I told my gf I cheated but it was a joke

Now she won't talk to me and thinks it's real. She got emotional even after I was telling her it's a prank.

Didn't mean for it to turn this way. She won't answer my call. Is she going to get better? I never cheated on her. I only told her as a joke.

If she likes you she should forgive you even tho you didnt do anything bad except than stupid joke.

If she dumps you anyway than I guess she just was looking for an excuse to dump you.

Either way you should work on your sense of humor lol.

• Like 1
  • Author

You're right, getting dumped over just a joke would be a silly reason to break up.

I'll give her some time and call later after an hour or so.

Why on earth would you joke about this?

It's possible she thinks you played the "it's a joke card" after you saw her reaction to the news so she may be thinking you did in fact cheat but are now trying to save face.

• Like 11
Now she won't talk to me and thinks it's real. She got emotional even after I was telling her it's a prank.

Didn't mean for it to turn this way. She won't answer my call. Is she going to get better? I never cheated on her. I only told her as a joke.

Time to beat yourself silly with a stupid stick. You have some work to do on regaining her trust, if you get the chance. How can she know you were joking? And why would you joke about something like that? If you get a chance, but sure to tell her that it was a stupid thing to do.

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 6

Idiotic. What was the point in that? I mean I can think of a way for it to be said.. In a teasing way and that wasn't exactly what you said. But she wouldn't be dumping you over a joke. It be over a betrayal of trust. She trusted you before. You said something that broke the trust and are expecting her to get over it because you were kidding. That was a heavy thing to kid about and really hard to take as that.

• Like 5

:confused:

Why would this be your idea of a "joke?"

A joke is supposed to be funny, something you can both laugh about. Not sure why you thought lying to her about cheating would be a great joke. It's immature and in poor taste, and these are the repercussions unfortunately.

Give her some time and try to contact her again and apologize to her profusely for your poor taste in "jokes" but unfortunately, it's up to her to decide to forgive you or not. She may decide you're just very immature. Or, the nature of this "joke" is about a serious matter that may now foster insecurity in her where she starts questioning if you're serious but are saying it's a joke to toy with her. For future use: not everything should be made into a joke. What people choose to joke about gives a clue as to their values, mentality and emotional maturity. Choosing to make a prank out of cheating, death, pregnancy or stuff like that which are serious matters for example are usually in VERY poor taste and even after you say you're kidding most people will feel like you've severely played with their emotions, you've lied and they will find it difficult to trust you if you "joke" aka lie about serious things as this. I'm all for jokes or even some pranks...but I would not want to be with a man who did not know what kind of things were appropriate for jokes and what kinds of things aren't.

• Like 2
I'd love to see a transcript of that conversation. :laugh:

Oh yeahhhh...

Cuz the joke/prank itself and the delivery are key here too!!!

• Like 1

And you gotta know your intended audience...

Cuz one time I pretended to forget my mum's birthday...and ' bought her flowers, but didn't present them to her like late in the day, I even was like "oh, it's your birthday, sorry I forgot" and OMG, the look on her face...I will never do that again

• Like 1
autumnnight
If she likes you she should forgive you even tho you didnt do anything bad except than stupid joke.

If she dumps you anyway than I guess she just was looking for an excuse to dump you.

Either way you should work on your sense of humor lol.

Um,.,,wrong...unless you are 14

• Like 2

Lets see, maybe you can tell her another joke, to try to cancel out the first one. You can tell her you are really gay and want to introduce her to your man toy. Or, you could tell her you really didn't know what you were saying because the LSD hit you took was too large. Maybe you could ask your mom to call her up and tell her what a tool you are and how you broke her heart many, many times while you were growing up.

Friend, for what it's worth, the destruction you wrought within your woman with the telling of this 'joke' is exactly what she would be experiencing if you really did have an affair. Emotionally there is no difference. The trust issues you are going to have to deal with from here on are identical to those a real cheater would have to deal with. You probably just scotched your relationship for good. Hopefully, you wont pull this on the next woman you meet...

• Like 2
  • Author

Update:

Ok so I got to talk to her a bit. She's still upset (though a bit less) that I could joke about something like this and all I could do was keep apologizing. I just didn't realize how hurtful it was.

As for why I joke about cheating, it was my day off and I finished taking two final exams so since there was nothing to do, this came up to my mind. I honestly thought she knew me very well that I'm not the type to ever cheat. I've never cheated on any of my past gf's either. In fact, a past gf cheated on me so I know how that feels like.

Yes understand50, we're both in our 20's....I'm 24.

Edited by Frost_Byt3
understand50
Update:

Ok so I got to talk to her a bit. She's still upset (though a bit less) that I could joke about something like this and all I could do was keep apologizing. I just didn't realize how hurtful it was.

As for why I joke about cheating, it was my day off and I finished taking two final exams so since there was nothing to do, this came up to my mind. I honestly thought she knew me very well that I'm not the type to ever cheat. I've never cheated on any of my past gf's either. In fact, a past gf cheated on me so I know how that feels like.

OK, looks likes you dodged one. Let her know - lessened learned

Keep apologizing, and flowers would be a good thing now. You may want to print this whole string out and show her. You both may get a laugh out of it.

I wish you both luck.

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Update:

Bolded..Really? You honestly thought telling her you cheated on her wouldn't be hurtful? At 24, sorry to be blunt, but you should know better. Think next time. I mean what if she told you she cheated or you, or she was pregnant - As a joke. Watched you get upset or freak out, then told you she was just joking, would you be laughing? My guess is no.

• Like 4
Update:

I am struggling to see how this was "fun". Put yourself in her shoes, would you have found this hilarious?

"Oh honey you are so witty. Joking about screwing other people!" Hardy har har.

I believe there is always some truth in jokes . . . . just saying . . . .

• Like 1
Nikki Sahagin

Future reference, NEVER joke about cheating on your partner. There is a lot of this going viral on YouTube, pranking partners. It's simply not a funny joke.

• Like 2