Co-worker with a big mouth

ShiningMoon

This Virgo co-worker and I grew closer over the past weeks. I thought she was becoming a true friend but she sort of betrayed me today.

The guy I (really like) came my our team's desk to ask us if we wanted to go for drinks. (He's got this weird habit of always coming to my colleague's desk and start a convo with me instead). As usual, I barely replied because I get too nervous when he's around.

Then, as he was talking to someone else, she said in a very obvious tone: "I'm only going because you like him". This guy's friend (who works in my team) heard her. Then she told me: "Shut up, he heard you when you said you liked him". I didn't even say anything, she was the one who brought it up.

I'm so embarrassed. Now, his friend and him are going to mock me. This is so embarrassing, I feel like dying right now. His friend isn't my friend and he uses any excuse to throw shades. I'm mortified. I've been rejected so many times, I don't want to deal with this.

I really didn't need her to do this.

How should I approach the situation? Will this "crush" mock me now? This is so bad.

Thanks!

Well, you can only wait for the next time he comes to your desk. If he starts the mocking you can call it betrayal from your co-worker, if he instead asks for a date she helped you out.

compulsivedancer

Please tell me you're in high school. Otherwise you need a grown up job where you interact with adults.

So long as you don't say or do anything to give credence to her outburst, it will make her look bad and as though she's trying to start something. In the future, I'd not tell her anything you don't want known openly. She's not a friend.

This Virgo co-worker and I grew closer over the past weeks. I thought she was becoming a true friend but she sort of betrayed me today.

The guy I (really like) came my our team's desk to ask us if we wanted to go for drinks. (He's got this weird habit of always coming to my colleague's desk and start a convo with me instead). As usual, I barely replied because I get too nervous when he's around.

Then, as he was talking to someone else, she said in a very obvious tone: "I'm only going because you like him". This guy's friend (who works in my team) heard her. Then she told me: "Shut up, he heard you when you said you liked him". I didn't even say anything, she was the one who brought it up.

I'm so embarrassed. Now, his friend and him are going to mock me. This is so embarrassing, I feel like dying right now. His friend isn't my friend and he uses any excuse to throw shades. I'm mortified. I've been rejected so many times, I don't want to deal with this.

I really didn't need her to do this.

How should I approach the situation? Will this "crush" mock me now? This is so bad.

Thanks!

Your friend probably thought she was being funny and cute. Your "crush" would only mock you if he's a jerk. Nobody here knows whether he is or not.

Please tell me you're in high school. Otherwise you need a grown up job where you interact with adults.

Trust me, there are clowns who call themselves "adults" who engage in this childish behavior.

The OP's situation is why I barely have any female "friends"....they like to play silly games like this. This thread is also why I don't tell my gfs, female friends/acquaintances/etc when I like a dude.

Maybe you can try to repair the situation by backing off and pretending you are no longer interested in him and when the dust settles, try to chat him up and if he shows signs of interest, let him know upfront that you're interested, but want to keep this on the downlow cuz of the drama that can happen in the workplace.

But seriously, if he plays along with this female "friend" of yours, drop him like a hotpocket.

But really, don't poop where you eat. Workplace romances can go bad and then it will affect your ability to put food on your table.

And lastly, but most importantly, are NOT your friends. Keep them at arms length and be friendly and always watch your butt. I barely can count on one hand TRUE women who I can actually put the label of "friend" on.