Girlfriend says "like" a lot...driving me crazy?

I know this seems shallow, but its starting to drive me crazy. We've been together or about 1.25 years. We are currently long distance and talk about an hour a night. She is 21 I am 26. I work really long hours right now so am not always around as much as I would like to be.

Anyway, my question is, that lately I've noticed certain things that are bothering me. She says like A LOT, to the point where I think it makes her sound not very smart. How do I approach this subject without hurting her feelings? She is a really nice girl, and I care about her, but it seems to be the only thing I hear sometimes. Am I being shallow?

Thoughts?

somedude81

It seems to be a speaking problem that many women have.

She can go to speech therapy and they will try to help her change her speech pattern of saying like.

How to break it to her? I have no idea.

xpaperxcutx

Not to sound sbias, but she's not a suntanning blonde chick, is she? I notice people articulate themselves better when they think before they speak.

• Author
Not to sound sbias, but she's not a suntanning blonde chick, is she? I notice people articulate themselves better when they think before they speak.

No she isn't at all, thats the thing.....Just a regular girl. She's not a fake, bar starring oompa loompa colored blond bombshell. She's cute don't get me wrong, but the like thing is driving me crazy. :S

Star Gazer

Holy hell, this is the WORST of verbal fillers!

I had a friend in law school who would use "like" all the effing time. For example, she'd be describing a conversation with a guy she had, and it would go a little like this:

"So, I'm like, how was your weekend, and he's all, it was cool, and so I'm like, do you wanna hangout this weekend? and he's like, maybe, and I'm like thinking, like, does he like me, or like, does he just wanna be, like, friends, or like, what? And so, I like, gave him this face, like, you know, to show, like, disappointment, and then he, like, just shrugged, and I'm liiiiiiiiikkkkkeeeeee [laughing]..."

She would literally end effing sentences with the word like, all extended out: liiiiiiikkkeeeee [giggle]

Ugh, drove me nuts. :rolleyes::mad: She's now partner at a big firm in my city. I often wonder if she addresses the court that way... :D

When he gets passionate about a conversation he's had with someone, the guy I'm dating now has a tendency to overuse "like" too. I actually pointed it out to him, and now I can see he's struggling to form sentences without using it too much. :o

You just noticed this? Maybe she'll grow out of it. Unless she truly is unintelligent, it might be best to overlook it. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

xpaperxcutx
No she isn't at all, thats the thing.....Just a regular girl. She's not a fake, bar starring oompa loompa colored blond bombshell. She's cute don't get me wrong, but the like thing is driving me crazy. :S

Okay, then it's really just a girl thing. I notice I also have this speech impairment when I talk too fast. Obviously, I'm sure you love her very much, but she'll get hurt either way you try to make her quit the " likes". You can minimize the hurt by being playful with her by bringing it up and hope she gets the hint. You can use a movie for example and point out how much you dislike the use of the word in the movie.

My ex-boyfriend used to say "like" a lot. I thought it was very unmanly of him to say it and it was really bothering me, so I just straight up asked him, "have you noticed that you say like a lot?" and I made a weird face at the same time.

Maybe you should try to play a game with her, let's see who can go the longest without saying like , the winner wins $10 or something. Haha

Edited by Miss M
I know this seems shallow, but its starting to drive me crazy. We've been together or about 1.25 years. We are currently long distance and talk about an hour a night. She is 21 I am 26. I work really long hours right now so am not always around as much as I would like to be.

Anyway, my question is, that lately I've noticed certain things that are bothering me. She says like A LOT, to the point where I think it makes her sound not very smart. How do I approach this subject without hurting her feelings? She is a really nice girl, and I care about her, but it seems to be the only thing I hear sometimes. Am I being shallow?

Thoughts?

That would drive me totally insane. I suggest approaching it with humour. My H sings quite horribly but insisted on doing it frequently and I ended up asking him to put it in writing. We laugh at it now.