Money is the root of all evil, or is it?

So, I have a great BF who graduated college, has a lower paying job for his CS degree, but he is working on finding something better. He is 23. I do not think he will make a lot of money in his life, just enough to be comfortable. I, am finisihing college and plan to add to the income one day also. I am happy with not a lot of money, just enough to pay the bills, some vaca, and live decently/nicely.

On the other hand, my brother, 25 almost 26, graduated from IVy league, is now making almost a million a year. I just learned this last night and it really messed me up. This is where the money issue being evil came up. It made me look at my bf differently for a little bit- but then I got over it about aday later. But I guess i just wish i had my brothers situation. Having all that money...Ugh why does it all matter?

I think debt is the root of most evils.

One often accepts the illusion that having more money means having less debt, but that's rarely true.

The saying originated in the New Testament. “For the love of money is the root of all evil.” Timothy, 6:10.
http://www.calicocat.com/2004/05/is-money-root-of-all-evil.html

Well, for money you can get stuff. If your goal in life is to have stuff, then money is your desire. People first needed money to live - to get food and shelter. Then people started making stuff people could buy for entertainment or just to own. To some folks, these latter things became as vital as food and shelter. Do you badly need a large home (that means lots of $ in taxes plus upkeep) and multi-vehicles (again, $ flowing out for upkeep) and all that stuff or can you be perfectly happy with a regular number of vehicles and a regular home? Do you crave status or is it your desire to have a happy home and family? Because often all the demands, obligations, and distractions that having all that dough creates can work against creating a happy family. Not always, but often.

Originally posted by dyermaker

I think debt is the root of most evils.

One often accepts the illusion that having more money means having less debt, but that's rarely true.

I think these two sentences says it all.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum. We are more comfortable with money, of course, but, we had to learn how to deal with it in order to sleep peacfully at night. I started making the big bucks several years ago and my mentality was, "I worked my a$$ off for this, I'm getting me that!". Racked up the plastic, paychecks were spent well before they were recieved......we figured it out once that the interest we were paying, (Credit Cards, Car payments, etc. ), was actually the equivalant of what my yearly take home was when we first got married!!!

With that slap in the face, we paid the vehicles off, sold our house and bought property out right, caught up the cards and then burned them. Now the company pays all of our bills, ( the accountant cuts the checks every month ), and I draw a little each week for the neccessities and misc. projects. The rest goes directly to my retirement fund.

With determination, and developing spending habits like buying vehicles with cash money, paying an extra house payment every 3 months, using pre-paid cell phones and credit cards.....I virtually pay NOTHING in intrest or overtures.

There's nothing wrong, or sinful having loads of money......being a poor steward of your money is.

• Author

I know someone who said that money equals happiness. That the perfect man will come along who has loads of money and treats you well, whos great to get along with. Shes an idiot.

As far as examining the sinfulness of money, you have to wonder--at whose expense is your money, that you worked really really hard for, earned?

It's rarely guiltless.