Ladies, do you feel you don't look the same without make up on?

orangelady

I don't know, but I have female friends who wear make up and no doubt, they look good and pleasant and beautiful, etc.

However, on the days that they DON'T wear make up, omg..........it's like, I'm seeing someone else. It has come to the point that I can't even recognize them. And these are people who are without acne/pimples but they still look different without make up.

The thing with make up is they do enhance your looks/features, but once you are without them, let's face it, the person doesn't look so good.

What do you think? So it's like you're parading around in someone else's skin. You're covering up your original looks. You don't want to see your real face/skin and you don't want others to too.

Without makeup people generally think I'm 16 years old. :lmao:

I remember trying to get in a movie, and they wouldn't let me because they thought I was under 18.

Makeup just makes me look more my age I guess. It's funny to me.

I think I might have a photo of myself with lack of makeup.. But thats on my other computer. If this thread is still up late tonight, maybe I'll post it as example.

denise_xo

I stopped wearing make up on a regular basis about four or five years ago. I didn't wear a whole lot to begin with so I don't know how much of a difference it actually made, but I like that 'what you see is what you get' aspect of not wearing any. I put some on for special occassions like weddings and sometimes for work.

• Author
orangelady
cerridwen
I don't know, but I have female friends who wear make up and no doubt, they look good and pleasant and beautiful, etc.

However, on the days that they DON'T wear make up, omg..........it's like, I'm seeing someone else. It has come to the point that I can't even recognize them. And these are people who are without acne/pimples but they still look different without make up.

The thing with make up is they do enhance your looks/features, but once you are without them, let's face it, the person doesn't look so good.

What do you think? So it's like you're parading around in someone else's skin. You're covering up your original looks. You don't want to see your real face/skin and you don't want others to too.

I suppose it depends on the amount of make up we're talking about.

Some women use it to do exactly what you mention Orange, disguise their looks behind a wall of MAC products.

Other women use it to enhance.

For the former, it can't be a comfortable feeling.

They likely worry about sweating, swimming, anything that may wash away their cosmetic front.

God forbid they be caught in the morning without their "face on."

That doesn't sound like a fun way to live at all.

laRubiaBonita

i only ever wear concealer, eye liner, and mascara.

i am blonde though, so if i am sans eyeliner and mascara my eyes do not "pop" and i do not have very defined lashes b/c they are light.

other than that, i pretty much look the same.

but i know some women who look nothing like i 'know' them too with out heavy make up on....... it is wierd, and i wonder how long it takes them to get all done up.

I pretty much never wear makeup, not even concealer or other base. But even when I do, it certainly doesn't come off with me looking like a completely different person. I really like being natural. I feel bad for all the girls who think they have to go heavy on the paint to be pretty, it's just not so.

My makeup is pretty subtle and I don't think I look much different. I usually put enough on to cover my freckles. I'm over my freckles at the age of 28. However my boyfriend thinks I look exactly the same and says he prefers the way I look right after I've washed my face.

Dang - and I've been going thru all this trouble ;)

Lorelei_Lane

I don't wear it often. When I do, it's not a whole lot, mostly just eye make up. Sometimes I go for foundation and blush, but it's not a whole lot of that, either. And that's usually for job interviews or weddings!

The only way I look different without make up on is my eyes don't "pop" as much. I have naturally long, dark eye lashes, but with eyeliner, my eyes are more defined. That's it. The reason I even wear eye make up is to enhance my eye color, it's a mix color hazel, sometimes they're gold colored. So I wear a neutral eyeshadow, eyeliner on just the top lid and a small amount of mascara. That's it most of the time I wear make up. If I spring for a lower lid liner, it's usually a brownish color, and very light, so you can hardly tell I'm wearing it.

My husband likes the way I do my makeup, he doesn't like the heavy stuff a lot of women wear. He says mine looks more natural, and he loves it.

To each their own though I guess.

When I was younger, I was more self-conscious about what I perceived as imperfections in my features. I wore heavier makeup and more dramatic colors, partially because of that, and partially because I just liked the theater of makeup, the dramatic effects I could achieve. It was part of my fashion phase, I guess. Sometimes I'd go for avant garde, sometimes glamorous, often sort of Cleopatra-goth. I sometimes wore makeup like a mask and I did look different without it, younger, probably more innocent.

Now I'm in my 30s and I just can't be bothered making all that effort. I wear minimal makeup if any: lash tint to brighten my eyes, tinted lip balm, some oil-absorbing powder to even out my skin tone. If I'm going somewhere nice or having a date night I will wear eyeshadow and/or eyeliner, but it's more subdued, more about enhancing my eyes than about making any startling changes. The only thing I wear every day is sunscreen and lip balm, I take great care of my skin. There's definitely no shocking change between me with makeup and me without these days, and I'm more comfortable that way. Like someone else said, my eyes don't pop as much. Sometimes I miss the fun theater of it, but I don't really have time for the whole rigmarole anymore and I don't really do the high fashion city scene these days, anyway--I spend most of my time writing or chasing my kids around on the beach.

cerridwen

It's incredible that some women will take as long as 30 minutes to apply their makeup.

30 minutes!

30 minutes of layer upon layer.

I could have washed the car and cut the lawn by then!

My makeup is pretty subtle and I don't think I look much different. I usually put enough on to cover my freckles. I'm over my freckles at the age of 28. However my boyfriend thinks I look exactly the same and says he prefers the way I look right after I've washed my face.

Dang - and I've been going thru all this trouble ;)

In my experience, the freckles just get worse as you get older. I had just a light dusting in the summers when I was in my 20s, and now they're permanent fixtures, twice as many and all-year-round. They proliferated like crazy when I was pregnant, too.

You just get over it at some point, I think. I used to hate it that my freckles made me look twelve--now I like that they help me stay young-looking, ha ha. Fortunately my husband thinks freckles are hot, he likes them specifically.

I never wore makeup and said when I'm older, I'll do makeup. Now that I'm older, I'm a horrible makeup artist. And my skin absorbs the makeup really quickly so it rubs off and disappears.

I do wear concealer sometimes. My face has patches of red and I don't like that. I will put on eye makeup when I go dancing and want to look pretty. But it's kind of pointless since I wear glasses and don't wear contacts.

So I don't look prettier with makeup so I don't mind doing without. :)