matching tattoos

devilish innocent

This couple I know is in their early 20s and has been together for six months. They just got matching tattoos. Why would they do this? Do they believe they're ready to commit to spending the rest of their lives together? Do they just not care that they're likely to end up with a tattoo that reminds them of an ex for the rest of their lives?

Well, if the tattoos don't actually mention names, dates or personal details, in the long run it doesn't matter... non-descript tat's form no ties.

If however, they are tattoos with personal significance and details - then the tattooist is a jerk.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've been married 20yrs and still not putting a name on me unless it is a memorial! Anything can happen!

• Like 1

The little brother of a friend of mine tattooed his wife's name in big bold letters on his back.

They're divorced now. :eek:

acrosstheuniverse

It's ridiculous but people who are that foolish kinda deserve what they get, I think. My best friend's housemate has been in a relationship with a guy for three or four months now, he was with his ex when he met her and cheated on the ex with her (who he was living with), started dating his new gf while still living with the ex so basically started spending every night with her, doesn't drive so the new gf was driving him across town every morning for work like a taxi... they got matching tattoos after one week, and have just got another pair. The first was a lock and a key on each of their HANDS and then the second is two halves of a cracked egg on each of their palms!

It just beggars belief. I do not understand. I wouldn't have gotten matching tattoos with a guy even after four years. Nothing is forever. After a week, with a cheat? Wow...

I have had a few friends get matching tattoos. I don't think any of those couples are together now. Not something I would do. The guy who does my tattoos will not do couple tattoos, apparently he did a few the relationship didn't last and they get mad at the tattoo artist

I have had a few friends get matching tattoos. I don't think any of those couples are together now. Not something I would do. The guy who does my tattoos will not do couple tattoos, apparently he did a few the relationship didn't last and they get mad at the tattoo artist

I don't blame them.

He was an idiot.

My tattooist has always refused to do them, on that very basis: Tat's are more permanent.

acrosstheuniverse

I disagree, actually. People who get inked know it's permanent: it is an attempt at absolving personal responsibility to go crying to the tattooist afterwards. Own your mistakes, people!

A tattooist's job should be to carry out the work their client wants done, whatever it is, as long as it isn't blatantly offensive (racist stuff, etc). It shouldn't be their place to make judgment calls on something like matching tattoos.

• Like 1

I have tattoos, I love them. I plan on getting more.

With that said, I would NEVER get any sort of matching tattoo, name tattoo, or symbol on me. The most I would get representing a person is something for a relative or close friend in memory of them.

When I get my tattoos I get them for ME and ME only. I personally do not believe getting matching tattoos with lovers or friends because A) relationships, as much as we like to romanticize them, can be fleeting and B) I use my skin as a canvas to my inner thoughts and interests, no one else's including my friends'.

As cliche as it is, to me tattoos are very individual, to share one is to take that meaning away. If others feel obliged, it is their body and their choice. I won't judge their decision so long as they are able to live with it if something with their friend/partner were to fall through.

I'd never do it personally. If I have a strong bond with someone I show it through my actions and emotions.

I don't blame them.

He was an idiot.

My tattooist has always refused to do them, on that very basis: Tat's are more permanent.

I'm going to agree with AtU here. Anyone willing to go through with such a tattoo idea deserves to live with the repercussions. Those getting tattooed are adults and should know better, if they don't it is their fault. It's common sense.

The tattoo artist is paid by the client to meet client demands. "The customer is always right" after all, especially with something so personal. If the client is unhappy with the actual art or hygiene it is one thing, but if they don't like the tattoo because of what it is? Well, tough titties. They weren't forced unwillingly and knew they'd have it forever.

haribogumsnickers

Young love = stupid but still love nonetheless. I'm that idiot paying to ink myself for someone I love...love doesn't have an expiration.

I'll just make sure the tat is on my back so I can't see it if we break up.

I'm going to agree with AtU here. Anyone willing to go through with such a tattoo idea deserves to live with the repercussions. Those getting tattooed are adults and should know better, if they don't it is their fault. It's common sense.

The tattoo artist is paid by the client to meet client demands. "The customer is always right" after all, especially with something so personal. If the client is unhappy with the actual art or hygiene it is one thing, but if they don't like the tattoo because of what it is? Well, tough titties. They weren't forced unwillingly and knew they'd have it forever.

No, the customer isn't always right - and a responsible tattooist is making sure HE doesn't get it in the neck from some idiot's mother, when said idiot asks for such a crazy thing to be done.

A tattooist doesn't have to do any work he doesn't want to do.

A client can insist all he likes - if the artist says no - it's no.

The client has the option of taking his business - and idiocy - elsewhere.

acrosstheuniverse
No, the customer isn't always right - and a responsible tattooist is making sure HE doesn't get it in the neck from some idiot's mother, when said idiot asks for such a crazy thing to be done.

A tattooist doesn't have to do any work he doesn't want to do.

A client can insist all he likes - if the artist says no - it's no.

The client has the option of taking his business - and idiocy - elsewhere.

As long as the client is above 18, any self-respecting tattooist would laugh their mother out of the shop if they turned up angry because a perfectly legal transaction took place. If the client is under 18 then that's another matter of course.

you have a point, of course....

I sat in the tattooist's chair when an irate mother came in to give him a hard time.

First of all, it wasn't even the right tattooist. :rolleyes::D

secondly, it transpired the guy was 28. :laugh:

Crazy mothers huh.....?

Candy_Pants

I know several tattoo artists. They all refuse to do work they don't like based on their own set of standards. Oh well.

My husband and I have similar tattoos. Same colors and style but different images and script. We got them together and "for eachother", but unless we told you, you'd never know.

OTOH, I have many tattoos done by an ex that obviously remind me of him. But not in any nostalgic way.

This couple I know is in their early 20s and has been together for six months. They just got matching tattoos. Why would they do this? Do they believe they're ready to commit to spending the rest of their lives together? Do they just not care that they're likely to end up with a tattoo that reminds them of an ex for the rest of their lives?

Why do you care?

• Like 1