Where do you meet people besides work/school/online?

40 Fonzarelli

There isn't anyone at work that I would be interested in and I'm getting tired of the bar scene. I was thinking of just doing cold approaches everywhere I go.

There isn't anyone at work that I would be interested in

You shouldn't be crapping where you eat anyway, and it never ends well when things go South (not talking Florida for the Winter in this case) ;)

Where to meet? Public library, grocery store, hobby / interest group (e.g. running), on vacation, kids activities, kids school (other parents).

I am NOT into the bar/pub/club scene either, and a club is the worst place to try and meet someone as you know it's only a matter of time before another club visit yanks them away from you....ala meat market

• Like 1

Join Meetup, or participate in community sports or clubs/organizations that do something you're interested in, or volunteer. People are everywhere. You just need to select a few specific activities that interest you, where you will meet like minded people to date.

• Like 1

Yep. What Tayken said... Go far outside your work and neighborhood but look within the things you enjoy doing* I've seen too much drama within the workplace and around neighborhoods. So not worth that action*

Have fun! :)

mortensorchid

Anything community minded is a good thing, it will at least give you the feeling like you are around others in something other than the norm (bar, work, education, etc.). There are no sure things in life, however, so you have to keep interacting with others somehow.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

I joined a public speaking group a few months ago and have already met a few dating prospects through the group. The strongest prospect, the one I sometimes catch gazing at me dreamily during our meetings, just added me on a 3rd social media account, and I see he's a Capricorn (perfect match for Cancer me), so I feel like the possibilities are getting a little warmer. Of course it's too early to tell, but that kinda excited feeling is fun :D

I've always met the best guys through hobby groups like this. It makes sense - you're meeting people who share a common interest enough to do it in a social way in their free time. You're bound to be on a similar wavelength.

• Like 2
and I see he's a Capricorn (perfect match for Cancer me)

Surely people don't use this as a barometer to pick partners??

Further to my list above. OP I don't know if you are gardener? I have had luck previously at garden centers (I know right) believe it or not, as I happen to have a Green thumb. Everything I plant just goes gangbusters....and I mean everything I plant ;)

• Like 2
Ruby Slippers
Surely people don't use this as a barometer to pick partners??

Not for picking, but definitely for fun :)

I think you might be able to meet some people off this forum. When the stars align they might give you a signal. I have seen signs at places.

• Like 2

Church, night-school classes, work seminars, conferences, walking the dog, gym, swimming pool, orchestra practice, at the garage/petrol station, store, on the tube/subway, doctor's/hospital waiting room, vet's , dog-training classes/dog shows, agricultural shows, football/tennis/hockey matches, school gates/PT evenings........:)

A guy gave me the cold approach while I was walking my dog. Passed me, said "Hi", I said "Hello" back and then went on because my dog was taking my attention when half of her body vanished in some bushes.

I walk on and that guy apparently changed his mind, walked after me (don't get creepy-ideas; it was in the middle of the day and there were plenty of people around us, no place for abductions ;)) and we chatted a bit. Gave him my number afterwards and great, now I don't have time anymore because he's at my old home and I'm moving far away into the city.

Nice approach dude, but your timing sucks. :(

Ninjainpajamas

The farther out of your immediate circle the better IMO.

Never been the kind of guy who wants to just date co-workers, friends of friends or the bar, or even anywhere I really spend a significant amount of time at.

You will meet more interesting and diverse people when you go out of the normal comfort zone, so really anywhere that's not your typical stomping grounds is preferred.

You're better off interacting with women doing things you like to do, or just out socializing going to events, or whatever.

You can also use OLD but it's not an easy way for a lot of guys and shouldn't ever be your only way of interacting with women, that's just something you can do for fun and to see if there's a chance to meet someone by chance really, unless you're good with OLD, then it's very convenient.

I wouldn't recommend going to bars to pick up women...at least for me that's not where I'd typically want to pick someone up, just go out to socialize and be out..and if you happen to see someone you like then start a conversation, but if you're going out for the sole purpose of looking for a woman that's almost destined to fail, it's all about opportunity and chance unless you're the kind of guy that just about takes anything home at the end of the night.

Michelle ma Belle

How about asking friends to set you up with someone they know?

I met my husband on a blind date :)

• Like 2
You shouldn't be crapping where you eat anyway, and it never ends well when things go South (not talking Florida for the Winter in this case) ;)

Where to meet? Public library, grocery store, hobby / interest group (e.g. running), on vacation, kids activities, kids school (other parents).

I am NOT into the bar/pub/club scene either, and a club is the worst place to try and meet someone as you know it's only a matter of time before another club visit yanks them away from you....ala meat market

If I considered dating to be similar to defecation, I would have never dated a coworker, a classmate, a colleague, or anyone who lived within a 50 mile radius or who knew anyone I knew. And I would've brought a shovel and roll of TP to the date.

People.

• Like 1
The Like Fairy

Find someplace to volunteer where alot of women volunteer - animal shelters are a good start. Political groups, hobby groups, activity groups (hiking, kayaking, etc etc). Colleges have alot of groups as well.

The Like Fairy
I think you might be able to meet some people off this forum. When the stars align they might give you a signal. I have seen signs at places.

Sometimes that works and sometimes that doesn't. It is typically a long distance relationship and I'm not a fan of that. Find someone local. I like Ruby Slipper's idea of a public speaking group or MeetUp Group, or animal adoption type group.

Ruby Slippers

Volunteering is a great idea. I've volunteered for most of my life, and it's usually 80% women.

I find that business and career development venues are more male-dominated. My public speaking group is about 70% men.

If I considered dating to be similar to defecation, I would have never dated a coworker, a classmate, a colleague, or anyone who lived within a 50 mile radius or who knew anyone I knew. And I would've brought a shovel and roll of TP to the date.

People.

You should only date people you might see even after you break up if you can act like an adult.

Activities that are somewhat related to work such as Chamber of Commerce Meetings, trade shows; continuing education classes.

Volunteering to do something you are passionate about will also open your social circle to other like minded people.

The gym.

People about to point out other people only go to the gym strictly to work out and working out requires an extreme amount of attention....just shut up.

You should only date people you might see even after you break up if you can act like an adult.

True that.

Comparing dating to shltting pretty much rules that out....

I stick strongly to the "don't screw the crew, keep your pen outta company ink," principles. Unless all the rules and the immediate nature of the relationship is outlined forehand, it is more likely to fail. Emotions usually factor in the relationship more than they are understood, often with one having stronger feelings.

I approach any woman who gives me a spark that makes me want to approach her. She could cross my path on the street, at the grocery store, bank, public transit, wherever.

Nowadays people hide behind computers and let a dating site do the work. I find it more rewarding to approach women face to face and put the ball in her court.

My profile is generated with my balls, not a machine with a thousand choices. It's not always fair but confidence goes a long way in the dating world.