woman , birth control shot aka depo-provera

some people never experience side effects from birth control pills/shots etc. and some cant use them. i want to hear from you out there that cant handle it and how it affected you and possibly your relationship.

im a man but from my experience with my partner.

lack of sex drive

depression/anxiety

moodswings for no reason

lack of interest in the relationship

change in personality

irregular periods sometimes once a week

afraid that something is wrong with you

• Author
Depo-Provera Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com

I had no problems with it but above is a list of possible side effects.

yeah i have googled it and to be honest it looks terrible for a lot of people. i want to know how people here felt under and after the shot. could it really affect how you see things in life? having period spotting once a week, will that cause your hormones act like they do during a normal period? what happens when the spotting stops or when the hormones from the shot isnt there anymore? another hormonal rollercoaster?.

Everyone reacts differently to different meds, even aspirin. I never take aspirin. Your girlfriend will just have to find a gyno who is willing to find a hormone dose that works. Some docs are just lazy.

You could always get a vasectomy.

I had a horrible time on depo.

Mood swings, anxiety, gained 40 pounds. This was several years ago

I was allergic to pills so I tried the shot for a while. After realizing it was the cause of my troubles, I got switched to an implant. Felt mentally a lot better and lost the weight

There are side effects from all hormonal drugs in most women.

To be honest if she wants to be just as she 'is' and feel normal no drugs is best.

She will be happier, hornier and generally better off all round.

I've had various effects from various contraceptives.

Some were not and would not have been beneficial to a relationship had I been in one.

• Author

she doesnt want to be on birth control. nothing seems to work on her. and im fine with that and not getting a vasectomy :).

ive read a lot about weight gain. also that the the woman stops feeling attracted to her boyfriend. doesnt want to be touched etc. how long after getting off the shot did you feel you were getting normal again? in other words when did you stop having moodswings?

she doesnt want to be on birth control. nothing seems to work on her. and im fine with that and not getting a vasectomy :).

ive read a lot about weight gain. also that the the woman stops feeling attracted to her boyfriend. doesnt want to be touched etc. how long after getting off the shot did you feel you were getting normal again? in other words when did you stop having moodswings?

I honestly can't exactly recall. It was a few months.

I was single throughout that whole time though, so I can't say much about the attraction bit or wanting to be touched. I do know that I was horny, but it may just have been due to sexual frustration from going so long without it.

• Author

gemma i agree..

my girlfriend first had anxiety. feeling she had a new disease every day. she couldnt stand it when i wasnt around. then she took another one and for the first time she got angry with me, and i mean absolutely crazy. she took it all out on me even though she was having problems with someone else. somehow it was my fault for not being there for her. she realized she was being stupid and apologized.. later on when i went to see her she was pretty much the same the first week. then she started acting distant. i dont want anyone to touch me. later she told me she was feeling discusted by herself and ive read other people felt this too.

she had irregular menstruation once a week and still has. now its 6 months since the last shot worn off. moodswings, anxiety, depression, getting stressed out for nothing.

her period doesnt come every week anymore. but it still comes way to often. and i feel that she has changed even more. im thinking, could it be that the body is working itself back to normal and shes having a hormonal rollercoaster again?.

• Author
I honestly can't exactly recall. It was a few months.

I was single throughout that whole time though, so I can't say much about the attraction bit or wanting to be touched. I do know that I was horny, but it may just have been due to sexual frustration from going so long without it.

yeah and everyone doesnt get the same side effects either. does it sound redicilious to have it for 6 months?

yeah and everyone doesnt get the same side effects either. does it sound redicilious to have it for 6 months?

Six months? Not at all.

Symptoms can go on for the whole time and after coming off a drug also.

• Author

i've read especially that the shot which seems to be the worst one can completely change a person, stop caring about partner for example. the attraction in fades in other words. is this something that kicks back after its worn off?

gemma i agree..

my girlfriend first had anxiety. feeling she had a new disease every day. she couldnt stand it when i wasnt around. then she took another one and for the first time she got angry with me, and i mean absolutely crazy. she took it all out on me even though she was having problems with someone else. somehow it was my fault for not being there for her. she realized she was being stupid and apologized.. later on when i went to see her she was pretty much the same the first week. then she started acting distant. i dont want anyone to touch me. later she told me she was feeling discusted by herself and ive read other people felt this too.

she had irregular menstruation once a week and still has. now its 6 months since the last shot worn off. moodswings, anxiety, depression, getting stressed out for nothing.

her period doesnt come every week anymore. but it still comes way to often. and i feel that she has changed even more. im thinking, could it be that the body is working itself back to normal and shes having a hormonal rollercoaster again?.

Unless something has happened between you then yes all this could well happen on drug based contraceptives.

I've tried a few that sent me way off how I usually am and my LT partner twigged it. I didn't. He told me, I went back to my doctor relaying what he had said basically. My doc then prescribed something else.

It's pretty common that women react in some way.

• Author
Unless something has happened between you then yes all this could well happen on drug based contraceptives.

I've tried a few that sent me way off how I usually am and my LT partner twigged it. I didn't. He told me, I went back to my doctor relaying what he had said basically. My doc then prescribed something else.

It's pretty common that women react in some way.

no she first got angry after the second shot pretty much when she just took it. from the sweetest person to completly insane and yelled at me for about 30 minutes. after this second shot worn off shes been really ignorant and selfish. she's still having period/spotting. people change but her behaviour isnt normal. ever since she took this shes been worried about everything, getting upset for no reason and started crying.

she cant take criticism, she cant stand me sometimes. all she does is talking about her problems and doesnt seem to care about anyone elses. she doesnt show any emotions when i feel bad about this. just like she stopped caring.

im not saying this to convince her shes having problems. ive talked to her and she never do anything about it. i just hope that this is the reason for it. i cant fix her you know.

• Author

Yeah that's kinda what I've done, long story but she's having a crisis, she doesn't make any sense. She wants to have time alone. I just know that something happened after this shot but in not saying that's the whole problem. I do however think it made small problems big

I take the pill Ocella and didn't have any issues from it as far as I can tell, except I felt it made me pee more often.

In talking to my doctor about getting on BC (and my prior experience with another one back in college which gave me headaches and bumps) she talked to me about my options but distinctly said she didn't recommend the depo shot personally as many of her patients seemed to have bad side effects from it.

• Author
I take the pill Ocella and didn't have any issues from it as far as I can tell, except I felt it made me pee more often.

In talking to my doctor about getting on BC (and my prior experience with another one back in college which gave me headaches and bumps) she talked to me about my options but distinctly said she didn't recommend the depo shot personally as many of her patients seemed to have bad side effects from it.

yeah i truly believe this is the reason my girlfriend changed so much. i have no idea if the shot is still messing up her hormones but i know it started it. its sad to watch actually, ive read that youre supposed to take it if your 18 and under and only if you cant take any other pill.

its completely different from any other substance you'll get with other birth controls. it works for some yes, but its really used to help you from not getting blood cloth and other things that could be genetic. instead you end up with sideffects that can completely mess up your life and the purpose why you use a birth control in the first place.