Family and dating...

No family is perfect, but would you feel that you would need to "conceal" your family or knowledge about them to someone you were seeing?

I'm not looking to have kids and/or the whole "white picket fence", so, part of me would not believe informing someone I'm seeing about my family would be necessary.

Why?

Because, IMO, if you are making an important decision such as marriage and/or having kids, you have to seriously take into consideration where the person you were seeing came from, if they still hold any traits/scars/characteristics as a result of where they came from...Also, you'd have to see if the family would cause drama for you - especially when you have to see them on the holidays. You cannot try to bring children into a toxic situation and/or spend your marriage dealing with never ending family drama.

Now, sometimes I think it would be good to inform someone I'm seeing a little about where I came from, cuz maybe they could understand why I have issues with getting close and/or having kids, marriage, and/or the "white picket fence". But, I don't want to taint someone's view of me, cuz while I came from that background, I believe I've done pretty well for myself and while not perfect, definitely not wrapped up in the problems some of my siblings have.

Of the few guys that were "exposed" to my mom and/or family (cuz duh, they come over and can't help but notice there's a room for her/siblings and/or she/they was/were actually in town when they came over), I can't say that there was an issue...I mean, no guy I've seen even knows of stuff I've posted here about them.

What do you think? Have you ever believed it was best to keep your family at a distance from someone you were seeing? Have you believed it was best to keep any discussions about your family quiet and/or limited?