Do married friends go on vacation with single friends?

Awhile back, I asked my married friend if she wanted to go on vacation to Florida the following year, meaning just her and not her husband, she replied, "I wish I could go, but I don't have any money." Then I told her that we could go anytime, she replied, "I usually don't travel with friends, so my answer is no." What are the rules when traveling with friends? Only married couples go together , so single people get excluded? I don't have a boyfriend to go with, so I figured I could ask her, but apparently she's not interested.

Hi Lipitor11,

She just doesn't want to go w/o her husband. Yes: lots of married women don't ever go out w/o their husbands.

To overthink it: she may not trust him to remain faithful to her for even a 3 day weekend, or she may actually cheat on him first chance she gets & he knows it so he won't let her go away without him. Either option is not what you want in a vacation partner.

I have married friends I could ask to go on a short vacation w/but as to the logistics: they want to spend their limited, difficult to accrue, even more difficult to get approved by their bosses; vacation time w/their husbands and/or children, not with me & that's normal.

Single people have different lifestyles & priorities than their friends who are married. It's just the way it is. Remember this the next time she wants you to do something with or for her that is out of your lifestyle priorities, she should be understanding if you have to say no.

I agree with D.Mc. She doesn't want to go on vacation without her husband.

As for a general question, I don't think it would be a problem for married friends to go on vacation with single friends but it all depends on the circumstance. I can understand a married person going on vacation with someone that he/she knew before the marriage especially if there were no kids, financial, or marital issues preventing the vacation.

Grumpybutfun

Yes, my wife and I take separate excursions/vacations sometimes because I like extreme sports and outdoorsy activities and she goes to fashion shows or girlfriend weekends where they spend an entire day shoe shopping. We both enjoy the time with our friends, miss each other horribly, and then have a wonderful time taking about our adventures. We love each other very much, but we know that we need friendships and adventures without the other to keep being strong individuals with our own interests.

Maybe your friend is newly wed and her husband is overly controlling? Maybe she puts all of her interest in her husband. She sounds not interested though so you might want to think about what friendship means to her.

Grumps

• Author

Then in that case, I just need to make some new single friends to go on trips with, because apparently married friends without kids have other priorities. I guess its not really the same, different lifestyles, I would most likely be man-hunting while on vacation, while I couldn't really do any man-hunting with a married friend. I could understand the differences.

It depends. Some friends do. Others don't.

I'd do a girls weekend but nothing longer.

There are also travel groups for single women. It's a safety thing, not a single supplement, to some extent.

MuddyFootprints

Traveling with friends puts another dimension to the friendship, regardless of marital status. I am socially maxed out after a couple of days. I prefer not to vacation with friends, as a couple or individually.