Should unattractive people have children?

I know when a topic like this is brought up, it's usually by a troll as a joke, but this is semi-serious.

If you are person who has been unable to attract anybody and you have suffered because of it, would you want to bring somebody into this world who you love and care for and see them go through the same thing?

It's definitely something that has crossed my mind.

I think I'm attractive some of the time, as do others who are unable to really physically attract anybody I'm sure, and I have learned to be less shallow and enjoy other areas of my life and deal with rejection, use my charisma and persevere. But that doesn't mean I want to put my son at that disadvantage.

I used to watch the show Little People Big World, and the two dwarf parents had four natural kids knowing full well each child had a 50% chance of becoming a dwarf (one did). Why would expose someone you love to the extreme prejudices of this shallow world knowing how bad it was yourself?

I don't think I would have done that if I was them...

Edited by jobaba

If you are person who has been unable to attract anybody and you have suffered because of it, would you want to bring somebody into this world who you love and care for and see them go through the same thing?

I would never want a kid of mine to go through what I went through in school...

Why would expose someone you love to the extreme prejudices of this shallow world knowing how bad it was yourself?

If he didn't have to come out Asian, he might have a fighting chance. Maybe adoption is the better route. :rolleyes:

hm how about spaying those women by the law?

(I am being sarcastic because I think it's such a stupid subject for people to fight here)

• Author
I would never want a kid of mine to go through what I went through in school...

If he didn't have to come out Asian, he might have a fighting chance. Maybe adoption is the better route. :rolleyes:

Well homie ...

We always have the option of marrying tall(er) average looking white women and coming out with gorgeous mixed kids. :lmao:

I guess that's an option...

Well homie ...

We always have the option of marrying tall(er) average looking white women and coming out with gorgeous mixed kids. :lmao:

I guess that's an option...

Hahah, yes, hybrids...

I thought this was a joke thread until I opened. Needless to say I was shocked to see intelligent people discussing this.

It is a sad day for our society when people think a person's worth can be summed up by their physical appearance.

Lets say I am unattractive physically, but I am bright, a good person and a productive member of society. My intelligence allows me to perform tasks that the average human can't. Should those genes be lost because society says I am unattractive?

Just because you had a hard life doesn't mean your children will and just because you had a hard time earlier in life doesn't mean it can't change for the better.

Have you ever read what happened to Oprah as a child? Not too many people have had tougher start than her. Would anybody here say she wasn't able to overcome that to become a hugely positive member of society?

• Like 6
miss_jaclynrae

I have a better idea.

Required plastic surgery for ugly children.

BOOM! Problem solved.

Well if men and women continue to set unrealistic standards for each other, the unattractive people will be forced into celibacy because, as we know, they won't have sex with each other, they don't want to have sex with ugly people.

Because of this, they won't be able to procreate, thus bringing them to the brink of extinction, with no hope of a new generation of ugly offspring.

We can speed this process up by rounding up the remaining unattractive people, transporting them to an island, and then bomb said island, but that might be a tad bit inhumane. We should just wait for them to die out.

• Like 1

I'd feel really bad if I ended up having a short son(s.) It would be horrible to pass down my height genes.

Anybody who seriously believes ugly people shouldn't have children, shows a level of intelligence far too inferior for them to consider having kids themselves.

WTF...?!

• Like 3
Anybody who seriously believes ugly people shouldn't have children, shows a level of intelligence far too inferior for them to consider having kids themselves.

WTF...?!

Sounds like something an ugly person would say.

• Like 2

I don't consider myself ugly at all, and I give a rat's @ss what other people think I look like.

"Ugliness" is objective and skin deep.

To me, ugly people are those with deep-seated, irrational mean and cruel prejudices.

Doesn't matter how body beautiful they might be - their minds make them ugly.

• Like 2
I don't consider myself ugly at all, and I give a rat's @ss what other people think I look like.

"Ugliness" is objective and skin deep.

To me, ugly people are those with deep-seated, irrational mean and cruel prejudices.

Tara relax lol. I was being a silly boy :p

Oh.

Ok.

My bad.....sorry.

:o

(but I still think ugly minds are more dangerous....) :D

"Ugliness" is objective

You mean subjective...? If it were objective, then there could be no variation in opinion...

...and skin deep.

A bit of a contradictory set of statements...? Is ugliness skin deep or deep-seated...?

I don't think I would have done that if I was them...

But you're not one of them, so your view of life, the world, everything is not theirs, so you can't know what you would do in their circumstances.

miss_jaclynrae

Who gets to vote who is unattractive?

Or is this more like a tag event? Where if someone calls you ugly you automatically become infertile?

Lets hear the rules here...

Then I will decide if I want to play. :D

Okay, I'm going to weigh in here. As I said before, I was teased all throughout school on a regular basis and where I live. For the most part, I was in gifted classes and the kids did not bother me. But things like gym, lunch time, music, and just walking through the halls...every day I was embarassed and humiliated. Then I would go into the city and men would throw themselves at my feet. I practically had to beat them off with a stick. Then the next day I would go to school and be tortured again.

It was terrible, and you know I would think about how I would feel if I was pregnant and teased. I think the pain would just be too much for me to be teased for my looks when I had a baby inside me. But I never got pregnant so I never had to deal with that.

I respect the OP's topic and it is something to discuss. Kudos for bringing this up in a sensitive manner.

If people made fun of my child and called my child the same names I was called, it would be most difficult to deal with. I wouldn't know what to do. But I don't see that as holding me back. The first time I thought I was pregnant, I thought my life was over. I was not pregnant. The second time I thought I was pregant, I really thought about keeping it. I was not pregnant.

What I think I would do is put some safeguards in my child's upbringing if I had a child. I would emphasize to my child that he or she is a good person. I would teach my child to be proud. But most importantly I would give my child tools so he or she could stand up for themselves. I would have my child take martial arts classes when young, throughout school years. So if people said mean things to my child, he or she could feel comfortable saying something back and not be afraid they were going to get their ass kicked. They would say it with words, but be ready to defend themselves should one of the bulliers become even more stupid.

Should unattractive people have children?

Clearly they are attractive to someone, else they wouldn't be able to have children, unless they run around at night stealing gametes from attractive people in their sleep.

• Like 3
miss_jaclynrae
Clearly they are attractive to someone, else they wouldn't be able to have children, unless they run around at night stealing gametes from attractive people in their sleep.

OMG. Pure genius... what you mentioned is already HAPPENING.

Mind trip, Darwinism at its finest. :confused:

You mean subjective...? If it were objective, then there could be no variation in opinion...

Don't lecture me on English grammar, sonny.

I know exactly what I meant.

I just didn't necessarily say it.

:p

(sorry, you're right, I DID mean 'subjective'....)

A bit of a contradictory set of statements...? Is ugliness skin deep or deep-seated...?

I think it's a question of interpretation... the word 'ugly' is also used to describe situations that become, for example, confrontational.

The connotation there, is that violent behaviour is 'ugly' so I'm using it in the sense of describing a state, rather than a visual projection.

Don't lecture me on English grammar, sonny.

I know exactly what I meant.

I just didn't necessarily say it.

:p

(sorry, you're right, I DID mean 'subjective'....)

I think it's a question of interpretation... the word 'ugly' is also used to describe situations that become, for example, confrontational.

The connotation there, is that violent behaviour is 'ugly' so I'm using it in the sense of describing a state, rather than a visual projection.

Heheh, alright. I hope you understand that I had to do it... :p

Good game. :laugh:

Heheh, alright. I hope you understand that I had to do it... :p

Good game. :laugh:

You have no idea of what comfort that is to me... I would have done the same!!

Originally Posted by MrSchicklgruber

The family of dwarves for example, did an unfair thing having children. If they wanted children so bad, they should've adopted. Passing on serious genetic illnesses knowingly is a sin against your offspring in my opinion and bad for society as a whole.

Oh yes, of course. This would have been by far the easiest and most practical option.

:rolleyes: