Do you trust your partner when they are drinking?

Nikki Sahagin

This to me is a complex issue and I am interested to know what others think.

There are generally 2 schools of thought when it comes to alcohol:

1) Alcohol only brings out what is in you.

2) Alcohol can make you someone else.

We all know that alcohol lowers inhibitions and I would claim that most sexual relationships begin BECAUSE of alcohol. I suspect the number of people who chat up a potential partner or even sleep with a stranger whilst sober are largely low. Alcohol is usually the catalyst.

Of course, people cheat without alcohol, but even work place affairs are often lubricated and the boundaries are shifted by the office party, a little glass of wine at lunch or the Christmas party when the shots flow.

Do you trust your partner when they drink? What if they drink excessively? If your partner told you they kissed someone, took a number or even had sex whilst drug, would you see this differently than if they had been sober?

Do you think some people use alcohol as an excuse, as something to blame? Or do you think there is something to the old, 'I was drunk and don't even know what I was doing.'

to answer your questions:

Do you trust your partner when they drink? My answer:No,

What if they drink excessively? My answer: Double , triple NO

If your partner told you they kissed someone, took a number or even had sex whilst drug, would you see this differently than if they had been sober?

My answer: NO, they are still choosing poorly either way with those actions...

Do you think some people use alcohol as an excuse, as something to blame?

My answer: Absolutely!

Or do you think there is something to the old, 'I was drunk and don't even know what I was doing.'

My answer: Sure there is something to that as alcohol erases current or recent memory...time distorted. So blackouts are common for addicts....What needs to be remembered is, they are still responsible for their actions....which is why those who commit crimes while under the influence are held accountable to the families or the act of the crime.

If you take coordination out of the equation, DH & I don't behave dramatically different sober or under the influence I suppose we are both guilty of being louder. We're actually both more flirty sober because we know we're in full control & nothing will get out of control. Because alcohol lowers inhibitions, we reel it in.

So yes we absolutely trust each other.

However, when I was younger, things did tend to get a little loser after a few drinks. I rarely had serious exclusive relationships because I enjoyed being flirty but that was my choice.