Women feeling "safe" with taller men.

We live in an age where you can be gunned down in a movie theater watching a Batman movie or for honking your horn at the wrong person.

When do women think being with a tall man will mean they're safe?

It might be one of the primal factors affecting attraction. Similarly, why do some men like women with large breasts if baby formula is available?

• Like 7
It might be one of the primal factors affecting attraction. Similarly, why do some men like women with large breasts if baby formula is available?

Because nobody ever bounced and sucked on baby formula??

I think it's more to do with women feeling more feminine with a guy that can manhandle her with little effort. Many women like to be dominated at some level. Men that are tall twigs don't do so well either, so not just a height thing. Although short men that can actually manhandle a woman, don't do so well either...compared to taller men with muscularity and correct behavior.

So I think there is an image in the mind. The man should be taller and stronger. And look it. As well as exude it in behavior.

Spiders? I squash them!

Worm...hook? Ewww

Ferocious puppy dogs? I will putt kick them across the road!

Time to take out the trash? It's her turn, pretty sure.

I don't think all is lost for short guys, but certainly they have less options.

• Like 1
We can feel safe around a short man too, I guarantee.

i don't share that opinion. i'm 5'10 and have never really felt "safe" with a short guy, i always feel like i have to be more aware because i won't be able to rely on them if i needed to. my brother is 6'4 and looks like a linebacker - he's a huge guy - when i walk down a street with him he looks imposing and that makes me feel safe, because who is going to approach him and cause trouble? height/body frame on a guy definitely makes me feel safer. i work with a guy so short and petite he looks like tinkerbell (seriously) - who is he going to protect? what women will feel safe with him? i asked him to kill a bug for me once and he picked it up and took it outside, lol. i still tease him about that 4 years later, and 4 years later he's still girlfriendless.

• Like 1
organizedchaos

I know a 5'5" guy who's a Crossfit beast and I at 5'11" wouldn't mess with him. And he has no problems getting women either.

• Like 4
I know a 5'5" guy who's a Crossfit beast and I at 5'11" wouldn't mess with him. And he has no problems getting women either.

One of my friends is 5'3" I think, never asked. Skinny, not really that facially attractive (in my opinion). He looks like a slim guy, not stocky at all.

His ex-wife had 2 kids with him and is good looking and his new girlfriend is good looking as well.

I never heard him complain about his height. He's also very outgoing and fun to be around.

I think a lot of guys feel more masculine when they're with women who are shorter and slimmer than them. I think a lot of women feel more feminine when they're with men who are taller and bigger (particularly in body frame and muscle, NOT fat) than them. Maybe it's primal, and human nature for them.

This is by no means universal, though. Most of the short men, slim men, tall women and big women I know have significant others, and seem happy. All of them have fun senses of humor and don't seem insecure about their looks. And when I see them with their SO's, it's usually pretty clear to me and others that the guys are not doormats in their relationships.

• Like 2
i don't share that opinion. i'm 5'10 and have never really felt "safe" with a short guy, i always feel like i have to be more aware because i won't be able to rely on them if i needed to. my brother is 6'4 and looks like a linebacker - he's a huge guy - when i walk down a street with him he looks imposing and that makes me feel safe, because who is going to approach him and cause trouble? height/body frame on a guy definitely makes me feel safer. i work with a guy so short and petite he looks like tinkerbell (seriously) - who is he going to protect? what women will feel safe with him? i asked him to kill a bug for me once and he picked it up and took it outside, lol. i still tease him about that 4 years later, and 4 years later he's still girlfriendless.

Im Thinking of purchasing a gun. That will solve that problem lol

Hummm I got an idea for pic to for my dating profile. A pic of me at the range shooting at a target.

Edited by Mangina
idea

Know a guy I went to school with and was never more than 5'6" tall but made up for it in his adult years by being a 6th degree black belt in karate. He's now in his early 60's, bad knees and eye sight and a bad heart and one his worse day, I wouldn't want to meet up with him in a dark alley and he's still only 5'6".

We live in an age where you can be gunned down in a movie theater watching a Batman movie or for honking your horn at the wrong person.

When do women think being with a tall man will mean they're safe?

:confused:

I'm sure the thinking isn't along any of those lines.

I don't think any woman goes around thinking "I want to be with a tall man because he will be impervious to bullets and will have superhuman powers to predict random acts of violence and get me out of harm's way."

As others have mentioned, part of it is probably primal and not something any woman consciously thinks about. I like men who are taller than me, I guess feeling safe is part of it, but not in the way you describe. Feeling safe with a man isn't about you thinking he will protect you from lunatics with guns necessarily, I mean in fact, a lot of it is about an emotional feeling of safety that doesn't correspond to anything physical, as well as a man looking (and acting) like he cares about you and would try to intervene if you're in a threatening situation. This is not simply about height. But just on the basis of height alone, lots of women like that feeling of being enveloped or for a man to have a physically commanding presence...it's not just about safety but also a sexual feeling that make many women wobbly in the knees.

• Like 7

I think it applies to bigger tall guys, not real skinny ones. Taller guys are just generally viewed by many other guys as being more intimidating. So for a woman, it's easy to see how she may feel safer in some circumstances. Even in elementary school...most kids leave the big boys alone. In high school, other guys seem to like having a big or tall guys in their groups of friends. Sure, there are many short guys that are in shape and capable. But if size didn't make a difference, why are most bouncers tall? Why do cops call for backup to bring down a big tall guy? Why are celebrity bodyguards big? A short guy might be able take down a big or a tall guy, but most men don't want any trouble with big guys. Women witness how other men seem to view taller guys, with peers and with dad's and brothers, so it will influence them, as well.

To me, I have no problems with a woman wanting a man that's taller than her within reason. If a woman is 5'9" than I don't see a problem with her only wanting guys close to 6 feet tall. When it gets ridiculous & really shallow in my opinion is when there's a 5'1" woman that would only exclusively date guys that are 5'10" or taller. Those women I think are the ones guys have a problem with. But if she has such a ridiculous standard like that than God only knows how awful her personality must be anyway.

To me, I have no problems with a woman wanting a man that's taller than her within reason. If a woman is 5'9" than I don't see a problem with her only wanting guys close to 6 feet tall. When it gets ridiculous & really shallow in my opinion is when there's a 5'1" woman that would only exclusively date guys that are 5'10" or taller. Those women I think are the ones guys have a problem with. But if she has such a ridiculous standard like that than God only knows how awful her personality must be anyway.

Almost as ridiculous as a man wanting a certain cup size, or weight/thinnest of a woman :rolleyes: Heaven forbid some people have preferences, it automatically labels them as having awful personalities.

• Like 6
I think it applies to bigger tall guys, not real skinny ones. Taller guys are just generally viewed by many other guys as being more intimidating. So for a woman, it's easy to see how she may feel safer in some circumstances. Even in elementary school...most kids leave the big boys alone. In high school, other guys seem to like having a big or tall guys in their groups of friends. Sure, there are many short guys that are in shape and capable. But if size didn't make a difference, why are most bouncers tall? Why do cops call for backup to bring down a big tall guy? Why are celebrity bodyguards big? A short guy might be able take down a big or a tall guy, but most men don't want any trouble with big guys. Women witness how other men seem to view taller guys, with peers and with dad's and brothers, so it will influence them, as well.

Huh? That is absolutely not true at all. Not all bouncers are tall. Their in shape, but I've seen plenty of short bouncers before. It honestly just seems to me you have something against short men just by the tone of your post. I guarantee you a short guy that knows how to fight would be able to take a tall guy that doesn't or if the taller guy is out of shape & the short guy is built & strong.

Almost as ridiculous as a man wanting a certain cup size, or weight/thinnest of a woman :rolleyes: Heaven forbid some people have preferences, it automatically labels them as having awful personalities.

Not this bs again. A woman can get breast implants & can lose weight. A guy can't change his height unless he wants to risk not being able to walk again or be in severe pain.

And women who usually have those preferences do tend to have some hatred towards shorter men. I hear so many times where some say they think of men as tall & boys as short. And flat out saying they hate short guys like they wish they didn't even exist.

• Like 1
regine_phalange

I can guarantee only about me. I've felt very safe in the presence of men who were my height. The feeling of safety is not only about physical safety by the way but also about a man's gumption. But even if it was only about physical safety there are shorter men who have a compact masculine build with a lot of strength and quick reflexes. If the criminal is holding a gun then I don't think that your date's height makes it less threatening.

• Like 1

I have never wanted a man who will fight.

I only ever wanted a man who would look out for me and pull me out of harms way if something were going on that he was unaware of (eg a fight breaking out behind me)- but I would do the same for him also.

I'm 5ft and half an inch tall.

My preferred height is 5ft 10in.

I have happily dated between 5ft 6in and 5ft 10in.

I am not sure I would feel right dating someone a foot taller than me.

I don't wear majorly high heels, 3 inch heels is my absolute maximum with no platforms, I can't walk properly in them and cannot walk with a straight back. Plus my legs just look like they are tottering - sooo unattractive! :laugh:

My Dad was 5ft 10in and my Brother who is 7 years my senior and had a lot of influence on me as I grew up is 5ft 7in.

I am pretty sure that those are where my male height preferences came from.

They also both had friendly and pleasant personalities and faces.

I look for that in a man also.

I am not trying to find a Father nor a Brother figure but the men I grew up with are my 'standard' I guess.

I would love to find a man as good as either my Dad or my Brother. Plus I always felt very protected with them both - as they also did with me.

• Like 1

Just looking at the numbers here.

In the U.S. population, only about 14.5 percent of all men are six feet or over

Now factor in face, how many of that 14.5 have nice or decent faces?

Now factor in the amount of short women snatching up these tall guys leaving tall women with less options.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy women.

No wonder so many women have relationships with married men.

Edited by Mangina
  • Like 2
Just looking at the numbers here.

In the U.S. population, only about 14.5 percent of all men are six feet or over

Now factor in face, how many of that 14.5 have nice or decent faces?

Now factor in the amount of short women snatching up these tall guys leaving tall women with less options.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy women.

No wonder so many women have relationships with married men.

There is probably some truth to this. I wonder what all these women do? It's confusing to think the vast majority of women want a taller guy, but there's not enough of them for every woman. So what are these women doing? Are they all settling for a guy that they don't really want to be with deep down?

There is probably some truth to this. I wonder what all these women do? It's confusing to think the vast majority of women want a taller guy, but there's not enough of them for every woman. So what are these women doing? Are they all settling for a guy that they don't really want to be with deep down?

I'm just looking at this from a purely statistically standpoint. I honestly had no idea how much women liked tall men until I started seeing it on their dating profiles, the studies written and all the guys on the internet complaining. When we are rejected, we don't know why, they usually don't tell us. So now I'm wondering what all is on these women's minds. lol

Huh? That is absolutely not true at all. Not all bouncers are tall. Their in shape, but I've seen plenty of short bouncers before. It honestly just seems to me you have something against short men just by the tone of your post. I guarantee you a short guy that knows how to fight would be able to take a tall guy that doesn't or if the taller guy is out of shape & the short guy is built & strong.

I said most, not all. Most bouncers at clubs in my area are tall, in my experience. We all make different observations and that's okay. I said in my own post that there are short guys that could take tall guys, and your reply seems like you didn't even notice that. My point was that it's not about actual physical ability, but about the intimidation factor. In my observation, large size can be seen as a deterrent or perceived as a bigger threat to other men. Not all, but enough of them. You may not feel that way, but I've witnessed it plenty of times, so I thought it may be a factor in the "feeling safe" for some women.

I was just trying to give my opinion on why some women may feel safer with taller men, not trying to insult anyone. I have nothing against short men, but do not think it's right when some short men feel that they are automatically entitled to the short women of the world. If a short woman has a preference for tall guys and likes that "safe" feeling, telling her that it's unfair to short guys or proving that short men can fight won't change that, because feelings of attraction aren't logical. If a short woman wants a tall guy, so what? Is she supposed to ignore the men she is genuinely attracted to just so short guys have more options? There are plenty of short guys that do find plenty of women who are very attracted to them, so there is no reason to be angry about someone's preferences.

Edited by Quiet Storm