can relations such as these work out?

Where the man is uneducated and the woman is super educated?

I'm a loser, I'm 28 years old and still working, very slowly, on my master's in math. I've lost interest in my subject of study and I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever finish it. I have already accepted that I'm a mediocre human being. But, there are women on match who I'm attracted to on a number of levels who are anything but mediocre. They have doctorate degrees and PhDs in things like neuroscience, biochemical engineering or the equivalent in veterinary science, medicine or law. Plus, a lot of these women are as much as 4 years younger than me. I pretty much stand no chance, do I.

Edited by Eddy Street

Of course they can. People are attracted to confidence. It seems to me that you believe that your mediocre as you haven't completed your Masters, but as you've said you have lost interest in the subject. Approach these women with confidence and positivity, some will be interested in you and others wont but that's normal. I also think you should consider doing another subject, should funds permit, for your Masters and if that is not possible maybe look at doing something that you do find interesting around it. People spend an awful lot of time just plodding along in life but never truly understanding what it is they like. Maybe you should write a list. You may be attracted to these women because of what they have achieved, perhaps you have a little envy??

Just a bachelors? and only partially through your masters in mathematics ......you are quite the doofus.

I had a wife once who completed her PhD and then all of sudden only wanted to be with her fellow erudite. I was thought lowly because I watched TV and read Stephen King novels instead of going to art openings and reading Thomas Pynchon. Despite my bachelors in science and a salary twice hers (or her fellow PHd's), and twice the industry publications, I was the blue collar husband.

The only thing you need to work on is your self-esteem and manhood. Time to start learning some other things - while you are on hold with your masters.

Where the man is uneducated and the woman is super educated?

I'm a loser, I'm 28 years old and still working, very slowly, on my master's in math. I've lost interest in my subject of study and I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever finish it. I have already accepted that I'm a mediocre human being. But, there are women on match who I'm attracted to on a number of levels who are anything but mediocre. They have doctorate degrees and PhDs in things like neuroscience, biochemical engineering or the equivalent in veterinary science, medicine or law. Plus, a lot of these women are as much as 4 years younger than me. I pretty much stand no chance, do I.

A lot depends on how you present yourself. You're calling yourself a mediocre human being, a loser, and you're focused on the fact that you're thinking of chucking this course of study you've been in. That's the story you're telling us about yourself, and I can't tell, but possibly the one you're telling people on match. Would you date you, described as such? I doubt it...and I also doubt that that's the sort of self-presentation that's drawing you to these women with doctorate degrees.

So ok, you're maybe done with math. What are you interested in? What positives do you bring to the table? In what ways are you not mediocre?

OP, if you find a single woman attractive, ask her on a date. Don't worry about such aspects as education and money. That all shakes itself out in the end. Each iteration, regardless of outcome, is good information, teaches life lessons and improves social skills.

If you want to do great things in life, do them because you love them, and yourself. Others can come along for the ride if they choose, but it's your car. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

A fancy degree is not the be all end all. You aren't a loser unless you think of yourself that way.

A dear friend of mine had a law degree & was a partner at a fairly large firm. her husband has a high school education but he was witty, charming & successful in his own way. He built a good business from scratch. Nobody ever asked to see anybody's diploma.

I have a fancy advanced post graduate degree. When I met & married him, my husband had yet to graduate from college.

• Like 3

Wisdom is not only measured in academic settings. Don't lower yourself because of your educational level. Many of my friends have higher education than me but we talk just fine. If you have intellect, it will show, regardless of what degree you have. If you connect with a woman, you do so regardless of her education. You just click, we can't educate ourselves to click with someone. Stay away from using negative words to describe yourself, now that is what generally is found, unattractive. Good luck.

You're working on your Masters...that's hardly loser status. I expected you to say you didn't even graduate from high school.

I'm working on my PhD and my bf is an engineer but he only has a BS...it doesn't bother me. I've also dated men who didn't go to college. One of my exes didn't go to college but you would NEVER know as he is very articulate, intellectual as well as successful with his own business.

For the most part I think I've had more education than most of the men I've dated and I accept that that's probably gonna be the case much of the time. While many PhDs, MDs, lawyers etc marry others in their field or with similar levels of education, the point is it is SIMILAR not the same and some don't marry people with the same level of education. I don't think a man with a Masters is so much less educated than a woman with a PhD. Both pursued higher education, one a bit higher,but nevertheless if you can get your Masters you obviously value education enough to be able to be a decent match for someone with a PhD and it isn't some huge leap or such huge worlds apart.

I think there is definitely a baseline, where at minimum a woman with a PhD will most likely socialize and meet men with at least a Bachelor's degree...and you've passed that baseline. It's about the woman and what she wants. I don't date people with matching degrees. I look for someone with his own goals, ambition, who likes learning, who can also teach me things, who is good at whatever it is he does, whom I can talk to, who is intellectual enough and makes his own money who compliments me and supports what I do. I don't need him to know everything about my field or to have the same degree or a professional degree too...just have those qualities. My friends feel the same as well. I'm sure some women may be focused on matching degrees and education and so on...but I haven't heard any of my friends asking for that or turning men down because of that. So I wouldn't go in being insecure and assuming and acting like you're lesser than. If you're interested, message these women and engage them in conversation...I'm sure most will not shun you because you are not also a neuroscientist. Some might...but most women want a man who loves and complements them and realize that a degree or their education is not the end all and be all of a relationship.

Edited by MissBee

This is a sad read. I myself am "uneducated" as I do not have a college degree but I'm no fool & I certainly do not call myself a loser and neither should you. You should focus more on the good qualities you have because what you think are your bad qualities, really aren't bad at all. Don't sell yourself short or cut yourself down so much.

You're working towards your goals which a success all the same.

You have to love yourself and though you may be a humorous person to those who do not know you this post comes across as self destructive thinking and very low self esteem which ya gotta work on starting now!

Women love a man who's confident and who simply just loves them. Most woman could really care less about status and more about how well they are treated by a man (and not material wise either.) We want loyalty more than anything. We want to be your number one shining star above all other stars!

When you die you cannot take your legacy with you, you can only leave it behind and no matter how well you do in life someone will always find a way to sabotage you and your success story. To heck with those people! Besides, the best thing to leave behind is the memory to others of the man you were on the inside. That's what inspires people.

Edited by me85

But to answer your question...I didn't earn a degree but dated someone (and lived with them) for 2 years who earned a degree from one of the top 20 universities in the U.S. He came from a very wealthy family and all that jazz.

So ya, a RS like you're talking about is definitely possible and has happened many many times for lots of people.

For a while, my last RS was kinda like a Cinderella story. Without the happy ending. lol

But whoever would've thought that I would end up being the one out of his league? And overall a better person than he, regardless of my shortcomings in life...whoever would've thought...?

Edited by me85

Of course they can!

I am very smart academically, and I have a couple of degrees, both with distinction/honours, including one that lets me be called Dr.

My long term partner finished high school... just!

It works because there are so many other things I can admire about him - things that he is really competent about that I would have no idea how to do.