Why Do Girls Look Down on Guys That Live With Their Parents Around the Ages of 22-27?

HallowedBeThyName

Nowadays, with how the economy is and the rising tuition costs, it really makes no sense at all to move out until you're financially stable

The average person leaving college nowadays has 30-50 grand in student loans. Most of them are probably spending what?? 400-500 dollars a month on that alone? Not to mention many of them have cars that they are still paying off, insurance, cell phone bills, etc... etc... The cost of a decent apartment is what? a 1000 dollars nowadays?

Most people leaving college simply cannot afford to live on their own on their 35-50 grand salary without continuing to pile up their debt. It makes no sense to move out until your student loans are payed off, your credit card debt is payed off, you have some money saved up for emergencies and you're making closer to 50-70+ grand at least. Not to mention apartments make no sense in general, this is a great time to buy a house and you're better off saving up 20-30 grand for a house downpayment

A person living at home at a younger age is not a sign of not growing up. It's a sign of somebody who is smart with his money. I swear, it seems like women sometimes would rather date a man with a flashy car and nice apartment that's 50 grand in debt than a person living within his means saving up money to get a house at a reasonably young age

I don't see what the problem is....I think it's acceptable to be living with your parents "post-college"

Most post college people wind up moving back in with their parents and it's not uncommon. I mean come on, all that money spent on tuition, give 'em a break.

GO to college for 4 years, graduate....move back home, and get to job hunting. That's pretty much how it goes. Now if you're in your 30's, I can see how women would have a problem with that.

• Like 1
  • Author
HallowedBeThyName
I don't see what the problem is....I think it's acceptable to be living with your parents "post-college"

Most post college people wind up moving back in with their parents and it's not uncommon. I mean come on, all that money spent on tuition, give 'em a break.

GO to college for 4 years, graduate....move back home, and get to job hunting. That's pretty much how it goes. Now if you're in your 30's, I can see how women would have a problem with that.

Ya but I've seen comments about girls who were turned off because a 25 or 26 year old man was still living at home

If you're in your 30s I agree that's a problem. To be honest, you shouldn't be living at home past even 27-28

I moved out when I was 17 and never lived at home again.

I made less than 35K many years and less than 50K almost always (except now and one exceptionally good year in advertising not long after college -- when I was teaching, I never made that much!) and paid all my bills. I did have roommates until living with Hubby, except when I lived/worked abroad and an apartment was provided for me.

So, while I wouldn't "look down" on someone for living at home and know many people who do, I certainly wasn't interested in dating someone who was long-term living at home (maybe if he'd just moved back to the area and was looking for a place or something) when I was dating -- and I'm only 27 now -- because we wouldn't have the same style. I'm very independent, lived all over the world, always supported myself, etc, etc. You can do it if it's a priority. You can also bank money by living at home, if that's a priority. It wouldn't be mine. I'd rather save in other ways or work extra if I had to.

I also think anyone who's out of work shouldn't be starting new relationships. Moving for work may be necessary, and that'd be heartache, and it's just not a good headspace to start something serious. That's my experience with being out of work and seeing people who are.

• Like 1

I always joke with my friends that if I were a guy I would be 110% undate-able in the eyes of a women. 1. Bc I live with my parents and 2. bc I lost my job in Feb.

I do agree that in these hard times, it's not unusual to live at home and I try not to judge guys situations.

ThaWholigan

I'd like to see more responses to this thread before I post my thoughts on this.....

Ruby Slippers

For me, an adult guy living with his parents is a big turn-off, mainly because I've been independent, living on my own (or with roommates during college), and supporting myself since I was 17, and want a guy who's also independent and supporting himself. If a guy is still living with his parents past high school, we are simply at different developmental stages mentally, financially, and practically.

Most of my friends also moved out and began supporting themselves after high school, so it's not that I'm particularly special - just that I'm fairly independent and get along best with others who are, too.

• Author
HallowedBeThyName
I moved out when I was 17 and never lived at home again.

I made less than 35K many years and less than 50K almost always (except now and one exceptionally good year in advertising not long after college -- when I was teaching, I never made that much!) and paid all my bills. I did have roommates until living with Hubby, except when I lived/worked abroad and an apartment was provided for me.

So, while I wouldn't "look down" on someone for living at home and know many people who do, I certainly wasn't interested in dating someone who was long-term living at home (maybe if he'd just moved back to the area and was looking for a place or something) when I was dating -- and I'm only 27 now -- because we wouldn't have the same style. I'm very independent, lived all over the world, always supported myself, etc, etc. You can do it if it's a priority. You can also bank money by living at home, if that's a priority. It wouldn't be mine. I'd rather save in other ways or work extra if I had to.

I also think anyone who's out of work shouldn't be starting new relationships. Moving for work may be necessary, and that'd be heartache, and it's just not a good headspace to start something serious. That's my experience with being out of work and seeing people who are.

You really can't bank money though and be debt free living in an apartment with the rising costs of tuition. I mean my god, I know people with 50-60 grand in student loans. How in the world are they gonna get an apartment, pay off their student loans and not get drowned in debt?

Your comments also don't make much sense to me in terms of somebody's lifestyle being different because they live at home. How does living with your parents until you're financially stable make you less independent? It's not like your parents are supporting you or you're mooching off them.

Furthermore, apartments are a godawful waste of money. You've probably wasted over 80 or 90 grand living in apartments. By your age, you could have had a house by now, been completely debt free and even have a good amount of money saved up in case of an emergency

You're letting societal brainwashing that somebody living at home in ther mid 20s means they are less hard working or less independent over what is smart finances/smart living.

• Author
HallowedBeThyName
For me, an adult guy living with his parents is a big turn-off, mainly because I've been independent, living on my own (or with roommates during college), and supporting myself since I was 17, and want a guy who's also independent and supporting himself. If a guy is still living with his parents past high school, we are simply at different developmental stages mentally, financially, and practically.

Most of my friends also moved out and began supporting themselves after high school, so it's not that I'm particularly special - just that I'm fairly independent and get along best with others who are, too.

This has to be a joke right? A man living at home past HIGH SCHOOL means that he's somehow lesser of a man? :laugh::laugh:

I'll talk to you when we're both 30 years old, I have a $ 500,000 house, no debt, 50 grand in savings and you're still living paycheck to paycheck burning 15-20 grand a year for an apartment

• Like 1
udolipixie

Some gals look down on 22-27 aged guys that live with their parents as they expect guys of that age range to be financially stable enough to live on their own.

Some gals may look down on guys because a guy in that age range living with his parents isn't the norm and they look down on those out of the norm.

I disagree that a person living at home at a younger age isn't a sing of not growing up but a sign of somebody who is smart with his money. Whether it's a sign of not growing up or smart with their money is a toss up depending on the person. I haven't lived at home since I was 18 and I'm considered smart with my money.

To me looking down on a guy who lives with his parents doesn't necessarily mean gals would rather date a guy with a flash car and such as there's a middle ground. Also going by your mindset of most college graduates are in 30-50 grand debt wouldn't the person living at home along be in debt as well? :p

I lived at home and paid rent to my parents until I bought my first house at 25. I later bought another one at 28, the one I live in today, and my first home became my first rental property. I thank my parents for both the opportunity and the wisdom they provided, god rest both their souls. If any women looked down upon me, then or now, that's on them. They have their path.

• Like 4
  • Author
HallowedBeThyName
Some gals look down on 22-27 aged guys that live with their parents as they expect guys of that age range to be financially stable enough to live on their own.

In all honesty, I'm probably going to make 60-70 grand right out of high school. I'm a great salesman and I have very well of friends who are gonna give me a good sales job

Could I afford to live on my own? absolutely. Do I want to burn 20 grand a year on an apartment when I can use that to pay off my remaining student loans and then start saving up for my first house at the age of 26 or 27? Absolutely not. My goal is to spend the first year paying off debt, then 2 years saving up 50-60 grand for a house and then getting a house at around 26 years of age

Live is a marathon, not a sprint. To me it's a much bigger sign that you're a loser when you're 28-30 and living at an apartment instead of having a nice house.

• Like 1
udolipixie
How does living with your parents until you're financially stable make you less independent? It's not like your parents are supporting you or you're mooching off them.

Unless the person is contributing manual labor or financial support it may be considered that parents are supporting the person or the person is mooching off their parents.

Though one could question if the person is paying bills or a bill why not pay for their own place if the amount is relative to having an apartment.

• Author
HallowedBeThyName

Unless the person is contributing manual labor or financial support it may be considered that parents are supporting the person or the person is mooching off their parents.

Though one could question if the person is paying bills or a bill why not pay for their own place if the amount is relative to having an apartment.

I do everything around the house. Pretty much all the manual labor like mowing the lawn and yard-work. On top of that, I love my parents and enjoy spending time with them

I just feel irritated as hell when people act like my approach to life means I'm less developed or less independent than guys who make 40 grand a year, live an apartment and are piling up the debt

I'm 30 and when I moved back home I thought I would never get a date again and to my surprise I have yet to be turned down for living at home. I was up front about it. Their ages were 25,27,31.

That being said I will graduate college next year so I guess that's what helps it out a little. Better late then never!!!

• Like 1
I'm a great salesman and I have very well of friends who are gonna give me a good sales job

GIVE you a job...must be nice, but some of us aren't as forturnate as to have a buddy for you.

You have more than two choices - live in an apartment you can't afford or live with your parents. You can share a house or apartment with others in the same situation. That's a good way to learn to take care of yourself and to learn to live with someone else. That's what I did.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers
This has to be a joke right? A man living at home past HIGH SCHOOL means that he's somehow lesser of a man? :laugh::laugh:

I'll talk to you when we're both 30 years old, I have a $ 500,000 house, no debt, 50 grand in savings and you're still living paycheck to paycheck burning 15-20 grand a year for an apartment

I didn't say he's a lesser man - just at a different life stage than I am. In my experience, the most unattractive quality of adult men living at home is that they are too enmeshed with their parents - usually their mothers, but sometimes dads, too.

I'm frugal and have very modest expenses, can deduct a portion of my rent and utilities from my taxes because I own my own business and have a home office, and have a serious investment offer for which my business partner and I are now writing up a business plan. So, it looks like my independence and strong work ethic since a young age are paying off. I didn't need to live with my parents into my 20s to get to this stage. And, like I said, most of my friends and the guys I've dated seriously have similar circumstances.

Why not date adult women who live with their parents, too? I'm sure they can relate to you much better.

• Author
HallowedBeThyName
GIVE you a job...must be nice, but some of us aren't as forturnate as to have a buddy for you.

I mean to say great job out of college, not high school obviously

And it's a "who you know world". Make some connections and meet people who will help you, what can I tell ya

I'm 29 and still at home. I know for me I stay because I help my parents out and paying for my sisters education. One is in school to be a teacher and one is working on being a nurse. Plus I am working on a goal of being a nurse practitioner.

A woman that wouldn't date me because of it is no one to worry about because she was never anyone I would want.

• Like 3

You're not even out of highschool and expect a job to be just GIVEN to you?

Too funny, must be nice to have friends that are so generous, some of us aren't so fortunate.

BUt hopefully it'll pan out for you.

In all honesty, I'm probably going to make 60-70 grand right out of high school. I'm a great salesman and I have very well of friends who are gonna give me a good sales job

Could I afford to live on my own? absolutely. Do I want to burn 20 grand a year on an apartment when I can use that to pay off my remaining student loans and then start saving up for my first house at the age of 26 or 27? Absolutely not. My goal is to spend the first year paying off debt, then 2 years saving up 50-60 grand for a house and then getting a house at around 26 years of age

Live is a marathon, not a sprint. To me it's a much bigger sign that you're a loser when you're 28-30 and living at an apartment instead of having a nice house.

Ah, out of college....Yeah, been there done that, mostly found myself in part time jobs and the like, did the networking thing....didn't get me anywhere than lower paying jobs, not the 50 to 60K a year jobs that were "promised" these so called graduates are supposedly being GIVEN to them.

That's a laugh.

I mean to say great job out of college, not high school obviously

And it's a "who you know world". Make some connections and meet people who will help you, what can I tell ya

• Author
HallowedBeThyName
You're not even out of highschool and expect a job to be just GIVEN to you?

Too funny, must be nice to have friends that are so generous, some of us aren't so fortunate.

BUt hopefully it'll pan out for you.

meant to say college, not high school

I didn't say he's a lesser man - just at a different life stage than I am. In my experience, the most unattractive quality of adult men living at home is that they are too enmeshed with their parents - usually their mothers, but sometimes dads, too.

I'm frugal and have very modest expenses, can deduct a portion of my rent and utilities from my taxes because I own my own business and have a home office, and have a serious investment offer for which my business partner and I are now writing up a business plan. So, it looks like my independence and strong work ethic since a young age are paying off. I didn't need to live with my parents into my 20s to get to this stage. And, like I said, most of my friends and the guys I've dated seriously have similar circumstances.

Why not date adult women who live with their parents, too? I'm sure they can relate to you much better.

Sorry, I just don't buy it

There's no inherent advantage to living at an apartment instead of living in my parent's nice big house where I have nothing to worry about. You're letting societal brainwashing overwhelm your logical thinking

Why in the world would I want to burn 15-20 grand year to live in a space that's a fraction of the house I'm currently living in?

Ruby Slippers
No chance of noisy sex at the folk's house. :laugh:

Another great point. Throughout my 20s, my long-term boyfriends and I either spent nights at each other's places frequently, or lived together. If we both lived at home, where would we have sex and luxuriate tangled up in the sheets? The car? I want a man who can take me to bed - not to his room. :laugh: