Just found out, I was cheated on.

I have been dating a guy for 2 1/2 years and I just found out that he cheated on me. He and I worked together, so our relationship was a secret. I had this weird feeling so I went through his phone and found messages from a girl that we both worked with, talking about the two of them having sex where we worked. I was hurt beyond belief. He and I hadn't had sex in about two months and the affair with he and the other girl was just sex. The other woman was also married. Part of me wants to forgive him and part of me doesn't know if I can. I am 27 and he is a little older 36. I never thought that he would do this to me, it is so out of his character.

Sorry if this isn't worded right, this is the first time I have written in something like this and I am very upset right now.

So I am wondering, do I forgive him or not?? He says he wants to make it work but I am not sure.

Edited by Blondie13
Add something

Sorry that happened to you. That's no fun!!

We all have our own codes regarding cheating. Why don't you take a second to think about it? Perhaps you could tell your boyfriend that you need a week or two to reflect on the situation? Not a breakup but a timeout. Once your fight or flight reflex calms down, the answer might become apparent.

It's easy for others to say that they'd be able to walk away from a cheater, but that's often not what people actually do. Relationships are complex, and lots of unexpected crises come up. However, it seems particularly concerning that you felt the need to go through his phone. Could there be other cheating episodes? Do you trust him?

• Like 2
  • Author

Hi Oldschool1,

I did trust him. He had been acting weird with his phone the last few weeks, and I noticed that he had changed the password on his phone a few times. So that's what made me curious, if he was hiding something or not.

You are right, most people are saying leave but it isn't that easy. Also, the relationship was rocky we werent having sex and basically acting like friends. I know that's not an excuse for cheating and so does he, but it was a contributor.

We both know the communication needs to get better and we are working on that, I also told him that I want access to anything any time I want and he has agreed to that.

Thank you for your words :)

Two and a half years and you kept the relationship a secret?

What did you expect to happen? If you can't even tell people about your relationship, it's obviously not important enough to remain faithful for.

my bf and i also work together and have kept it secret for over a year because i am his manager, i'm 37 and he's 47, so i understand why you did that and keeping it secret is out of necessity and doesn't reflect on the relationship strength or not. but the cheating does. men cheat (generally) because they are missing something from the current relationship. they have opportunities all the time, so why do they take some and not others? i'd say that the other woman might have offered him more emotional or sexual fulfillment, listened to him, desired him/made him feel special, or just treated him a way you're not, or haven't been. in a 2+ year relationship you're bound to stop doing all the nice things you were at the start. so, although cheating is not ok, ask yourself why he did it - take time to assess the relationship and see if your attitude played a role - maybe you're not as invested in him as you think. the downside is ... can you ever really trust this person again? once trust is broken it's near to impossible to get it back. you'll always find yourself suspicious and questioning. plus, you're in a predicament because how it ends will undoubtably affect your working relationship. imo i wouldn't get back together; cheating is not something you can get over quickly and move on from - you need time and you should ask for that, and he should willingly give it

• Like 1
whichwayisup

End it. This guy has cheated on you, with a coworker who is married.

You deserve better and this guy is NOT long term relationship material, let alone husband material.

Sorry for your pain.

• Like 1
whichwayisup
We had to, we worked together and he was my manager.

this is going to be a really messy situation.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks everyone. He ended up Quitting and so did she. The relationship had changed over 2 1/2 years, we werent having sex and that is not a reason or an excuse to cheat but that's why he did it. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get the image of the two of them out of my head :(

Negative Nancy
Part of me wants to forgive him and part of me doesn't know if I can.

Do not forgive him, once a cheater always a cheater. You will never get the images out of your head and everytime he has to "work late" (even if it's true) it will make you questioning him again. Give him his walking papers and wish him good luck with his affair, he made his bed now he should lay in it.

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers

Tell her husband if you can too.

Nobody deserves that ****.

Sorry, I know this really sucks.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hi dreamingoftigers,

I actually did tell her husband and then he threatened to kill me. Not a real stable bunch.

dreamingoftigers
Hi dreamingoftigers,

I actually did tell her husband and then he threatened to kill me. Not a real stable bunch.

Yeah, pack of stupid it seems.....

Glad you seem to be getting through it okay and realizing it wasn't okay for him to do at all.