Blowing Hot & Cold

Do you think that people recognize if and/or when they are blowing hot and cold? Is it a side effect? Or a reaction?

I'm sure at one point or another everyone has done it but it seems like it could be for any number of reasons- when weighing options, evaluating a person's potential, not enough interest etc. etc. What's your take on it?

Frank2thepoint

A person can do it for a myriad of reasons. Attention, insecurity, fun, lack of interest, control, immaturity, and the list goes on. On top of that it could occur for multiple reasons. Maybe one day they want attention, and the next they want to create some allure or an air of mystery.

• Author

Thanks Frank-

I just realized I might be doing it now and I think for no other reason than in response to him going cold after weeks of him trying hard to get my attention- (Looking back) I misread some things and see I was completely oblivious to it before and when I finally noticed/recognized, I smiled at him from across the room. Next time, I saw him, we made eye contact and he made a quick exit (before I could smile "hi" again) until the event was over but then afterwards he (re)positioned himself so I had no choice but to pass him. As luck would have it, someone came to him and had to speak with him and he couldn't break away but I overheard him tell another person walking out right next to me "wait, you can't leave yet". Not sure if the comment was a hint for me or not- or if I was misreading it, so I just kept on walking.

So as I see it, he tried, and I tried and now we're both blowing hot & cold...? So now I'm not sure what to do next the I see him...which I guess is par for the course :laugh:

Frank2thepoint

From my observation about LS members' experiences, the hardest thing to do is to talk to the person. It is so simple, it frightens almost everyone of it.

• Author

So simple but kinda complicated! I'd like to show interest (again) but I'm also trying to gauge his GENUINE interest and see if it's worth me trying anything. Although the chemistry is pretty palpable... I feel like if I initiate something again, I'll appear overeager... no?

Frank2thepoint

Talking with him is worth it, because there is potential. If he isn't genuinely interested, then all you really wasted was some time, few words, and being a bit hopeful. I personally wouldn't think you'd come off as overeager. When you like someone, your behavior toward your interest just seems like focused energy. You pay attention to them more, maybe even go out of your way to be near the person. It's natural, so don't discourage yourself. But if his behavior continues and you begin finding it annoying, then it's time to give up the pursuit and move on.

• Like 1