I love my "girl"friend, but "guy"friend in way

Alright listen up: My "female" friend and I have known each other for about 3 years, and we are very very close. I care alot about her, and her for me. We're starting to fall in love and I think the relationship will be great. Ah but heres where it gets interesting.

My best friend (male) welp thats his ex, and he is very obsessive with her, and a prick to her majorly, always making her feel bad and stuff. Always tries to pull those guilt trips and stuff, welp she dosent care about him anymore, she loves me. But before I can start dating her, I gotta tell him.......I'm going to lose a friend in this, what should I do? (note they broke up a very long time ago)

I want this girl really bad, I got a feeling this will be a very long lasting relationship we both know each other better than anybody. Maybe even to marriage, seriously....But my best friend stands in the way, and alot of my daily life is around him. I feel guilty so I can't do anything with him anymore, Im sure he knows something is up.

Advise me people.

You'll likely have to cope with the fact that you're sacrificing your friend, which is precisely what you're doing.

Don't play the noble rescuer, nor the victimized martyr. Make it clear to your friend that you are interested in a romantic relationship with this girl. Tell him that you like her in a different way, and find out if it bothers him. If it does, make it clear that this is the end of the friendship, on best terms possible. The fact that your girl-friend doesn't mourn the loss of him means the hard part is nonexistent.

• Author

My decision will really affect everything, its really a choice between our happiness and well his....but I never have lived for others and I don't plan to. I will make my stand in due, more than likely when school is over so I don't have to worry about social disorder, or more stress on her, because he would be very jealous and angry.

Thank you for your advice, I will lose a friend in this. But I will keep my best friend and have a girlfriend at the same time. Because if I had to choose between my best "girl"friend or my best "guy"friend I would of chose the girl because she is more understanding, and knows more about me. So I can only figure that this is all going to work out, just got to go through some hell.