant...guess that will be a no...:(

sign....

Looks I am going to Montreal pretty soon...yup Montreal is probably the only place you can speak English in Quebec. Everywhere, English is forbidden. They don't even sell you things in small shops if you speak English with them.

What the heck, it is sort of understandable they are so indignant coz their ancestors got defeated times and again by the English back in colonial times. but my first language is not even English, why do they still demand that of me. :sick:

• Author
Damn...just had an interview for an IT job, the technology I would love to learn, but it is in a turkey processing plant:sick:

I said if I don't have to witness the actual killing, I would be OK to work in the plant...guess that will be a no...:(

sign....

But you did enjoy turkey at Thanksgiving. That bird didn't die of natural causes.

• Author
Looks I am going to Montreal pretty soon...yup Montreal is probably the only place you can speak English in Quebec. Everywhere, English is forbidden. They don't even sell you things in small shops if you speak English with them.

What the heck, it is sort of understandable they are so indignant coz their ancestors got defeated times and again by the English back in colonial times. but my first language is not even English, why do they still demand that of me. :sick:

It was a long stay in Canada, they drove, flew, and unfortunately boated me around and around. I was in Montreal and many other places. They spoke English everywhere I went but I often heard French as well. If a French speaking store owner wants to sell stuff to an English speaker, he will communicate in English. No one gave me a hard time about not speaking French.

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers

In the rural areas, a lot of them don't speak English or don't speak it very well.

There is some 'apartheid' in certain areas but it isn't the norm.

I've travelled extensively through Quebec many times (I am an Anglo). Montreal is pretty much a bilingual city. There are quite a few other enclaves where you can get by in English.

One strategy that has worked incredibly well for me in the last couple of years was bringing my smart phone in and typing into Google translate. They read what I want and then respond.

Sometimes friendlier people will even have full conversations with it.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
But you did enjoy turkey at Thanksgiving. That bird didn't die of natural causes.

ok most turkeys are bred for the table......they are killed ina humane fashion....

i know about seal clubbing.....they normally kill babies for their fur coat for starters and they club the babies so as not to damage the coat.......with a bullet.....whiel they are clubbing these baby fur seals.....the mothers go into desperation mode.......and cry adn scream fro them to stop ...if the mothers get in the way of their babies being clubbed to death slowly and as they cry fro their mums...the mums that interfere they kill them too....i could write more.......totally different dont you think from a turkey being humanely killed and eaten for a meal......for me..seal clubbing......shouldnt be two words strung together......and yes i eat turkey...i dont club a baby turkey to death though and wear the feathers..and leave the body to rot.....which is what happens they skin the animals dont they leave the body behind for the devastated mother to sit near....its heartless .....cruel...unnecessary..deb

• Like 1