Minor money issue

starmorris92

Hello everyone, I just have a question of if I am wrong or not. Okay, so I got married a few months ago, and my husband and I have allotted for a specific amount to go into our joint account twice a month. OK, sometimes maybe twice a year we get 3 checks. I have mentioned not making a deposit to the account for that 3rd pay because it is only supposed to be twice a month. My husband is having a problem with this. Am I wrong for my thinking? Should I still make that deposit?

It depends.

When I was married, we kept a similar setup. Joint account for housing/bills etc...separate accounts for individual spending.

We would try and allocate a percentage of earnings over the course the month, rather than a specific amount. Say you each agree to contribute 50% of your monthly income to the joint account. Or in my case, I would contribute a bit more, because I earned more.

In any event, you'd only contribute the amount needed to hit that mark, anything else is yours.

IF you both agreed to only making two deposits a month ( I take it you get paid bi-weekly since you get 2 months of three pays) then no, you don't need to. But if you agreed to a percentage of income...you might. Depends on what you two agreed to.

You two need to talk & come to some agreement together. If you don't deposit the 3rd check what happens to that money?

• Author
starmorris92

Thank you both for responding. We agreed to 2 deposits a month. I have a warranty that I wanted to take care of with that 3rd check this time. We can't talk about anything because it always lead to a nasty argument. Its sad, but we have already discussed finances. Even when I mentioned this third check he went into a frenzy. No matter what I talk to him about, he gets nasty. It's only been 3 months and I'm ready to give up.

Thank you both for responding. We agreed to 2 deposits a month...

If you agreed to two deposits a month (of 'x' amount) and you've already contributed your two deposits this month (of 'x' amounts), then there's really nothing for you to be questioning or for him to be arguing about.

So, why's he arguing about it? :confused:

• Like 1

Ok so this really isn't about a 3rd deposit in a month.

It's about not being able to communicate and resolve issues without him becoming nasty and argumentative.

It's amazing isn't it.. you never saw this side of him before and once you tied the knot here's this whole new nasty guy you never knew existed, and you're already wondering if you should cut the cord after only a few months when things should be at their best.

Welcome to marriage.

It's not all it's cracked up to be.

• Like 1