Is it odd to finish college at the age of 28?

dragon_fly_7

As strangely as this sounds, I'll be done with college for the first time at the age of 28. This will be towards late 2015.

Once in a while I do feel a bit behind because some people are already successful in their mid 20's while I still have to work a call center, making calls from home (even on Sundays too). I'm only tolerating this job because it's helping me pay for my online courses, as mentioned I'll be done next year and it's only an appointment setting campaign with calls only lasting 1-2 mins if someone requested the information.

I've been applying for practice jobs relating to business administration and hotel management on a job search site, only to be insulted by an invitation asking me if I'm interested in a billing department or sales position; call center again and if I can barely tolerate what I'm doing now I can't imagine handling calls in those departments.:mad:

Not at all. I've had folks over 50 in some college classes. Besides, doing "odd" things is often a much more interesting way to live life. Better an Odd Todd than an Even Steven.

• Like 2

It's not odd at all. Education is a continuing adventure. I myself just finished my masters and I'm in my 40's. At some point I plan on working on a doctoral... so I'm sure I'll be in my 50's by the time that is finished. Don't worry about your age, just focus on what your goal is and how to get there.

Absolutely not! In fact, I'm almost nervous when it comes down to my college I'll go to in September; from what I've seen, the majority of people there is at least 3 - 5 years older than me. :eek:

Absolutely not! In fact, I'm almost nervous when it comes down to my college I'll go to in September; from what I've seen, the majority of people there is at least 3 - 5 years older than me. :eek:

Uh oh! You'd better hide your lunch money.

No.

People have different life trajectories and lots of people are older students. It's not an uncommon thing.

Don't compare yourself with others. Just do what you need to do to get where you need to be.

• Like 1

I am now 50. It took 12 years to get my bachelors, so I was 30. A year off before doing a Masters meant I was almost 35 for that degree.

I'm 29...I still have to get a degree and I have little to no college classes under my belt.

It's never too late. You're almost finished...you should feel proud of yourself not self conscience about the length of time it took you.

Be happy! I wish I were at the end of getting my degree instead of at the beginning but hey, I'm not ashamed. I've worked my butt off and taken care of myself all my life.

Remember, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. (=

Congrats!

• Like 1

It's not just because you're not the main age for finishing college. Listen, I know three parents with kids who graduated from good schools and are smart, and they are all three working as food servers in restaurants because it's better money than some entry level job in their profession. Trouble is you can't keep doing waitressing after you're so old. Get what you can get in your field and start working yourself up the ladder because everyone has to, no matter the education, and take a job on the side making money serving at a restaurant. It's debatable at this point if a college education is really worth the investment, especially if you have to take the loan out to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Nice to hear I'm not alone after all. Yeah, it's better later than never. Will be resuming classes next month. That's the advantage of online courses; shorter vacation and we finish college at a quicker pace.

• Like 1