Either I'm old school, something in the water.. but, what's with people online??

socal_4life

Hey. Alright. I'm sure it's "me".. but, let's see. Okay.. I'm over 30. That's one thing. I'm from "socal". That's another.

People I knew and grew up with all seem to agree, something is strange. Like, everyone is just vyyyying to be so unique and interesting or something online that it's CREEPY!!! Am I alone on this?? I mean, I know I'm not, cause I can go talk to my buddies or coworkers or family and it seems like it's some big conspiracy secret or something.

Like even my older buddies, 30, 40+.. I mean, these guys, well, their whole generation really, was like, you know.. the 80's? The 70's? 60s? 90's?

But like.. I swear, this post 9/11 society creeps me out. Like, fedoras and scarves creep me out. Is it some Euro California Hollywood takeover thing?? And no, I'm not implying any particular race here, cause it's all races equally. And likewise, my buddies are all races.

I know!!! It's... it's like.. a weird, new race.. the multiculturalled liberal race.

Something like that. Like for instance.. I'm checking out some dating sites.. match, okcupid, plentyoffish, eharmony....

My take... either I am old, or society really is passing me by. There's this strange "confidence" that just seems scripted by everyone.

Like, you know how at a customer service job you gotta be all creepily happy?? THAT'S HOW IT SOUNDS!!! WTH??

Am I crazy????

Everyone now is like a customer service agent. It creeps me the hell out.

Like, is it even possible to be that happy all the time?? I mean, I consider myself a freaking happy person. But c'mon.

What is the deal here??? Cause I can't make any new friends ;( And I keep having to go back to my old school buddies still talking about Metallica and Nirvana and like, always b**tchin and complaining hahaha.

use the word 'like,' less.

That is soooo 2007...... :rolleyes:

laRubiaBonita
use the word 'like,' less.

That is soooo 2007...... :rolleyes:

Agreed.

:rolleyes:

threebyfate

I'll admit that the customer service agent bit was pretty funny, especially considering social networking sites!!

When MySpace first came out, my friends had to twist my arm to open an account. And then I ignored it since it felt so stupid. I've since refused to open a Facebook account and Twitter, OMG, the dumbest attention whore invention that ever existed! I do not care what you're doing every minute of the day and what I'm doing is none of your goddamn business. :p

Online dating never appealed to me either. Too dishonest.

So, if what I've said above resonates with you, try to meet people in real life. My husband and I met in real life and have never looked back. With real life, you can read body language and facial expression instead of relying on the customer service pictures! :laugh:

all i saw up there were questions on top of questions, and even a couple question-questions :confused:

but what's with the hating of fedoras, scarfs and europe have to do with anything ? :mad:

LuckyLady13

Creepy customer service people! All of 'em! I know exactly what you're saying, SoCal. I checked up on my ex a few years ago and even he looked happy ALL THE TIME but in real life, he's the nastiest, most negative, paranoid guy yelling all the time and in a permanent state of PMS. He hated his best friends on a daily basis. I don't think he could be happy if he won the lottery! On Myspace and online sites, he was so unreal in pictures. I laughed pretty hard knowing who he really is and seeing those ridiculously fake, always smiling, always happy pictures.

And people I went to high school with look happy with BIG SMILES in pictures that make no sense. Like "look at me in my yard raking leaves" with this creepy smile that reminds me of one of those old sci-fi movies where people are brainwashed or taken over by aliens.

I totally relate, SoCal. It's not just you. But everyone I meet tells me I'm so down to earth and so "real" (all that customer service didn't stick into my personal life) so maybe down to earth people notice more?

Congratulations. You managed all of that with only one 'like'! :cool:

See? if she can do it, OP...... ;):D