Wife has a shopping problem

My wife goes shopping and buys 4-5 shirts and a pair of shoes every week(~$250). It doesn't seem like a problem until at the end of the year she has bought around 250 new shirts and has spent over $10,000. This has gone on for many years and she now has around 2,500 shirts and 400 shoes. I can't get her to cut back shopping at all. She calls me cheap and I never make any progress. We are both professionals and have good jobs, but our house is out of space. How do I get her to cut spending? Has anyone else ever dealt with anything like this? We have been happily married but I am getting fed up. If this goes to a divorce can any of her clothes, shoes, hand bags, or jewelry offset my 401K?

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all that spending

take the credit card away -- or drop her limit

Dude - -she has a bad problem

give her a budget

Or show her the budget that you need to control as a family before it is too late

If this goes to a divorce can any of her clothes, shoes, hand bags, or jewelry offset my 401K?

Probably not.

Those items depreciate immediately upon having their tags removed. So the $10,000 worth of stuff she has bought last year is probably only worth $500, maybe.

The 401k is a tangible asset and if you live in a community property state, she will get half of it.

From a space perspective can you at least convince her to jettison the older stuff to make room?

Are you willing to make her a spread sheet & show her how much money you could have in retirement if she even cut her expenditures in half?