Would you date someone who doesn't own a cellphone?

I seen this topic on another forum today & was kind of surprised by the responses. A lot were assuming the person would have financial problems or they were just a weirdo. I personally own a phone, but not a smartphone at the moment.

Yeah, probably not, but depends on the reason. Not owning a cell phone seems extreme in these days and time. Could be extreme financial issues, extrem cheapness, or not wanting to have an electronic leash so they can easier cheat.

Most definately.

Means that person is independent and has a mind of their own.

Even of I dont like it, I can respect it.

And I'd definately date that person

• Like 10

Yes.

I thought about the people I know IRL who don't own cell ph's- There are only 2 of them that come to mind!!

Both men, neither use cell phone's as they feel they have no need to have one, as they have landlines and their wives have cell ph's. Neither are in fulltime employment, one is a mechanic who now dables in property management. The other is a builder, who does a variety things (including some building.)

Neither of these non cell phone owning guys have finacial issues. Neither of them cheat on their wives. In fact these two are productive, smart and loyal.

• Like 5

I dated a girl with an old flip phone as she was cute and I didn't give a shyt. Turned out she was technically challenged and could hardly use a computer as well. (shrugs)

• Like 1

I got my first cell phone about 2 years ago and a smartphone about a year after. Before that I'd use mostly instant messaging with some land line calls mixed in. It works fine if you don't spend excessive time running around at the club or away from home or work. You can even get a free government phone now if you're poor so it's probably more an indicator the person doesn't place much value on being available every minute of the day.

• Like 1

This day and age that problem just wouldn't occur. Because everyone including our grandparents (and even some great grandparents I'm sure) have cellphones. Do I have a preference on the type of cellphone I think a guy I'm dating should have? Absolutely not. I still have the iPhone4S.

• Like 1
  • Author
I dated a girl with an old flip phone as she was cute and I didn't give a shyt. Turned out she was technically challenged and could hardly use a computer as well. (shrugs)

The only reason I still own a flip phone is because I really don't see the need to spend $90-$100 month on a phone bill. I just use my android media player for all the apps & other things. I plan on finally getting a smartphone later this year or early next year though. Probably will stick with android over iphone though.

• Like 1

And actually, I don't understand people who continuously upgrade their cellphones. My ex was like that and I always found it very ridiculous. But I'm a practical person. He isn't. He has to have the latest and greatest everything, all for show and to be "cool." Ya, he's techy but come on. That's just ridiculous to me. There's not much different between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 6 is there?? Can't be.

• Like 4
The only reason I still own a flip phone is because I really don't see the need to spend $90-$100 month on a phone bill. I just use my android media player for all the apps & other things. I plan on finally getting a smartphone later this year or early next year though. Probably will stick with android over iphone though.

They have decent smartphones for 50 bucks now and you can get an android unlimited plan for like 40 bucks a month and up, depending on the carrier. The prices are much more in line with the actual value of the service now. Which is what finally led me to get one. That and the fact I needed to get familiar with android for work. =/

• Like 1
  • Author
They have decent smartphones for 50 bucks now and you can get an android unlimited plan for like 40 bucks a month and up, depending on the carrier. The prices are much more in line with the actual value of the service now. Which is what finally led me to get one. That and the fact I needed to get familiar with android for work. =/

Yeah, right now I have T-Mobile. Which carrier has $40 a month unlimited plan? Guessing it isn't one of the big 4 companies.

My first cell phone was a nextel. It had a walkie talkie ability.

Then I got a really cool flip phone that could take pictures, send emails and you could text but nobody else could text so what was the point?

Then I had no phone. For years. All of my kids had one but I just loved not having a phone on me. I could go out and not be interrupted. My time was my own. I loved that. I felt free.

I finally got one when my youngest two wanted iPhones. Now I'm a slave to my phone just like everybody else. It's kinda sad.

So yea I'd be okay with someone not having a cell phone. I'd respect that. I may even give up my own if Comcast didn't screw up my landline. I have triple play and always have but if you call my house it will say my number is not in service...even though I pay for it each month because it's cheaper than having a double play.

Comcast sucks.

• Like 1
Yeah, right now I have T-Mobile. Which carrier has $40 a month unlimited plan? Guessing it isn't one of the big 4 companies.

Boost which is basically Sprint does after you've been with them for a while. It starts at 55 and shrinks 5 bucks every 6 months you pay on time. I think t-mobile has one for 40 or 50 something though. My uncle has one from them with unlimited data and 100 minutes a month for 30 bucks.

The big players were losing so much money to the discount prepay guys they had to start coming down to earth a bit.

Ruby Slippers

It would be refreshing to see someone who's not tied to their phone. A basic cell phone would be nice in case of emergencies, but a smartphone is absolutely not necessary.

• Like 3
  • Author
It would be refreshing to see someone who's not tied to their phone. A basic cell phone would be nice in case of emergencies, but a smartphone is absolutely not necessary.

Yeah, everywhere I go almost everyone is on their phone. Even at the gym I see people going on their phone in between exercises. It's like what the ****?

• Like 2

That wouldn't stop me from dating the person.

It says nothing more than my own prejudices, ignorance and limited experiences in life will allow me to imagine.

Granted, I'm ancient, but I don't have a smartphone because I have no intention of texting. It takes too long and I'm not interested in having "yes" and "no" and "how are you" conversations with people. I can type as fast as I can think, so email is far better for me. I'd like a smartphone just for like a toy, but that's an expensive monthly bill just for that. And I don't want anyone, including clients expecting me to always be checking my messages. I don't like interruptions.

• Like 2

Now, this person without a cellphone....did they say they're from the future and looking for Sarah Connor?

I'm just saying'...:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Author
Now, this person without a cellphone....did they say they're from the future and looking for Sarah Connor?

I'm just saying'...:laugh:

They just said they just rather interact face to face instead of through text. And said it has nothing to do with financial problems since he makes good money at his job. So I guess there are some people out there like that. I looked it up before & 91% of adults own some sort of cellphone.

They just said they just rather interact face to face instead of through text. And said it has nothing to do with financial problems since he makes good money at his job. So I guess there are some people out there like that. I looked it up before & 91% of adults own some sort of cellphone.

Oh, I was just joking...

Look, when celphones first came out, I thought they were for pretentious people - you know, like those people with oversized car phones from the Wall Street movie...lol. But, when in the military I was always on the move and/or on training, I was happy to have one.

Then texting...while I'm not a talkative person, I still resisted cuz it was not only expensive when it first was popular - but I didn't want be like everyone else...lol.

But now a days, OMG, my smartphone has replaced my day planner. I pretty much communicate with everyone via text...

But, I still reserve/prefer important interactions in person....

• Author
Oh, I was just joking...

Look, when celphones first came out, I thought they were for pretentious people - you know, like those people with oversized car phones from the Wall Street movie...lol. But, when in the military I was always on the move and/or on training, I was happy to have one.

Then texting...while I'm not a talkative person, I still resisted cuz it was not only expensive when it first was popular - but I didn't want be like everyone else...lol.

But now a days, OMG, my smartphone has replaced my day planner. I pretty much communicate with everyone via text...

But, I still reserve/prefer important interactions in person....

lol I know you were obviously joking but thought you were making fun of people who don't own one. And Smartphones can tend to still be expensive today. I don't think $200-$300 for a phone is cheap lol. As well as monthly plans anywhere up to like $100-$110 from some carriers.

Of course I would. I would be interested to why he didn't have one and there would be times I might wish he did, but I think overall it would be nice to date someone not attached to their technology.

I think its appalling at how socially acceptable it is to just whip our phones out. I find it to be rude and damn irritating when I've gone to dinner with people and I see more blue lights than faces.

• Like 3

This reminds me that I need to read my instruction booklet for my phone before I go on vacation. I thought I was automatically connected to the internet but no, I have to download an app or something. I am clueless as I never use my phone and when people insist on my cellphone number I give it to them. Then they wonder why I don't check my messages. I prefer email and landline. I don't want to have to go outside to talk on my phone and still get a crappy connection. What is wrong with people? Call me at home and leave a message on my answering machine!

lol I know you were obviously joking but thought you were making fun of people who don't own one. And Smartphones can tend to still be expensive today. I don't think $200-$300 for a phone is cheap lol. As well as monthly plans anywhere up to like $100-$110 from some carriers.

Yes, but some how people have found a way to get them.

I mean, when I see long lines for the latest iPhone, I'm like "who are these people?" I mean, you're paying the same amount of money for a DVD player or flat screen TV about EVERY YEAR for a freakin phone?

And now, it's hard to buy a phone without all those features/expenses. I mean, for my smartphone I have to pay like $10 a month extra...what, ever!!!.

Unless you buy a flip phone or burner cel, you're gonna pay a minimum of like $40 a month.

But yeah, I like having data and what not on my phone. It helps me communicate with the family overseas, I can play games, and browse the web instead of using the computer at work....lol.

• Like 1
Of course I would. I would be interested to why he didn't have one and there would be times I might wish he did, but I think overall it would be nice to date someone not attached to their technology.

I think its appalling at how socially acceptable it is to just whip our phones out. I find it to be rude and damn irritating when I've gone to dinner with people and I see more blue lights than faces.

O...M...G, yes!!!

I was thinking of drawing some sort of New Yorker's comic strip that shows a family in the 50's sitting around a fire - where the women are knitting/sewing and the boys are like reading a book with dad....in contrast to 2000's where everyone is sitting in a circle on their own phone or tablet!!! lol

I mean, I was at a friends house the other day for a party and almost everyone was on their phone...I blatantly left my phone in my purse and got up and talked to people...

Even when I eat dinner at my sibling's place(s), I put the celphone somewhere else cuz that's just rude. On dates I'll wait till like he goes to the restroom and then I'll check my phone.

But yeah, so when I pull out my phone on a date and/or going out with friends that is my blatant signal that I don't wanna be there....lol!!!

• Like 1