How important is a womans hair style when it comes to attraction/dating?

Just curious, would like to get some male opinions here.

I'm a thirty-something woman, and over the past few years have experienced some healh issues that caused my hair to thin-out, pretty signifiantly. Like I lost 2/3 of my hair. the shed stopped but it's pretty thin now, but extremely healthy, very shiny and soft no damage at all. I'm not balding here, just now have very delicate hair.

Despite what my doctor told me, my hair has never really grown back much, it thickened up some, but its nothing like its former glory. Sad really :(

I cannot wear my hair in a longer style anymore (right now it is shoulder length but even that looks dreadful when I leave it down) so I put it up in an updo everyday.

I would like to get a proper haircut and style and my options will be relegated to shorter styles, I am probably going to end up with a chin length style.

Is this a turn-off for men? Shorter hair on a woman, thinner hair on a women?

Thanks!

I don't even recommend you asking the question and getting a bunch of comments from strangers who don't know you and can't see you. There's often a difference between an ideal on paper, and what people are attracted to in real life.

You have what you have. Some guys will like it, some won't. But you can only work with what you have :)

• Like 6

Wondering the same thing.

Hair back / in ponytal / bun rather than wearing it down - is that a turnoff? I personally think hair back looks way better on some girls than hair down.

How about this...hair that doesn't shed all over the house is preferred :)

@OP....I can tell you this, a woman with long hair shoulder length / up to her backside with a nice flowing summery dress always looks good at a glance before you see their face / they open their mouth / see other features.

I am personally NOT a fan of the single pony-tail, and prefer the Wendy gal double pony tail if hair must be in a pony.

The bun of course is more popular for wedding / some other similar function.

Regardless, the shape of a person's face plays a big role in this, just like haircut for men.

• Author

I wear my hair in a messy twist fastened with a clip. It's always off my face. I think I have a nice face, and look fine with my hair up.

But, I miss being able to wear my hair down. I know that I cannot currently wear my hair down with it being so thin. Even though it is healthy, it looks too scraggly even at shouder length. It cannot support layers either. I will have to have shorter hair, like a bob style.

I have never had such short hair before and so it is something that I am trying to come to terms with. I miss my long beautiful hair. Random men and women used to compliment my hair all the time and one of my ex BF's always told me to keep my hair long as it looked so nice. This has been a hard thing for me to stomach. Losing hair is devastating, especially when you are a thirty-something women who is very single and competing with younger girls for guys your own age.

If I were you, I would keep my hair in a twist as you are comfortable and play up the features you love. Maybe your eyes, lips, or pretty jaw and neck.

It'll take them a while to notice your hair, and by then they may not care :)

• Like 1

I know we are talking about hair here, but I am one man that actually notices the smaller details. First thing I look at is a woman's shoes, and work my way up.

Certain shoes just tell me "there is nothing to see here", and I move on. You lot might think this is weird, but the way a person dresses can tell you things about them.

I personally like a woman that dresses well (NOT the hooker look or designer crazy gear), it gives me a hard on before they even open their mouth. I think this has something to do with the environment I grew up in (population now 8 million), and the influence.

Dresses on women are my favourite (only possible in spring and summer of course), skirts below the knew, flats (not birkenstocks), sandals, horse riding boots. I don't go ga-ga over jeans on a woman :(

For me...

- my running shoes are for running

- I do NOT wear jeans

- I like trousers and dress shirts sometimes with cuffs

- I know the type of shoes that suit me, and can tell the moment I walk into a store

- I buy my own clothes

OP - why not focus on what you like and what you think will look best on you. This is your hair, your head, your body. Focus on your interests and not what others may like.

Confidence is the sexiest aspect about a person. :)

• Like 2

I hear you. Same problem here. At almost 50 I have been spared of a lot of signs of growing older so far: I am slim (I have so far always been the size I was at 18), hardly any wrinkles, no gray hair BUT a lot less hair on my head that I used to have. Remember the Sue Ellen from Dallas long layered hair cut? That was me, until I was +/ 35. Since then it's gone downhill, despite all the iron and zinc and vitamin supplements.

If you don't have a lot of hair, I think it is better to have it shorter as lenght only emphasises how thin it is. A layered cut can add volume.

Personally I am actually really good with boy cut short hair, I can pull it off. I just like the feeling of longer hair so right now I have a layered bob, chin long.

The man who will fall in love with me will not be the kind of guy who only wants women with long hair...

Shiny hair and a hairstyle which suits you will speak volumes more than length.

Last year I had a mishap (plus an awful shed) and had to cut my hair to a pixie. I warned my husband. Needless to say he wasn't thrilled. But after cutting it he said it wasn't as bad as he'd expected. I wore makeup and dressed more feminine. Believe it or not turned more heads than with longer hair!

Also, you may want to try authentic henna/cassia/indigo herbs. It's known to thicken up hair strands. There's info on another forum (Long Hair Community). They've helped me grow my hair again to BSL (in a little over than a year!) thicker and healthier than ever.

• Like 1
Shiny hair and a hairstyle which suits you will speak volumes more than length.

Last year I had a mishap (plus an awful shed) and had to cut my hair to a pixie. I warned my husband. Needless to say he wasn't thrilled. But after cutting it he said it wasn't as bad as he'd expected. I wore makeup and dressed more feminine. Believe it or not turned more heads than with longer hair!

Also, you may want to try authentic henna/cassia/indigo herbs. It's known to thicken up hair strands. There's info on another forum (Long Hair Community). They've helped me grow my hair again to BSL (in a little over than a year!) thicker and healthier than ever.

What is BSL? Thanks for mentioning this forum, I'll have a look even though I have shorter hair but maybe I can read some info which helps me.

What is BSL? Thanks for mentioning this forum, I'll have a look even though I have shorter hair but maybe I can read some info which helps me.

Bra Strap Length

OMG, I did not know such an abbreviation existed. No, my BSL days are over since many years.

I didn't know either and had to learn all the "hair" terminology. There's great advice on that forum, even if you'd like to keep short hair.

• Like 1

The most important thing is to find a hair style that suits you. If you are walking around with your hair pulled back hoping nobody is looking at it, then you are walking around feeling down and not confident. That is more unattractive than anything you could do with your hair.

Go to a very good stylist, explain your situation, and let them choose a style that is going to work with your thin hair. Let them show you how to style it so that you can feel wonderful about yourself.

Even if you end up with very short hair, you can turn heads. Sure there is a subset of men who are only interested in girls with long luxurious hair. But then - do you really want someone who only cares about your hair?

Going off topic slightly, my separated Wife completely changed her hair style the week before she left. From the aforementioned 'bsl' to a short (visible back of neck), but piled up on top style.

Now, if i was the nervous type, i'd be reading more into it than perhaps i should. But to those that have left their Husbands, is this a subconscious severing of the old for the new, or an attempt to make themselves more attractive to potential 3rd parties?

Now, if i was the nervous type, i'd be reading more into it than perhaps i should. But to those that have left their Husbands, is this a subconscious severing of the old for the new, or an attempt to make themselves more attractive to potential 3rd parties?

There are a lot of reasons a woman gets a haircut. Sometimes it is just that she is sick of her hair and wants to feel good about it. Sometimes she sees a celebrity or friend with an attractive cut and wants to try it.

• Like 1
There are a lot of reasons a woman gets a haircut. Sometimes it is just that she is sick of her hair and wants to feel good about it. Sometimes she sees a celebrity or friend with an attractive cut and wants to try it.

Thanks. Problem i (like many others, i imagine) have is that i keep adding up 2+2 and arriving at the wrong number. Move out, wants space, changes appearance, leaves all her PJ's and her robe behind (took her nightgown).

On the evenings when i've stopped rushing around and sat down, and my head has room to wander, it goes places it shouldn't. :(

I've always had rather thick hair; a real mane if you catch my meaning. For practical reasons I kept it short to about shoulder length; now that I've decided to let them grow (they're just a little past the shoulder blades now) they're definitely gaining a lot more attention.

Interestingly, many websites where girls asked guys about their hair many wrote that they prefer long hair too. Took me some time to get used to them but now I actually love that slight tickle when they fall over my shoulders. :)

Hairstyles are about what looks good on YOU.

Not every woman looks good with long hair.

Hair styles just like clothing styles are what accentuates YOUR features most.

Lots of women have gorgeous short hair where they look so much better that way than with longer hair. So I'd ask my stylist for a style (and even color if you really wanna switch it up) which will play up my facial structure, skin tone, eyes etc.

I think most people, men or women, like a person with their own style, which fits them and which they rock well than expecting them to have some generic kind of appearance.

Hairstyles are about what looks good on YOU.

Not every woman looks good with long hair.

Hair styles just like clothing styles are what accentuates YOUR features most.

Lots of women have gorgeous short hair where they look so much better that way than with longer hair. So I'd ask my stylist for a style (and even color if you really wanna switch it up) which will play up my facial structure, skin tone, eyes etc.

I think most people, men or women, like a person with their own style, which fits them and which they rock well than expecting them to have some generic kind of appearance.

You can say that again :D

I recently cut my hair from BSL to just above my shoulder blades. About 5 inches or so? Nothing dramatic, but the reactions I received were quite dramatic!

A lot of "Why would you do that?!" "But it was so long and pretty!" and even from a male friend "Women should never cut their hair. It makes their attractiveness level go down" - how rude! haha

My hair is very straight and silky, which makes it fragile. I baby it and take good care of it, but it still ends up damaged at the ends, which is why I cut it. I want a fresh start with healthy hair. It grows quickly anyway.

Point is, everyone will have an opinion, no matter what. Do what works best for you. If someone has a very extreme opinion about something as fleeting as hair, they may not be the best match for you anyway.