When you are lacking something when dating don't you have to look for

someone who brings to the table what you are lacking so yall it would be a beneficial situation? For example I don't drive but I do live alone in a very safe neighborhood and tend to look for women who drive but live at home with their parents or with relatives

That way when we want to spend a quiet evening at home we can be at my place and when we want to go to places outside the city she has the car.

Smart Move???

Smart Move???

If it works for you then it is a smart move for you.

Lack of mobility would turn me off but I live in an area where everyone has a car and public transportation sucks. Your results may vary.

• Author
If it works for you then it is a smart move for you.

Lack of mobility would turn me off but I live in an area where everyone has a car and public transportation sucks. Your results may vary.

It shouldn't turn you off if you don't live alone

It shouldn't turn you off if you don't live alone

If I were to have a roommate(s), it would still turn me off.

It may not turn you off. It does turn me off.

I dated a woman in my youth who made it abundantly clear that she didn't drive further than 15 miles from her house. The first time I had to go pick her up, take her to my house, drive her back home and then head back to mine in the same day I ended it. Dependency is not attractive to some people.

• Like 1
  • Author
If I were to have a roommate(s), it would still turn me off.

It may not turn you off. It does turn me off.

I dated a woman in my youth who made it abundantly clear that she didn't drive further than 15 miles from her house. The first time I had to go pick her up, take her to my house, drive her back home and then head back to mine in the same day I ended it. Dependency is not attractive to some people.

But you are lacking something which you don't seem to understand

BlametheIrish
Dependency is not attractive to some people.

I agree.

Unless the guy is legally blind I'm not dating a guy who can't drive.

Why don't you.drive OP?

• Like 1

Depends

I don't expect a mature male to lack certain things...an education, job, a car, his own place, savings, a healthy lifestyle.

The exception on a few of those would be if he was a student. Otherwise, any male over 25 is hopefully responsible and established in his life. Perhaps no car if he lived in certain large urban centres.

• Author
I agree.

Why don't you.drive OP?

Multiple layoffs depleted savings

• Author
Depends

I don't expect a mature male to lack certain things...an education, job, a car, his own place, savings, a healthy lifestyle.

The exception on a few of those would be if he was a student. Otherwise, any male over 25 is hopefully responsible and established in his life. Perhaps no car if he lived in certain large urban centres.

you do know things happen to people in life out of their control right?

• Like 1
BlametheIrish
Multiple layoffs depleted savings

So you do have your license? If you've got a license and have zero issues with driving. I would take less issue with the no car thing as long as you we're working towards one. It's still no fun to be the one driving all the time.

you do know things happen to people in life out of their control right?

Your point? Lots of things happen to many good people. It doesn't mean I want to date them. Stephen Hawking might be a great guy...I need a healthy, active male. The uneducated guy who flips burgers might have a wonderful personality, I need a guy who is interested in the arts and sciences.

Dating is not an equal opportunity activity. Not about being 'fair'. We are not robots that mate with any member of the opposite sex.

If you do not drive or have a car then it is a red flag for many women. Firstly they wonder 'why'? Then, if some valid reason they might just not want their life restricted by that limitation.

Edited by Eau Claire
  • Like 1
  • Author
So you do have your license? If you've got a license and have zero issues with driving. I would take less issue with the no car thing as long as you we're working towards one. It's still no fun to be the one driving all the time.

of course I'm working towards. And she would be working towards her own place

I agree.

It depends somewhat upon where you live, though. I do drive and I love to drive. In an area where almost no one around me owns a car, I have two. If I was to rule out all of the women around me who don't own a car then I would likely not find many dates. The same could be said for women ruling out men without a car. It just kind of depends on where you live. In an urban area where a car isn't required and could honestly be considered a hassle, owning one isn't all that common.

• Like 1
  • Author
Your point? Lots of things happen to many good people. It doesn't mean I want to date them. Stephen Hawking might be a great guy...I need a healthy, active male. The uneducated guy who flips burgers might have a wonderful personality, I need a guy who is interested in the arts and sciences.

Dating is not an equal opportunity activity. Not about being 'fair'. We are not robots that mate with any member of the opposite sex.

If you do not drive or have a car then it is a red flag for many women. Firstly they wonder 'why'? Then, if some valid reason they might just not want their life restricted by that limitation.

Look, the way things are now in 2014, I am happy to be able to pay the rent and eat everyday.

My days of trying to please a female because she has something between her legs are over. People are losing jobs everyday and you talking about a car? And if you do have a car how long can you maintain it without a job? UC is really only for rent, food, and bills

I'm a girl who doesn't drive. No car, no license, but I live in an urban area and can get anywhere on public transport.

"Living with parents or relatives" - so no girls living on their own or in roommate situations?

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm a girl who doesn't drive. No car, no license, but I live in an urban area and can get anywhere on public transport.

"Living with parents or relatives" - so no girls living on their own or in roommate situations?

I don't want to visit any women who lives with roommates or relatives which is why it works best since I have my own place

I'm with you! If you live somewhere that having a car is important, you should probably have one. It sounds like neither of us do, and while I do have cars, I would never worry about dating someone who didn't because in this area having a car is not the norm. In fact, when I am in a serious relationship I often loan my extra car to my girlfriend, assuming she even has a license and wants to drive.

• Like 1
BlametheIrish
It depends somewhat upon where you live, though. I do drive and I love to drive. In an area where almost no one around me owns a car, I have two. If I was to rule out all of the women around me who don't own a car then I would likely not find many dates. The same could be said for women ruling out men without a car. It just kind of depends on where you live. In an urban area where a car isn't required and could honestly be considered a hassle, owning one isn't all that common.

I hear you. I'm in the second largest city in my state and not owning a car would be an issue here for r woman. But in NYC it's much more common to not need a car.

• Like 2
I hear you. I'm in the second largest city in my state and not owning a car would be an issue here for r woman. But in NYC it's much more common to not need a car.

It's a mix here, but certainly where I live in the inner city it's not common to own a car. That's probably unusual for the US though. I just grew up with cars and love them, so I budget to own them.

I don't want to visit any women who lives with roommates or relatives which is why it works best since I have my own place

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. You said you want to meet women who live with their parents or relatives, because you live on your own and they can come to your place.

But if a woman lives on her own or with roommates, she can still come to your place, because you live on your own. Please explain...

• Like 1
  • Author

I guess life experiences has just made me not care to impress women with materialistic things

To me it's better to live alone and building up savings/credit instead of living at home with my mom

And I try not to get caught up in having cars because if a freak accident happens and I get injured and lose my job then what? So I am a Big picture guy

I'm with you! If you live somewhere that having a car is important, you should probably have one. It sounds like neither of us do, and while I do have cars, I would never worry about dating someone who didn't because in this area having a car is not the norm. In fact, when I am in a serious relationship I often loan my extra car to my girlfriend, assuming she even has a license and wants to drive.

A car would be too expensive for me to run. Public transport is way cheaper and I've travelled on it at all hours of the night with problems. The only time I've ever wished for a car is when i go the gardening store, because i can't everything i want home!

• Author
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. You said you want to meet women who live with their parents or relatives, because you live on your own and they can come to your place.

But if a woman lives on her own or with roommates, she can still come to your place, because you live on your own. Please explain...

If a woman does not live alone I don't want to visit her. I don't care about if she lives with roommates it still =not living alone

Same way it would be for me if I lived with a friend I still don't live alone even though I am on my own.

• Author
A car would be too expensive for me to run. Public transport is way cheaper and I've travelled on it at all hours of the night with problems. The only time I've ever wished for a car is when i go the gardening store, because i can't everything i want home!

And it would be even more expensive if there is no job to maintain it. It's a reason why lots of people drive and don't live alone

Haha! If we happen to live in the same city, maybe you could borrow my Jeep to take to the garden store :)

For what it's worth, I have two cars that mostly spend their life in the garage and between the two of them do around 5,000 miles per year. Most of the time I either bike or take public transportation. Honestly, I don't have a good reason to own any powered vehicle but I grew up in a car family (my Dad raced cars) and I love them, so I keep them.

• Like 1