LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

Misinformation About Risks Associated with Paternal Age at Childbearing

General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2014, 3:11 PM   #1

Misinformation About Risks Associated with Paternal Age at Childbearing

Good information puts solid numbers on this subject. Subtitle, "Researcher Puts Out Misleading Press Release to Pump Up News Coverage, is Caught by Peers".

Science.
123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 3:21 PM   #2
Established Member

Nice try...

Not buying it...

I've been a scientist for a long time.

As much as the old guys trying to have kids into their 40's and above would prefer otherwise... It simply isn't logical that men's sperm has no contribution to the health or viability of child.

Try adoption if you absolutely must be a parent past that age. Is my opinion.
RedRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 3:29 PM   #3

"When compared to a child born to a 24-year-old father, a child born to a 45-year-old father is 1.5 times more likely to have autism, .7 times less likely to have ADHD, 1.3 times more likely to have a psychotic disorder, 1.5 times more likely to have bipolar disorder, .9 times less likely to have suicidal behavior, .8 times less likely to have a substance abuse problem, .7 times less likely to have failing grades in school, .9 times less likely to have low educational attainment, .8 times less likely to have a low IQ; and 1.5 times more likely to have some higher education."

From actual, measured data. Not opinion.
Old 8th April 2014, 3:38 PM   #4
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
Yep, life is imperfect yet it doesn't seem to stop older men from having children, and never will. Happy that my 'old' dad didn't let the specter of the loss of his daughters inhibit him from trying again with a new wife, way back in those times before we knew what was 'perfect' and what wasn't. Analysis paralysis comes to mind. IMO, there's a range of viability that crosses the nature and nurture aspects relevant to the age of the father; there's no 'perfect' answer.
123321 likes this.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 4:31 PM   #5
Established Member

Well, times ARE changing.

Women aren't obliged to have children with older men like they were in the past.

The guys hanging onto their mythical never ending fertility sound like those who deny climate change.

Just doesn't make sense to any logical person.

Then again, as long as there are poor young women, oppressed young women, and messed up young women... there will be an old guy looking to get with her. That probably won't change. Correct.
Old 8th April 2014, 5:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRobin View Post
Then again, as long as there are poor young women, oppressed young women, and messed up young women... there will be an old guy looking to get with her. That probably won't change. Correct.
First, your baggage is showing.

Second, has nothing to do with the study linked in the OP.
Revolver likes this.
Old 8th April 2014, 6:36 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123321 View Post
First, your baggage is showing.

Second, has nothing to do with the study linked in the OP.

Oh please.

You are the one with the 'baggage' if you can't handle that your sperm is getting older.

Do you also believe the world was created in 7 days... like literally?

And the world is flat??

Any other bogus science you want to throw our way?

Noone is saying you can't be a father... just adopt if you just gotta... I guess what chaps your *ss is that younger women aren't so keen to hook up with the older guys now... at least not the ones who want to have their own kids. As for me, I got my tubes tied. So it isn't even an issue for me. *shrug*
Old 8th April 2014, 6:44 PM   #8
Established Member

I think that since men produce new sperm, it makes sense that age would have less affect on men's fertility. I say this because women do not produce new eggs. Our eggs age, so our 20 year old eggs are in better shape than our forty year old eggs. Just like most other things on our body, they deteriorate over time. Our skin wrinkles, eyes get worse, etc. Old men make more defective sperm than younger men. But they do still make healthy new ones. We dont produce any healthy new eggs. My friend froze her eggs a few years ago for $10k.
Quiet Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 6:53 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Storm View Post
Old men make more defective sperm than younger men

Which is the main point.

People who want to have their own biological kids (men or women) need to be doing so at a relatively young age.... ie, less than 40.
Old 8th April 2014, 7:17 PM   #10
Established Member

I think from what I remember kids born into poverty have even higher health risks. So if we really want to benefit children we should leave the rich old men alone and focus our don't breed efforts on the poor people.
gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 8:27 PM   #11
Established Member

"Misinformation makes old, fat and broke middle aged men think young women want their sperm"
hotpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 8:53 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaius View Post
I think from what I remember kids born into poverty have even higher health risks. So if we really want to benefit children we should leave the rich old men alone and focus our don't breed efforts on the poor people.

Good point.

Not to mention... rich people do whatever they want... so it doesn't matter... and they have the money to manage whatever health issues might arise.

Can tell you that LOTS of fundamentalists are pretty pissed when women like me don't have kids though. I take some satisfaction in that.... lol.

The Planned Parenthood near where I used to live had at least one visit from the Klu Klux Clan... holding signs saying "Don't kill the white babies"... Saw it myself driving by. That is one holdover in the South I'm glad to see die or at least go underground.
gaius likes this.
Old 8th April 2014, 9:39 PM   #13
Established Member

yep if you really want to spend the money conceiving - the genetic risks to a child with older parents (sperm/egg) can be brought down to as good as a younger parent or better.

Brave new world and amazing stuff they can do if you have the money.

Last edited by dichotomy; 8th April 2014 at 9:42 PM..
dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 9:44 PM   #14
Established Member

People should be less concerned with what other people are doing / how old they are when they conceive.

Nunya.
Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
Keenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 9:44 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRobin View Post
Which is the main point.

People who want to have their own biological kids (men or women) need to be doing so at a relatively young age.... ie, less than 40.

What does that have to do with falsifying results and giving the public bad information? You said you didn't buy it. You don't buy what? You don't buy the statistics cited?
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote