What do the guys think if a girl takes initiative?

soulinpain

This couple..a guy n a girl(both mature adults, both single, in 40s, well established in their jobs, same work place) like each other a lot, guy took a number of initiatives to express that to her(indirectly, thru actions, indirect comments)), girl recently started responding. So, he knows that she likes him back, too. Both have a good reputation at work.

Now, the girl, in an effort to convey something good to him, could not do that(being so shy), and it turns out that the guy misunderstood her, got offended and now has started ignoring her.She did try to explain again, but again a communication gap, as no direct words were used. Now,she is feeling miserable, not willing to lose him. The guy will be leaving in a week for an out of state assignment, for 2.5 months. She wants the ice to be broken before he leaves...else it will be killing for her.

PLEASE SUGGEST:If the girl approaches him, to have a direct conversation(which believe me, is extremely hard for her: she will have to swallow her pride and hesitation), what will the guy think about this?

The doubts that she has in her mind are:

1. What if he totally backs out and says I was never interested in you...you misunderstood!

2. What if he insults her and says what a wierdo u are! Take a grip of ur thoughts first!

3. What if he starts discussing this with other people at work(gossip) and that tarnishes her reputation at work?

I will really appreciate your response...please help. Thanks!