Am I being unreasonable with my expectations?

So I know this guy and we are friends, and things are pretty good between us. He's cautious about girls after his last relationship nearly destroyed him and his friend tells me he's done chasing girls, he just waits for something to happen. So I'm not expecting vigorous pursuing.

We go to the same church and that's how we met. He'll say hi if we are passing each other and he'll stop and talk if i do, but yesterday I was talking in a group with two other girls and he came over from across the room and lingered near me, walked past a few times but no hello. I don't know if he was waiting for me to look at him and acknowledge him, or go and talk to him since he'd walked over to my side of the room. I thought he liked me but after that I'm not convinced.

why would he just hang around? I usually go and start a conversation, so is he just waiting for that? I don't know what I was expecting since I didn't even look at him though I knew he was around. I think I was expecting him to get my attention in some way. Is it stupid of me to think he'd butt into a conversation to say hello to me or tap me on the shoulder when I didn't even make eye contact?

Seems as though you expected him to interrupt you, although you weren't prepared to do so yourself to acknowledge him.

It's a two-way street. Perhaps he felt shy, on his own and you with others.

Is it stupid of me to think he'd butt into a conversation to say hello to me or tap me on the shoulder when I didn't even make eye contact?

Yes. I think he probably expected you to acknowledge him and invite him into the conversation, or at least make eye contact.

Yes, it is unreasonable for you to expect him to break into a conversation if you didn't even make eye contact with him. Unless he was telling all of you that the building was on fire, it would have been rude of him to have interrupted without even a non-spoken invitation (the eye contact).