Girlfriend trying to overcome some personal issues

Hey guys,

I've been dating a girl for a little over two months and we're both very mature, serious, and very much in love with each other. However, she has some flaws with her personality that she's also acknowledged and I want to help her overcome them.

She's very much of a pessimistic girl and doesn't believe highly in her abilities even though I know she's very beautiful, smart, and hard-working. She's told me the reason for this is because she want to protect herself and have low expectations in case she will get hurt if things don't work out her way. Secondly, she gets easily stressed over things (i.e. school projects, roommate issues) and it affects her mood very much to the point where she will cry and let things like this completely dampen her day. She's also very indecisive about various things ranging from what to order at a restaurant to more important and impactful life decisions. Furthermore, she tends to question a lot of the things I say (i.e. when I tell her I love her or give her compliments and also being insecure of how much I will love her in the future and stuff about my previous relationship). She acknowledges these things as her problems and says she hates herself for feeling this way about things.

Don't get me wrong, I love her very very much and I don't think any of these problems are very serious. However, I just can't stand seeing her down or depressed over and I just want to help her overcome these things.

Can someone give me some specific advice on how I can help her overcome these problems? I've just been trying to make myself very available at anytime during the day to talk to her and constantly reassure her my feelings and try to give her advice to improve herself. I see myself as a good communicator and I complement her personality very well - I'm very positive and secure about myself.

Today especially, she's dealing with a rooming issue and a big project on the horizon. To make matters worse, she's also sick and she just learned a friend of hers just passed away.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Author

Hmmm, I never thought being depressive/worried could be genetically related. I don't think either of her parents are as negative as her. Her mother, although sometimes crazy and overprotective is generally rational and positive and her father is not negative either...

edgeofdarkness
Hmmm, I never thought being depressive/worried could be genetically related. I don't think either of her parents are as negative as her. Her mother, although sometimes crazy and overprotective is generally rational and positive and her father is not negative either...

crazy n overprotective wd do it. she doubts n e thing about herself bcaus her mom has undermined he confidents.

wrapped her up in cotonwool i guess. so now she doesent believe she cn do n e thing efficintly.