Thoughts on this article ? About married men and younger women

PinkInTheLimo

When you look at the pictures in this article, that younger woman is absolutely not pretty! She might be younger than Stephen Hendry's wife but she is not prettier.

Ugh... the mention of Ronnie Wood marrying Sally Humphreys always leaves a bad taste in my mouth... And I'll never understand how she left her then fiance for him (literally about 2 weeks after he proposed, as well...)

Johnny Depp proves that if a man really wants to marry you, he will. He will stop with the excuses and put a ring on it.

I could have told her that was going to happen. I've been on the other side of it. Guy was with this girl on and off for 10 years and no marriage. After six years of dating he proposed to me. And we were long distance. I didn't want to because I was 18.

She chose to be with him for 14 years, but he didn't put a ring on it. That should have been a sign.

• Like 2

Celebs are constantly surrounded by the young and glamorous. If your partner has let themselves go, your own "mateworthiness" can be negatively impacted, especially in a business where the Next Big Thing is always just behind you, panting in your ear. If you're not part of a glamour couple, where two of you are carrying the nation's fixation, your slightest slip / bad hair day / sign of mortality could spell the end of your career.

It's not dissimilar in academia. The partner you married soon after graduation has slumped into a homebody, working a brain dead job which allows them to do the suburban mother thing, while you have become he expert in your field, travelling internationally and surrounded by the brightest brains on the block. Because of the intimate nature of PhD supervision, the cliche of the professor dumping the middle aged frumpy wife for the bright grad student has become ubiquitous, and the majority of middle aged male professors marry their former grad students and go on to have second families where the kids can deconstruct hegemonic power relations before they can walk.

• Like 1

If the article is correct, it seems like most of those guys have dumped their wife for another woman, rather than getting divorced because their marriage wasn't working out and then meeting another woman later.

I guess midlife crises aren't exactly new news. :p

But I don't understand women who will date or try to attract a married man. I don't care how unhappy he is in the marriage, a guy who will dump his wife for another woman just seems icky to me. How would you ever trust him - what's to stop him dumping you later, when someone else catches his eye, since he's just shown you that marriage means so little to him?

So what the article is suggesting is that when women are young and have a high mate value they tend to initiate divorce for a higher value partner and when men have acquired wealth and status by middle age, they tend to initiate divorce for a higher value partner.

Except Kelsey Grammar. He's creepy.

• Like 1
If the article is correct, it seems like most of those guys have dumped their wife for another woman, rather than getting divorced because their marriage wasn't working out and then meeting another woman later.

I guess midlife crises aren't exactly new news. :p

But I don't understand women who will date or try to attract a married man. I don't care how unhappy he is in the marriage, a guy who will dump his wife for another woman just seems icky to me. How would you ever trust him - what's to stop him dumping you later, when someone else catches his eye, since he's just shown you that marriage means so little to him?

Ego boost?

• Author
Johnny Depp proves that if a man really wants to marry you, he will. He will stop with the excuses and put a ring on it.

I could have told her that was going to happen. I've been on the other side of it. Guy was with this girl on and off for 10 years and no marriage. After six years of dating he proposed to me. And we were long distance. I didn't want to because I was 18.

She chose to be with him for 14 years, but he didn't put a ring on it. That should have been a sign.

Yes and I see he has followed through with his very famous quote:

"if you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second"

Ugh... the mention of Ronnie Wood marrying Sally Humphreys always leaves a bad taste in my mouth... And I'll never understand how she left her then fiance for him (literally about 2 weeks after he proposed, as well...)

"So Miss Humphreys, what initially attracted you to multimillionaire Ronnie Woods?"

Don't assume it's the wives always being dumped. Many get fed up and realize they could get a nice divorce settlement and have freedom and their own bit of fun. The dumped hubbies try to assuage their bruised egos with a younger woman. I doubt their ex-wives care at that point.

• Like 1
News flash! Men find younger women physically attractive. :rolleyes:

And women find younger men physically attractive. Madonna and Jennifer Lopez to name just two off the top of my head.

These marriages were in trouble to begin with.

• Like 1
"So Miss Humphreys, what initially attracted you to multimillionaire Ronnie Woods?"

Don't assume it's the wives always being dumped. Many get fed up and realize they could get a nice divorce settlement and have freedom and their own bit of fun. The dumped hubbies try to assuage their bruised egos with a younger woman. I doubt their ex-wives care at that point.

Although the article did specifically mention that it was men over 40 that initiated divorce more often then women over 40.

And, like you said, I'm sure it's not always the wives being dumped, just statistically more often than not...

Love it!!

In this case, I'm sure he was single. She wasn't married, but had a long long term boyfriend who then actually proposed (and she said yes) before dumping him a couple of weeks later for Ronnie (she was writing his biography and they'd been spending a lot of time together).

His name is now "banned" in certain circles I move in... Hers would be as well, but she works in the industry!