So this is what he did...with my ring money...

We moved to a new city and my husband was hell bent on working freelance (I'm the bread winner) and trying to "stay home" for our 8 year old child.

However, he's in school everyday until 3pm. Anyway, he started slowly ...turned down a couple of full time jobs he got interviews for...and started doing this freelance work.

It has started to pick up...but sometimes it takes him 60 days to get paid. Anyway, my salary is okay but our living situation is tight and I get worried.

Well recently my wedding ring and some jewelry was stolen. Insurance wrote us a check for 6k. I told my husband we should hang on to the check and see if we need to pay bills with it.

He said okay...that was weeks ago. Well, I just found out today that he deposited that check weeks ago and we've been using it as a "cushion" until he gets paid.

Through therapy, I was asked to allow him to handle more...for me to trust him with these kinds of things...give him responsibility...

I was stunned today when I learned he deposited that check. My name was on it too and he said he didn't need my signature?

I am feeling really worried. Now I KNOW he didn't spend it on careless things ...although he did buy equipment for HIS business with some of it...but I just don't get it.

What would you do?

At a minimum I would make sure you are documented as an investor in the business for the amounts he spent with your insurance money.

I would keep talking to him about money & joint spending.

• Author

No sorry..this is the orginal poster's sister. She let me use her profile etc so I don't get caught posting by my husband.

I've been married for 15 years and having lots of trouble with my husband.

He wanted me to file bankruptcy .... and let him off the hook. And then he does this.... I'm not thrilled.

• Author

We both did actually. He brought me into the jewelry store to surprise me but when I picked one ... He had me fill out a credit application, since my credit was better than his. And that's how it all went... Credit was in my name but I suppose both of our incomes paid that bill. However, he makes about half my income. Or at least he did at that time.

acrosstheuniverse

Wait... Unless things work differently in the US, depositing a cheque doesn't mean he spent it, just that the money is now sat in the bank rather than having the physical cheque in your house, are you saying he spent all of the money?

• Author

He deposited it in his account. My name is not on it. Says we are using it for cushion of everyday expenses. I don't know how much he's spent of it.

He says we were cutting it close $$$ because his paychecks hadn't come in.