New Study Reveals Interesting Link Between Men's Height And Divorce

These sort of "studies" always kills me. There is so much more to true research than someone saying hey, we did this study and this is what we found. They then just throw around some numbers at us. These studies often do not hold up to scrutiny but most people will just take the bait and then go around quoting the study. For example, what did the 4,500 families come from and what were their cultural backgrounds? Could culture be an influence on the data? Those questions are not even the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

Tall men have more options so they generally tolerate less crap. Its not complicated.

Tolerating crap is a big part of staying married.

• Like 5
TouchedByViolet
Tall men have more options so they generally tolerate less crap. Its not complicated.

That was my first thought :laugh:

But to be fair something as complex as success of a marriage should not be over simplified to height.

• Like 1

Except shouldn't somebody be throwing around that BS stat about how women initiate most divorces right about now? I mean, that would directly contradict this. :rolleyes:

And anyway, the study itself contradicts it: It suggests that shorter men compensate by being more hyper-masculine within the marriage and marrying women who are less likely to challenge them.

Meh.

I agree with Jules up there. This sort of study is just a Rorshach test. People will tend to just take what they want rather than taking the time to think about it. I don't see how anyone could possibly conclude anything at all, really.

• Like 4

But to be fair something as complex as success of a marriage should not be over simplified to height.

It's the same idea with beautiful women. Beautiful women have more options and tolerate less in a marriage.

• Like 1

"stat about women how women initiate most divorces"

I've seen this stat thrown into several posts lately

Sometime check out the other marriage and divorce websites, and you will find that most posters are women who have caught their husbands cheating

It's the same idea with beautiful women. Beautiful women have more options and tolerate less in a marriage.

Is every tall guy the equivalent to a beautiful women?

I doubt ugly and average looking tall guys have women fawning over them simply because they're tall

Of course not. It stands to reason that if someone marries later in life, he or she is more likely to pick the right partner therefore less likely to divorce. Jesus wept :rolleyes:

Sometime check out the other marriage and divorce websites, and you will find that most posters are women who have caught their husbands cheating

The statistics are based on randomized, non-biased, scientific data. Internet posts are classified as "voluntary response" data which mostly consists of information by those who have the strongest opinions, not those who reflect the population of interest. This is basic statistics. It might just mean that women get the most mad in the event of infidelity and therefore post about it more on forums.

The statistics are based on randomized, non-biased, scientific data. Internet posts are classified as "voluntary response" data which mostly consists of information by those who have the strongest opinions, not those who reflect the population of interest. This is basic statistics. It might just mean that women get the most mad in the event of infidelity and therefore post about it more on forums.

Nevertheless those randomized, non-biased, scientific data (which may well be considerably out of date - the one I've seen cited most often is in the neighborhood of 20+ years old) say NOTHING about the causes for filing, one way or the other. That stat, too, is a Rorschach test and it's an extremely popular knee-jerk inkblot here at LS.

So my point was that throwing around that stat is the equivalent of throwing around the idea that taller men have more successful marriages - it tells you essentially nothing of value.

Except shouldn't somebody be throwing around that BS stat about how women initiate most divorces right about now? I mean, that would directly contradict this. :rolleyes:

And anyway, the study itself contradicts it: It suggests that shorter men compensate by being more hyper-masculine within the marriage and marrying women who are less likely to challenge them.

Meh.

I agree with Jules up there. This sort of study is just a Rorshach test People will tend to just take what they want rather than taking the time to think about it. I don't see how anyone could possibly conclude anything at all, really.

So tall men don't have more dating options?

Its well known that the more options you have, the higher your standards become. This is human nature and doesn't apply strictly to dating.

Women also cheat more than men.

Ninjainpajamas

"Not only will short men be married longer, but they'll be alive longer"

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Another good reason to be thankful not to have the "short-man-gene".

Ninjainpajamas
Of course not. It stands to reason that if someone marries later in life, he or she is more likely to pick the right partner therefore less likely to divorce. Jesus wept :rolleyes:

It also stands to reason that the older people are when they marry the less likely they are to divorce because they are simply older than they would been if they had married younger, and may not be as motivated/interested in becoming single at that stage in life.

• Like 1

There was also another study that said women were more likely to cheat on men with a large penis...

So .... short and small penis is where it is at for men and women's long term marriage success.....maybe this will stop so many of those GD penis and height complaint threads around here.:lmao:

then again we might start the "my penis is too large ! and I am too tall - am I doomed in marriage??" threads ....

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 2
Is every tall guy the equivalent to a beautiful women?

I doubt ugly and average looking tall guys have women fawning over them simply because they're tall

While I don't disagree if you skim OLD profiles the number of women who have strict height restrictions is staggering. Many of them are down to the inch, ie. "Dont respond if you are not 5'11 or taller". Why 5'11" (in that example) is the magic number I really dont know, because seeing their pictures these women are looking more like 5'6" themselves.

So while I doubt average or ugly tall guys have beautiful women fawning all over them, I think given the staggering number of women with minimum height restrictions certainly does give taller guys more options.

I could see the height restriction if the woman was quite tall herself - but I have dated taller women and they obviously didn't have a height restriction. I'm 5'6" and I dated one girl who was 6'1" and she made a big deal about how height wasnt an issue for her before she ever met me.

I think some women have the misconception that a taller guy has a bigger member. Something that quite a few of the women I have dated have said that the inverse is actually true.

While I don't disagree if you skim OLD profiles the number of women who have strict height restrictions is staggering. Many of them are down to the inch, ie. "Dont respond if you are not 5'11 or taller". Why 5'11" (in that example) is the magic number I really dont know, because seeing their pictures these women are looking more like 5'6" themselves.

So while I doubt average or ugly tall guys have beautiful women fawning all over them, I think given the staggering number of women with minimum height restrictions certainly does give taller guys more options.

I could see the height restriction if the woman was quite tall herself - but I have dated taller women and they obviously didn't have a height restriction. I'm 5'6" and I dated one girl who was 6'1" and she made a big deal about how height wasnt an issue for her before she ever met me.

I think some women have the misconception that a taller guy has a bigger member. Something that quite a few of the women I have dated have said that the inverse is actually true.

No, I have never heard any woman make that correlation. I think it comes down to a simple desire that your male counterpart is taller than you to whatever degree desired. So, some women want the man much taller, some prefer at least equal, and some desire shorter.

It really does come down to something as simple as preferring that he is taller. Nothing deeper than that.

Hmm, maybe we should see the divorce stats there broken down too. Is their a noticeable variance in who imitates the divorce in marriages between tall and short men. Is the % of women initiating divorce lower for the tall married husbands. It might even be the higher and this could because the taller husbands cheat more because of more options or have a less supporting nature because they think they are the better catch in the relationship.

Marrying later in life is co-related to less divorce and better expectations in marriage, so that helps explain the lower divorce rates for shorter men somewhat. Maybe these guys behave better in their marriage or appreciate their wives better too because they founder it a bit harder to find gfs to marry when younger. There would be that element there but we don't know of its level of significance. You can only surmise some things from the national statistics in the absence of more comprehensive questionnaires.

As for taller men marrying better educated women, there's no shock there for me from what I have observed over the years. I think its two way effect. A man with more options will chose the better career gf over the alternative equivalent attractive woman. I worked with lots of university educated women and noticed the desire of tall men and negative attitude towards short men was strongest with these women over the years. They would pursue taller guys, I guess as part of their higher expectations in life. Also maybe because better educated women have higher expectations in life, that may account for them divorcing more when their marriages don't live up to their ideals + they can get by better financially either through their qualifications or bigger payout from a higher earning taller guy.