How often? (Updated)

How often do people get back with exes?

I mean particularly short relationships of about 6 months where you broke up.

How often does it happen?

Any stories?

For me, never. Why would you do that? If the relationship failed then - unless the reasons for its failure are no longer present - why would you flog a dead horse?

Better to find someone more compatible.

With young love (which is more infatuation then love) as they people are growing & exploring relationships, the on again off again thing is more common but it's very unhealthy.

In my life, I only ever broke up with 1 guy & tried to get back together a few weeks later. We lasted less than a month.

When a relationship is broken there is no sense putting it back together.

• Like 1
marcelo.santos

I had about 15 girlfriends - It happened with me 3 times (no one is a short relationship, always an average 2 years ):

one time we, after the reconciliation break up forever just a month latter due the same problem

the other 2 times, the relationship last successful for more 2 years each and we broke up for a completely different reason later.

Sometimes it happens.. the only thing I learned is that as the persons involved are the same, after a reconciliation you will face exactly the same problems.

The problem of short time relationship is that normally there is no love or long term history to motivate the dumper to try it again - but who knows?

Why have you asked this? Share your history with us: You are considering a reconciliation or have hope be contacted again by your ex?

I would say it depends on the situation. I have only been in one serious relationship and when my ex and I first started dating we broke up within 5-6 months over something really stupid. Both realized how dumb it was, and the time apart helped us with that, we got back together after about a couple months and we dated for a total of 5 years. She just broke up with me about 3 months ago.

Any stories?

As in your other thread, you're asking because your FWB is now friends with his short term ex on FB and you feel threatened? If you're concerned, you shouldn't be FWB with this guy.

It depends on so many factors. Were they in love or just FWBs? A 6 month relationship is not very long and not much history. I would think it would be very easy to move on and not look back if I were only involved for 6 months.

As in your other thread, you're asking because your FWB is now friends with his short term ex on FB and you feel threatened? If you're concerned, you shouldn't be FWB with this guy.

Yeah OP, just tell the truth.

Any stories?

I don't know how often, but I've only gotten back with one person. It was a complicated situation why we broke up and we didn't get back together until some years later and I had another boyfriend in between. We also did not stay together after we got back together, it lasted for a few months.

Some people are in constant on and off, break up to make up relationships (which should stay broken because clearly it's not working).

But it would seem that most people who break up do so for legitimate reasons and they move on to new pastures.

I remember that it was a breakup (actually with the guy I dated after my ex that I got back with) that led to me LS and I was so hell bent on getting back together and finding out if it could work and was sure it was a mistake....it's been years now and I can't even believe it sometimes that I felt that way as no way he and I should have gotten back together. So just saying that many people want to get back with their ex, especially if they are the one who was dumped and it wasn't mutual, but with time you grow to feel differently and often end up realizing you should never get back with them and there are other people even better than them and they weren't your true love or last chance.

It depends, as most everyone else said. But I would think it would only work in a couple of cases:

There was an issue that caused the breakup that was eventually resolved

Both parties have done serious self-evaluation and both believe things have changed enough that another go might be different.

The bouncing off and on thing rarely leads to anything permanent. And if the relationship wasn't actually a real relationship to begin with but a casual fling, then I doubt it would work.

A lot of people come back to what is comfortable, but that is vastly different than a functional reconciliation.

I've read in numerous places that healthy, long-term relationships that snap under external pressure are most easily (although... not. *easily* ;) ) salvaged.

Everyone is different.

My current boyfriend broke up with me for four months and then came back, more serious than ever.

My boyfriend before him? I dumped his sorry ass and never looked back. :p

There are so many variables.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

His ex unfriended him already. False alarm.