Head of Household

The online dating site OK Cupid has a "Question" that asks if men should be the "Head of Household." Many women answer "Yes" to this question. What does "Head of Household" mean or imply?

• Author

The IRS has a financial interpretation of "Head of Household." Probably different though than "Head of Household" status in a relationship/marriage.

Maybe it has to do with these women wanting their men fixing things at home or cars' maintenance (even if it means just having a pro called in)?

Or maybe "Head of Household" also includes disciplining the kids?

Christian (usually Protestant) term for male dominance in the home. Head of the household is the clear indicator of who makes final decisions in the relationship, about the finances, about children and about anything outside of cooking, cleaning and babysitting. They are trying to gauge how traditional you are in Judeo-Christian teachings and values.

Best,

Grumps

Head of household basically means the person that is the most dominant in the unit. It's basically the equivalent to the Alpha male in a pack. But with humans and many other species (i.e marine life, many insects) the female is the head of the pack.

My grandma, for example, when we were young, was the head of the household even though my father was there (and he is alpha as ****).

It's not something that is a conscious decision, it just kind of happens.