I wonder what is this trend of people over 20-25 to define themselves as a "girl" or "boy". I mean is it just an innocent euphemism or a desire to stay young forever?

For me personally it is a turn off (somehow I associate it with underage affection), unless of course it is said in a joking context (e.g. a group of "girls" getting together).

I refer to Women as girls sometimes. I don't mean anything derogatory by it. Of course only directed at Women around my age or younger.

• Like 3
acrosstheuniverse

I believe it's simply because that age is still quite young, certainly when you consider how close in proximity they still are to being teens, so they haven't settled yet into calling themselves 'women' or 'men' because it feels weird to them, it makes sense to continue referring to yourself how you always have, until you are comfortable to do otherwise.

Even at 27 it's only the last two or three years I've started referring to myself as a woman, it felt so bizarre at first. And I call my boyfriend just that, only my 'partner' if it's for an official document or whatever. I like being his 'girlfriend', we still feel young!

I refer to women as Rabbits and I am the Wolf.

Other than that, I refer to women as either women or females.

I once told a female class mate my thoughts about women. I explained to her when she asked me about women and men being 'just friends'..... I told her: I see women as Rabbits to be consumed and ravaged. As a Wolf I never play with my food.

She just about creamed her pants and said....Ohhhh I like the sound of that!!

If you were born in the 1900's and your real name is:

a) Robert

b) Edward

c) Jonathan

d) Joseph

But people are still calling you:

a) Bobby

b) Eddie

c) Johnny

d) Joey

It does make you think.....

I'm in my 30's and I've always been told I look really young for my age at work. I also with a lot of older guys so they still call me "young," and "sport," and "son," etc. It doesn't bother me much.

I work with a group of 50 + year old women who are all divorced. They have their "girls night out," event every month. Every time the email goes out with the invite you can almost feel everyone's eyes roll. :lmao:

• Author

It is funny the first time someone refer to me as a woman was a guy that i had a crush on. I was early 20s, no relationship experience and felt so old at that time :D I also start perceiving myself as a fully mature adult ~24-25.

I believe it's simply because that age is still quite young, certainly when you consider how close in proximity they still are to being teens, so they haven't settled yet into calling themselves 'women' or 'men' because it feels weird to them, it makes sense to continue referring to yourself how you always have, until you are comfortable to do otherwise.

Even at 27 it's only the last two or three years I've started referring to myself as a woman, it felt so bizarre at first. And I call my boyfriend just that, only my 'partner' if it's for an official document or whatever. I like being his 'girlfriend', we still feel young!

• Author

Hah, I find it ok if someone of my parents/grandparents age refers to me as a "young", "girl" etc . It is strange when it comes from someone around my age (I'm now 30 turning 31)

The case with your female 50+ divorced girls is what makes me laugh/roll eyes :D But if it makes them happy..

If you were born in the 1900's and your real name is:

a) Robert

b) Edward

c) Jonathan

d) Joseph

But people are still calling you:

a) Bobby

b) Eddie

c) Johnny

d) Joey

It does make you think.....

I'm in my 30's and I've always been told I look really young for my age at work. I also with a lot of older guys so they still call me "young," and "sport," and "son," etc. It doesn't bother me much.

I work with a group of 50 + year old women who are all divorced. They have their "girls night out," event every month. Every time the email goes out with the invite you can almost feel everyone's eyes roll. :lmao:

At 26, I don't "feel" any different than I did at age 20. My wife feels the same way. It just sounds so weird referring to ourselves as "man" or "woman."

^ This!

I guess I am a man now.. married, three children, i'm all grown up... just!

But it still feels really odd when I'm in town or something and some stranger says like "mind out the man's way" or something. I'm like wha? oh wait - she means me!

I'm 21, i'm an adult in any country in the world.... but I don't feel any different than I did at 17.. I don't feel much 'wiser' or 'older'. Some of my friends are still 18/19.

At work the guys still call me 'lad' or 'kid', i'm still referred to as "son" by plenty of middle aged men I know.

I feel like 25+ is a proper adult, like a real 'man' or 'women'...... but maybe that's just perspective, maybe once I turn 25 i'll be like 'no you don't become and adult till 30 ....45 ...60 ...80' :lmao: