Reality TV strikes again:

Show on TLC: 90 Day Fiance about couples who were marrying using the K-1 visa allowing the foreign person 90 days to be in the US & if not legally married w/in that time they must return to their native country.

All 4 couples had an American man & foreign woman. Countries: Colombia/Brazil/Russia/Phillipines. The women from Russia/Phillipines got the worst reception from their intended's families. Both of those men had friends & family that were convinced those two ladies were just trying to get into the country/mail order bride/scamming etc.

On the show all the weddings went through though, no one cancelled or went home. What I noticed was:

- Although reality TV shows do "pretty up" their subjects IMO ALL the men were less physically attractive than their women.

- All of the women were dependent financially upon their fiances. (Naturally as they were leaving everything behind to come to America). But this also leads to the idea that they were going to be able to have a higher standard of living than in their own countries. Not much details on the show as to what if any jobs the women had in their home countries, but the Brazilian/Phillipine ladies were shown in their own villages & they were rural/poor communities. All of the women lived with their families previously.

- One of the men was a Mormon & he married the Brazilian girl who was 21 to his 28 & during the course of the show she actually went for photo shoots as a model & was repeatedly told she was gorgeous (she was) & he was not happy about it. I thought the Mormons had a pretty tight community: why couldn't he find an American Mormon? (she was a convert that he met when he was doing missionary work in Brazil). They were both virgins as well. I'm thinking his commitment to his religion was secondary, he went for her b/c she was beautiful & unsophisticated (she'd never seen a supermarket). He will be the one to make all the decisions (he even accompanied her to the agency interview to stress that they were Mormon & she couldn't do "racy" photos). He told her he wanted 5 children...way to make sure she doesn't keep that model body.

I'm hoping there will be another episode (if TLC has one) showing foreign men coming to their American fiancees. If the American women are much older & less attractive than their men, it will confirm a stereotype that something is wrong with a person who can't get a mate w/in their own culture/country. In my opinion these were not couples who were well balanced in terms of equality.

If you are well traveled or working in a field that posts you in another country for long periods, you may very well find your mate in another country... but it will likely be in your field as well, ex. two professors meeting at a university where one of them is on a temporary work visa. I mean the partners will be on equal footing financially/educationally. There won't be huge gaps in either language, culture or education levels. This show did not really present the couples as such.

Actually there was a fifth couple on their website who didn't make it so they were not on the broadcast. In any event it is reality TV not a documentary so they actual did stuff like have a count down and teased that the couples were in a 90 day sex trial, except the Mormons, after meeting.

They have blasted the visa boards trying to get a second set of couples with the prize being airfare to bring the fiance over. Besides those who need that bit of assistance exactly who wants to go into their wedding as a Kardashian replacement?

I'm hoping there will be another episode (if TLC has one) showing foreign men coming to their American fiancees. If the American women are much older & less attractive than their men, it will confirm a stereotype that something is wrong with a person who can't get a mate w/in their own culture/country. In my opinion these were not couples who were well balanced in terms of equality.

URGENT... Casting call, 9/17/2014.

American women seeking to marry third world citizens.

Must be willing to marry poor and uneducated partner.

Must be willing to have five or more kids with poor, uneducated, unemployed partner with with few prospects.

Must be tolerant of third world attitudes toward women.

Must have substantial financial resources to expedite the immigration process and to satisfy any customary bridal dowry(s).

Must be observant of any foreign customs or religious inclinations.

Must be tolerant of poor personal hygiene and health practices, as customary.

Language barrier likely.

• Like 1

They probably selected certain couples for the show to create drama cuz of the K-1 situations I've dealt with, they had like dated/known each other before they filed for the K-1....So, it wasn't some situation where in 90 days it's 'figure out if you're a match' nonsense this show is trying to push.

About women looking for guys? I've seen some of those cases too...TRUST ME.

But seriously, I guess more than likely it's gonna be women cuz, IMO, in those countries women have less opportunities than U.S. women. When I first came back to the states as an adult and saw women doing this or that, my jaw dropped.

As a show with a fake concept they have been flanked by another networks Married At First Sight. How can 90 days compete with people who will fame whore their way to that show?

Must be willing to have five or more kids with poor, uneducated, unemployed partner with with few prospects.

Must have substantial financial resources to expedite the immigration process and to satisfy any customary bridal dowry(s).

Language barrier likely.

Gosh, didn't realise we still lived in the 19th century :confused:

One of the men was a Mormon & he married the Brazilian girl who was

21 to his 28 & during the course of the show she actually went for photo

shoots as a model & was repeatedly told she was gorgeous (she was) & he

was not happy about it. I thought the Mormons had a pretty tight community:

why couldn't he find an American Mormon? (she was a convert that he met when he

was doing missionary work in Brazil). They were both virgins as well. I'm

thinking his commitment to his religion was secondary, he went for her b/c she

was beautiful & unsophisticated (she'd never seen a supermarket). He will

be the one to make all the decisions (he even accompanied her to the agency

interview to stress that they were Mormon & she couldn't do "racy" photos).

He told her he wanted 5 children...way to make sure she doesn't keep that model

body.

Yeah, I saw this program. That girl was so beautiful and innocent it was ridiculous. She had an opportunity to become a model but he didn't want her to do it because he knows if she had gotten out there in the world someone else would steal her in no time flat. This girl is absolutely adorable. The other brides, not so much.

Language barrier likely.

Urgent message

Don't believe everything you here.

The media might portray other countries in a negative light

I'm from a foreign country and it's nothing like they say.

Reality TV is garbage and the worst thing that happened to TV.

Then lying to your "cast?" makes it harder to get real recruits. You can hear them on the show talking about the documentary. But Lisa Ling was no where in sight when the ex wife shows up to demand the Aya can not have children

• Like 1

Looks like they found 6 more couples season 2. And the wish for an American woman, two actually has been satisfied. One fits the strerotype of the woman old enough to be a African Muslim's mother. I guess season 3 will be a gay couple since those are also being accepted now.

@

2 October

And the Bachelor Canada season 2 started 15mins ago. It always blows my mind how shallow some women are, and how they will do anything to be on TV. Based on what I got a glimpse of, only 2 of the women were decent career wise, a medical doctor and a school teacher...the rest were just flaky types and people doing odd jobs

It's reality TV....

How anyone can infer anything about the real world from reality TV is beyond me. Do you also believe that Mickey Mouse is real?

I know ^^...why don't they call it "scripted TV"?!?

And, if there is no "drama" (someone beating up someone, sex, calling someone bad names), then it gets no ratings.

Of the few I actually watch (i.e. Shipping Wars, Panic 911) they get cancelled and/or low ratings cuz they are not full of crap like other "reality TV" shows.

I forgot how it goes, but I've heard people say something like 'what people find entertaining is a measure of the current society'...And, I feel like we're going back to the days of gladiators - where people cheer on lions chewing up guys and/or guys battling to the death.

• Like 1