I've made a mistake

I've been in a fantastic relationship for two and a half months now with a very wonderful woman who I love very much. Things are great in so many ways I don't know where to begin.

She is currently away on vacation, and I am keeping an eye on her house, picking up the mail, etc. Today when I was there, I dropped the mail on the kitchen counter, and noticed that her checkbook was there. In a moment of complete lunacy, I took a peek inside. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I guess I was just curious. It was only for a few seconds, but I did notice the amount of one of her paychecks.

I immediately put it down and closed it back up, and became horrified at my actions. I obviously was not thinking. Here she is trusting me to come into her house, and I breach that trust. I feel absolutely terrible, and wracked with guilt. I have no idea why I did this, and I am disappointed in myself.

I know this was wrong, and I also tend to blow things like this up huge in my head, to the point of obsessing about them.

Any advice? Thank you...

If it was a huge transgression such as sleeping with someone else, I'd say you have to confess - but something like this hardly even matters, so I wouldn't bother kicking up a fuss over it. You know you did wrong, so just forget about it and don't do it again.

• Author
but something like this hardly even matters, so I wouldn't bother kicking up a fuss over it. You know you did wrong, so just forget about it and don't do it again.

Thanks, I've been trying to look at it that way. I admit I made a mistake and know it was wrong. It's something I would never do again, but I feel like things are tainted now, like I have this secret, and I don't want secrets between us.

If I'm being over-dramatic, tell me that too. I'm not thinking straight at the moment.

• Author
Let it go. Lesson learned, right?

Lesson definitely learned.

Put it out of your head and forget about it.

That's the hard part, my OCD thought patterns make that difficult. Thank you, though. I will try.

dreamingoftigers
Lesson definitely learned.

That's the hard part, my OCD thought patterns make that difficult. Thank you, though. I will try.

I was wondering what was flagging this.

If it does trouble you THAT much maybe tell her but it may just open up a can of worms because YOU think of it as a bid deal. Not her.

• Author
If it does trouble you THAT much maybe tell her but it may just open up a can of worms because YOU think of it as a bid deal. Not her.

Yes, I've thought of that too. I'm waiting for a call back from my therapist so I can tell her. :)

dreamingoftigers
No you don't think it's a huge transgression? Just trying to clarify.

NO.

(10 chars)