Around when do women start looking for potential husbands?

I've heard that women start to settle down from the "wild years" and want to look for potential husbands. Mainly guys that are stable, secure, safe. One of my coworkers told me that I'd be prime bait for a girl looking to just get into a marriage. Virgin. Inexperienced. Good job. Apartment. Financially stable.

I kind of "gulped" at this because all my life, this was something I was trying to avoid. I foolishly went into college thinking sex would come to me. Now, I squandered the only opportunity to easily get with girls and they're going to want someone to commit.

That's not something I want to do at this stage, especially with being so inexperienced. I dunno, I just fear being taken for a ride by some girl who doesn't really like me because I don't have enough knowledge of how these things worked. I also have the fear of missing out on girls. I don't want to wind up with a woman that's been around the block but I didn't know until last minute, if at all. Making me buy the cow when a lot of others got the milk for free.

Doesn't help I feel like a loser seeing all my friends having girlfriends that actually like them and me feeling like I'm making no progress in my life.

Ladies, when did you start looking for a husband and if you're looking, what is the average age?

Edited by Camaro Guy

Right at age 16 if you get realistic. But once they hit 18, if they aren't complete party animals, then yeah, they are looking for the whole thing. Doesn't matter. You ask an 18 year old girl, would you like to be married? They would say of course.

Right at age 16 if you get realistic. But once they hit 18, if they aren't complete party animals, then yeah, they are looking for the whole thing. Doesn't matter. You ask an 18 year old girl, would you like to be married? They would say of course.

Sure, in 1915.

• Like 14
I've heard that women start to settle down from the "wild years" and want to look for potential husbands. Mainly guys that are stable, secure, safe. One of my coworkers told me that I'd be prime bait for a girl looking to just get into a marriage. Virgin. Inexperienced. Good job. Apartment. Financially stable.

I kind of "gulped" at this because all my life, this was something I was trying to avoid. I foolishly went into college thinking sex would come to me. Now, I squandered the only opportunity to easily get with girls and they're going to want someone to commit.

That's not something I want to do at this stage, especially with being so inexperienced. I dunno, I just fear being taken for a ride by some girl who doesn't really like me because I don't have enough knowledge of how these things worked. I also have the fear of missing out on girls. I don't want to wind up with a woman that's been around the block but I didn't know until last minute, if at all. Making me buy the cow when a lot of others got the milk for free.

Doesn't help I feel like a loser seeing all my friends having girlfriends that actually like them and me feeling like I'm making no progress in my life.

Ladies, when did you start looking for a husband and if you're looking, what is the average age?

The average age for women is 27.

Marriage rate may be low, but more weddings predicted

I did not start looking, per se. I fell in love with someone and then thought marriage would be nice. I was 22 at the time and admittedly was much younger than my peers in that.

Edited by CALOVELY
  • Like 1

While perhaps outlier today, in my demographic it was very common for young men and women to be married by 18-20 and have kids nearly immediately.

My exW's sister was married at seventeen and is still married AFAIK, now, yikes, over 30 years.

My best friend was married and had two kids by the time he was 20.

I never met a childless woman after age 25 or so. Most were divorced and had kids. All the ones I dated were either single or divorced mothers. I never met a childless woman after age 25 until I met my exW. She had been married twice before, first at 19, then again at 28.

OTOH, underscoring how people are individuals, 'back in the day', the woman who would become my mother didn't marry until into her 30's and lived a carefree single life prior. That was during the Depression and WW2 era, where security was paramount and women weren't afforded the economic opportunities they are today, so she was outlier.

Most of my friend's grandchildren have been staying unmarried throughout their twenties. Their children vary, but most got married before age 30. The ones who waited the longest were generally those who moved to larger cities and/or went away to university/college.

I think you have a lot of misconceptions here.

First: the idea that all women go through some "wild years" like untamed mares isn't really true. But even if a woman did go through "wild years", the idea that being around the block makes a woman less than is ridiculous to me. The whole making you buy the cow when she gave others the milk for free is a very poor analogy and I don't think most women will take kindly to that. You can't win...if a woman has sex in exchange for material or other benefits she is a prostitute, if she gives it away for "free" supposedly, she's still a whore...I mean...come on.

As for you being "prime bait", this is also a bit crazy IMO. Good job, apartment, inexperienced virgin aren't anything I've personally heard any woman gush over. For most decent women a man who has a good job and a place to live is the bare minimum....I mean most women will also have a job and apartment, so whooptidoo...I don't think women will be clamoring after a guy just because of that unless she is just used to men who have way less. While nothing is wrong with being an inexperienced virgin, I don't think most women are truly after a man who is such, they may be okay with it but majority of women aren't out chasing that and wedding bells don't start ringing once they hear "job, apartment, inexperienced virgin."

You admit you haven't dated much and I think you should just let go of these irrational fears of being targeted by "wild women" looking to settle down. I think much of your fear and paranoia is being produced by ignorance, i.e. you haven't much experienced so are just listening to other folks without testing out the dating scene yourself and seeing how it goes for you.

I don't think there is any special age for looking for marriage. Not all women want marriage or even if they do it's not their sole goal in life. For me, I think I started thinking more seriously about marriage and looking at future boyfriends in terms of that potential at 21. I cannot say if that is average as I knew folks who got married right after college, many more during or after grad school and still others who say they aren't interested in marriage or it will happen when it happens.

Edited by MissBee
  • Like 5
  • Author
I think you have a lot of misconceptions here.

First: the idea that all women go through some "wild years" like untamed mares isn't really true. But even if a woman did go through "wild years", the idea that being around the block makes a woman less than is ridiculous to me. The whole making you buy the cow when she gave others the milk for free is a very poor analogy and I don't think most women will take kindly to that. You can't win...if a woman has sex in exchange for material or other benefits she is a prostitute, if she gives it away for "free" supposedly, she's still a whore...I mean...come on.

As for you being "prime bait", this is also a bit crazy IMO. Good job, apartment, inexperienced virgin aren't anything I've personally heard any woman gush over. For most decent women a man who has a good job and a place to live is the bare minimum....I mean most women will also have a job and apartment, so whooptidoo...I don't think women will be clamoring after a guy just because of that unless she is just used to men who have way less. While nothing is wrong with being an inexperienced virgin, I don't think most women are truly after a man who is such, they may be okay with it but majority of women aren't out chasing that and wedding bells don't start ringing once they hear "job, apartment, inexperienced virgin."

You admit you haven't dated much and I think you should just let go of these irrational fears of being targeted by "wild women" looking to settle down. I think much of your fear and paranoia is being produced by ignorance, i.e. you haven't much experienced so are just listening to other folks without testing out the dating scene yourself and seeing how it goes for you.

I don't think there is any special age for looking for marriage. Not all women want marriage or even if they do it's not their sole goal in life. For me, I think I started thinking more seriously about marriage and looking at future boyfriends in terms of that potential at 21. I cannot say if that is average as I knew folks who got married right after college, many more during or after grad school and still others who say they aren't interested in marriage or it will happen when it happens.

I'm not saying that the inexperiened part is a good thing. It's bad because I can be more easily manipulated since I'm not used to girls or a relationship.

I'm not saying that the inexperiened part is a good thing. It's bad because I can be more easily manipulated since I'm not used to girls or a relationship.

I'll say again, I think your inexperience is producing irrational fears and paranoia.

Manipulate you into what exactly? Marrying them?:confused:

Date and stop worrying about that. You will know when you are being used or manipulated. Or like everyone else, over time you live and learn. I guess that's the benefit of starting to date earlier, you make your mistakes and you learn. We all do. Most of us have been hurt or have perhaps been used before by someone with less than noble intention but you brush it off and learn for the next time. I'm just saying, it doesn't make sense to sit worrying about this and blowing it out of proportion. You make it seem like you're gonna be some young, gullible, "bait" that will attract manipulative women when I doubt that very much. Perhaps if you were wealthy and inexperienced and a woman saw you riding around town in your Murcielago with Prada shoes and your Audemars watch or something, then the wrong kind of women will swoop down on you and take advantage because at least they believe they will be upgrading their lifestyles by latching on to you and getting you to be with them....but for the regular guy, this isn't likely the case.

You will have your dating successes and woes like the rest of us. Just be smart like the rest of us and you'll also begin to see if and when you are being used. But don't over think it and make it a bigger deal than it really is. Date, have fun, learn about your self and your relationship style and go from there. I guarantee you won't be this huge bait for marriage hungry vampires waiting to pounce on you and force you to propose as you seem to think.;)

• Like 8

That's a real tough question. There are plenty of cases (especially when the girl is from a poor family) where they want to marry before their 20th birthday. Many others marry in their early 20s, but most start to "panic" in their late 20s. Beware if you start dating a woman in her early 30s unless you like being surprised with positive pregnancy tests.

Ninjainpajamas

Serious relationships after during the tail end of college, then marriage at the end of their 20's and kids before they get past the mid 30's hump.

That's the general/vague timeline...of course it depends on how successful and independent the woman is, the more career oriented and successful she is the more likely her standards are to rise and the more likely she is to wait to start a family...but not necessarily get married if the right guy is around.

You're honestly not probably going to have to worry about women wanting to use you too much because you lack the experience. So for those women who have, they will likely throw you back into the sea. For those women that don't have, they might see an opportunity to outsmart you and setup a situation they are looking for to gain because they see the potential in you because of your financial and career situation...but it depends, if you lack too much you definitely won't be the first option.

Now if you were good-looking, successful, experienced and had the career, home and car then you'd be a force to be reckoned with. But unless you've got a fancy job title chances are in 2015 you won't be all that enticing with your situation alone, as the standards for women have gone up, at least if you are in a major city...small town living is usually a lot more basic and simple since there's really not much else to do but settle down early on with the options you have.

In your situation your best bet is to avoid getting into big commitments early on and watch yourself carefully on what decisions you make financially. It's not that all women are users, but the ones who are can really take advantage of stupid men like you that they know how to swoon and wrap around their finger. So I'd say just watch out for the situation where you feel pressured and encouraged by a woman who seems to be controlling the pace of things, don't just go along for the ride.

It's possible you could meet a very regular girl who doesn't prioritize any of the things you have, she just wants normal woman things and has normal expectations, so I wouldn't be actively defending against this and being suspicious...if you do feel like you're being taken for a ride, trust your gut instincts, the problem is if you are all "in-love" and the woman has you good, then you'll never see it coming and you'll ignore those flags..but it's possible that you will recognize them if you just give it time, IF it were to happen to you.

But yes, some women are just looking for marriage and kids before certain age, and might see you as a potential. But too much inexperience can make you too unappealing even for them.

Also, don't look at your friends with too much envy, these same women are also looking for those things as well and are working on it....marriage, and then for some of them, children.

• Like 2

Seriously? What do you think is going to happen? Some sort of Vulcan death stare? :laugh:

Start dating. Nothing just "comes" to people. You want to date, want to have sex, then go after it. You aren't some voiceless, mindless victim in all of this. You know that right?

• Like 7

Most of my friends married between 18 and 24. But the thing is, marriage age is when the girl has found a prospective spouse, dated him, was proposed to, planned a wedding, and actually got married. So, marriage age isn't a good indicator of when girls started looking. And, of course, those who are education and career oriented start really looking a bit later, say the middle or end of their college education.

What's wrong with a gal who's "been around the block"? So what if other men "got the milk for free"? First, an experienced woman is probably going to be a better lover. She has learned a thing or two and can use that knowledge on you while teaching you what she knows. Second, you don't have to marry the chick. You do have the option of "getting the milk for free" yourself until you find a woman that you are in love with, compatible with, and want to ask to marry you. Third, if you want to know a woman's sexual history before making any decisions..ask!

I got a bit of a chuckle when I read "I foolishly went into college thinking sex would come to me." Sex doesn't just come to anyone. Ever. You have to date and make a move or go clubbing and hook up. Santa isn't going to put a hot and horny woman in your Christmas stocking!

• Like 2
Santa isn't going to put a hot and horny woman in your Christmas stocking!

But I ask him every year?

Lol in all seriousness I don't anybody who thinks being a virgin is a turn-on. It may not be a turn-off but I don't think any woman is saying "good job, nice abs, and .... drum roll.... he's a virgin!".

• Like 2

I agree with MissBee, I think you have a lot of misconceptions. I see this attitude among older, less experienced guys a lot: "Sex the Alpha, marry the Beta." As if a woman is settling for you because her wild days are over and she's now looking for stability.

I am in my late 20's, and I know many, many women. I have yet to meet someone whose priorities changed in a drastic way like this. The women who want stability, have always wanted stability. They've been looking for a husband since probably early college. That isn't to say that they didn't end up sleeping with some players or jerks; but that's not because they were looking for it, but because they were probably young and manipulated themselves. They genuinely believed a player cared for them and thus slept with them only to find themselves dumped.

Likewise, the women I know who love to party have always loved to party. They might still have boyfriends, but they weren't necessarily looking; they kind of fell into a relationship because they found someone they really dug. If they were ever single again, though, they wouldn't be rushing to the altar or making looking for a relationship a priority.

Furthermore, I've found that us women, we get pickier as we get older. We're more mature, we're more able to figure out what we want and decide faster if a guy would satisfy us. Chances are, we're also successful ourselves... If a home and a good income is important to us, we probably got them for ourselves. We don't need a guy to provide that.

I have always wanted marriage, and to settle down. And yet, my standards have only risen as I've gotten older; a guy who has nothing to offer except money is just not going to be attractive to me. So even for the older women looking for stability, sorry, but you might not be as much of a "catch" as you think.

So, a wild party girl who slept around is probably not going to be trying to 'trap' you into stability.

You really need to stop assuming other people's motives based on nothing but their age and their gender. Stop believing what the Red Pill tells you. Go out, try to date, and just be firm about your boundaries. Decide what you want for yourself, and then only date those who offer that. Simple as that.

• Like 6

I remember in the past I've read a thread about how "women settle down at a certain age and don't want someone who hasn't had a certain experience." First of all, I have never lived the ideal "wild" lifestyle of going out and partying and meeting a strange "piece of ass" every week. I have never really wanted that lifestyle because it was never for me.

Then again, I have not had a real girlfriend in my life. As stated in a thread that I have done, the longest I may have dated was about two months. Other girls were just women who I "talked to" or had so few of dates with, like maybe one date for that matter.

I remember about a year and a half ago, I talked to this one girl and she mentioned about having a six-year relationship with her ex. I remember mentioning something about losing interest in stuff like shows and such, and then for some reason, she asked me if I've ever lost interest in the "right woman." I don't know why I said this, but I said that I had not been with a woman long enough to ever think that. I could have answered it better. She even asked how I could be looking for something serious if I don't have much experience.

It seemed rather shocking to her that I wasn't in a relationship that lasted about six months to a year.

Lol I'd rather be single the rest of my life than be married to a female who is only there because I have a great job and being considered "safe".

Those men end up in sexless marriages where they have to BEG their wives to sleep with them, constantly get cheated on, and raise Other guys kids(Both knowingly and unknowingly)

• Like 1

I agree that any older "nice guy" with little or no dating/sex experience should have an eye out for this as a red flag, but I think you are way too worried about it. Do you really think you'll feel that comfortable with a woman with such a vastly different life experience in that area? You are going to naturally gravitate toward women with values, temperaments, and life experience ballparks that are reasonably similar to yours. Your spidey sense should be able to tell you if you are being manipulated.

• Like 4
TouchedByViolet

A lot of women are looking for a long term relationship and marriage now. That doesn't mean they are out of their wild years or that they will pick a caring and stable man. In general women mellow out as they get older and stop chasing the bad boys and the drama. Some slow down after having kids and want a good man. Some never stop the insanity.

If you don't want to get used maintain smart boundries. Learn about the women as a person before committing longterm.

• Like 1
I agree with MissBee, I think you have a lot of misconceptions. I see this attitude among older, less experienced guys a lot: "Sex the Alpha, marry the Beta." As if a woman is settling for you because her wild days are over and she's now looking for stability.

I am in my late 20's, and I know many, many women. I have yet to meet someone whose priorities changed in a drastic way like this. The women who want stability, have always wanted stability. They've been looking for a husband since probably early college. That isn't to say that they didn't end up sleeping with some players or jerks; but that's not because they were looking for it, but because they were probably young and manipulated themselves. They genuinely believed a player cared for them and thus slept with them only to find themselves dumped.

Likewise, the women I know who love to party have always loved to party. They might still have boyfriends, but they weren't necessarily looking; they kind of fell into a relationship because they found someone they really dug. If they were ever single again, though, they wouldn't be rushing to the altar or making looking for a relationship a priority.

Furthermore, I've found that us women, we get pickier as we get older. We're more mature, we're more able to figure out what we want and decide faster if a guy would satisfy us. Chances are, we're also successful ourselves... If a home and a good income is important to us, we probably got them for ourselves. We don't need a guy to provide that.

I have always wanted marriage, and to settle down. And yet, my standards have only risen as I've gotten older; a guy who has nothing to offer except money is just not going to be attractive to me. So even for the older women looking for stability, sorry, but you might not be as much of a "catch" as you think.

So, a wild party girl who slept around is probably not going to be trying to 'trap' you into stability.

You really need to stop assuming other people's motives based on nothing but their age and their gender. Stop believing what the Red Pill tells you. Go out, try to date, and just be firm about your boundaries. Decide what you want for yourself, and then only date those who offer that. Simple as that.

I agree with much of this.

Also, it's bizarre and biased to make it seem like women go through this wild and heathen phase then try to settle down but what, men pop out of the womb being stable, serious and looking for marriage?:rolleyes: Let's be real.

It's called being young and learning. Everyone goes through it. Well most people. Now that most people aren't marrying right after high school, most people, as youth goes, live, learn, date, try things, and that's all part of what gives them experience in life. I don't know what "wild" really means as I'm sure wild for one, especially one who is inexperienced, may be par for the course for another. But I can say for myself I dated a lot, even though I did though I still have fingers left to count the people I've slept with and I know all their first and last names, I've had heartbreaks, been on horror dates, did dumb things I would take back if I possibly could and ALL of that helps me to now know exactly what I want and don't want and know myself and be a better partner to someone. I would never trade that for being inexperienced and automatically wanting marriage but perhaps not even understanding what that really means or without having much experience with my own wants and needs in a relationship.

And like you said, I've always been someone who wanted marriage. Since I was a little girl, in high school, in college, I always knew I'd eventually want that. But even if I didn't, it's not a crime for a woman or man to grow up and change her mind! Hello...that's part of growth, becoming an adult, getting more mature, hopefully wiser, and I think it's unrealistic and ridiculous to expect that that doesn't happen or to act like just because someone had "wild times" they should forever be stuck there and don't deserve marriage now :rolleyes:.

• Like 3
Lol I'd rather be single the rest of my life than be married to a female who is only there because I have a great job and being considered "safe".

Those men end up in sexless marriages where they have to BEG their wives to sleep with them, constantly get cheated on, and raise Other guys kids(Both knowingly and unknowingly)

I agree. Not saying there is anything wrong with a woman who had wild years because I have had them myself but nothing worse than being the settle guy. Only marry a woman if you know she is head over heels for you.

• Author
Most of my friends married between 18 and 24. But the thing is, marriage age is when the girl has found a prospective spouse, dated him, was proposed to, planned a wedding, and actually got married. So, marriage age isn't a good indicator of when girls started looking. And, of course, those who are education and career oriented start really looking a bit later, say the middle or end of their college education.

What's wrong with a gal who's "been around the block"? So what if other men "got the milk for free"? First, an experienced woman is probably going to be a better lover. She has learned a thing or two and can use that knowledge on you while teaching you what she knows. Second, you don't have to marry the chick. You do have the option of "getting the milk for free" yourself until you find a woman that you are in love with, compatible with, and want to ask to marry you. Third, if you want to know a woman's sexual history before making any decisions..ask!

I got a bit of a chuckle when I read "I foolishly went into college thinking sex would come to me." Sex doesn't just come to anyone. Ever. You have to date and make a move or go clubbing and hook up. Santa isn't going to put a hot and horny woman in your Christmas stocking!

You don't get the milk for free if you commit to a girl. You are buying the cow with commitment, marriage is an extension of that. Yeah, you can "sell" the cow at any time but you still have to go through the trouble of "buying" the cow.

And yes, I bought into the lie that college was just one big free for all where promiscuous girls just throw themselves at you. I didn't even know most women won't even make the slightest move. It's also extremely hard to recognize signs of interest. I don't even know if I've ever gotten a sign of interest.

Sexual history is something that's irrelevant to ask as people can easily lie or omit details. The reason I wouldn't want a girl that's "been around the block" is because she can easily have a one-up on me. You think I want to be her first when she's been with like 10 other guys? Inevitably at least one of them has been better at sex than me. You think I want to be doing my best while she's lying there thinking about another guy?

I'm just trying to not screw up my future for dissatisfaction, that is why I am concerned about this.

You don't get the milk for free if you commit to a girl. You are buying the cow with commitment, marriage is an extension of that. Yeah, you can "sell" the cow at any time but you still have to go through the trouble of "buying" the cow.

And yes, I bought into the lie that college was just one big free for all where promiscuous girls just throw themselves at you. I didn't even know most women won't even make the slightest move. It's also extremely hard to recognize signs of interest. I don't even know if I've ever gotten a sign of interest.

Sexual history is something that's irrelevant to ask as people can easily lie or omit details. The reason I wouldn't want a girl that's "been around the block" is because she can easily have a one-up on me. You think I want to be her first when she's been with like 10 other guys? Inevitably at least one of them has been better at sex than me. You think I want to be doing my best while she's lying there thinking about another guy?

I'm just trying to not screw up my future for dissatisfaction, that is why I am concerned about this.

Dude, you're worried about literally nothing mate.

• Like 3
  • Author

Put yourself in my shoes: you are mid 20s. You've never had a girlfriend. Never had sex. Suddenly, close to 30, women start to show interest you. You meet a particular girl. She's so sweet. So caring. So loving. Your mind short-circuits. You can't think straight. She's the most awesome girl you've ever met. You then think you want to be with her forever. So you then marry her. Then slowly, she starts to withdraw. She disrespects you. She snaps at you. She withholds sex from you. She says you aren't "compatible".

That is what I fear.

You should worry about getting "the cow" first instead of if the milk is free. You are focusing on what colour the floor mats should be in the Ferrari you do not own.

• Like 3
  • Author
I agree with much of this.

Also, it's bizarre and biased to make it seem like women go through this wild and heathen phase then try to settle down but what, men pop out of the womb being stable, serious and looking for marriage?:rolleyes: Let's be real.

It's called being young and learning. Everyone goes through it. Well most people. Now that most people aren't marrying right after high school, most people, as youth goes, live, learn, date, try things, and that's all part of what gives them experience in life. I don't know what "wild" really means as I'm sure wild for one, especially one who is inexperienced, may be par for the course for another. But I can say for myself I dated a lot, even though I did though I still have fingers left to count the people I've slept with and I know all their first and last names, I've had heartbreaks, been on horror dates, did dumb things I would take back if I possibly could and ALL of that helps me to now know exactly what I want and don't want and know myself and be a better partner to someone. I would never trade that for being inexperienced and automatically wanting marriage but perhaps not even understanding what that really means or without having much experience with my own wants and needs in a relationship.

And like you said, I've always been someone who wanted marriage. Since I was a little girl, in high school, in college, I always knew I'd eventually want that. But even if I didn't, it's not a crime for a woman or man to grow up and change her mind! Hello...that's part of growth, becoming an adult, getting more mature, hopefully wiser, and I think it's unrealistic and ridiculous to expect that that doesn't happen or to act like just because someone had "wild times" they should forever be stuck there and don't deserve marriage now :rolleyes:.

I never said men want commitment right off the bat. Don't twist my words.

I don't read red pill or follow it but I am familiar with it. Much of it is garbage but there are some gems in there. Something like this isn't too far off the mark.

You don't ask someone's sexual history because it can easily be omitted or they can lie to you about it. I've often heard many women bending the truth when it comes to it. And there's no way to know. You think some years down the road when she decides to confess and tell me she's slept with like 30 guys I can say "I didn't sign up for this"?

You think I want a girl to one-up me by me telling her I'm a virgin and her lying about her experience? Even if she does say ok, she will never accept it. It will be such a turn off. It's so lame and embarrassing.

I'll just leave it out. I don't have to lie about it.