Do similar facial features = Similar behaviour/personality?

Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but my sister and I have been discussing her theory that people with similar facial features exhibit similar behaviours and personality traits.

Case in point (#1), I have a professor who bears a resemblance to Jerry Seinfeld. She looks like him and she even talks and acts like him. I don't think she's trying to emulate him at all. It's just her personality. She manages to make exciting a mind-numbingly boring grad course.

Case (#2), I have an ex-friend who resembles Ray Romano (of Everybody Loves Raymond - a US tv show). This guy exhibits the same kind of selfish, self-centered behaviour that Ray does. He too is set in his ways and thinks he's being funny when really he's just being a jackass.

Case (#3), an acquaintance who could pass for Goldie Hawn's sister or daughter. She too is exuberant, bubbly and willing to make fun of herself (funny faces, etc.) to get a laugh. She doesn't look exactly like Goldie, but they have similar features. She is European, quite young and has only heard of Goldie Hawn quite recently.

I'd really like to collaborate with my sister on this and write a paper about it, but more input from other people is necessary.

Has anyone else come across anything similar to my experience? My observation is that it's not necessary for people to be exact doppelgangers of the person they may resemble. There just has to be enough of a resemblance for them to exhibit similar personality traits and characteristics.

Edited to add that I am not a crackpot. I just think this would be something fun to do. Also, this has nothing to do whatsoever with the doctorate degree I'm pursuing. Again, just a fun paper on the side. Let the geek and nerd comments commence! :D

This is a very old theory; it goes along with the theory that head lumps and structure can indicate personality.

First, go look up the concept of 'cognitive dissonance'. You can also check out 'selective perception'. Basically, once you drive a blue Toyota, suddenly you see that the road is full of blue Toyotas. You will now notice every blond cutie that acts bubbly because they seem to prove your theory, however because it does not fit your new belief, you won't notice blond cuties who are dull as dishwater, nor people who look like Seinfeld who are completely unfunny.

If anything, you might wish to investigate whether people's impressions of, and reactions to, others might colour the others' behaviour. If you see a person that looks like Seinfeld, and you expect Seinfeldish behaviour of him, perhaps you colour his behaviour or else perhaps you only see his Seinfeldish behaviour and fail to observe everything about him which is not at all Seinfeldish.

• Author

Oh, wow! :D

Thanks, moimeme, for that info. I mean that sincerely and not in any smart alecky kind of way. I didn't know that such a thing as cognitive dissonance existed. I didn't know that this topic has already been discovered and explored. Can you imagine if I actually presented a paper on this for real?

It would probably go something like this:

Esteemed professors and colleagues:

I present to you my latest discovery - dentistry!!

A correlation has been made between a tooth ache and that pulling of said tooth would tremendously decrease said ache.

I imagine that instead of awarding me the doctorate they might have me see a doctor instead. :D:D Double grins because I enjoy a good laugh as much as anyone.

Edited to add that I think you rule, Moimeme.

I might add the biggest flaw in this theory as presented:

You're comparing personalities of people you know in real life.....to personalities you see in TV and movies. One of those isn't real.

• Author

To Ryan: So true. I might not be a crackpot, but the theory is. :p

Moving on to conspiracy theories and the study of geopolitical infrastructures of the European Union.

• Author

I posted this topic half in jest and half out of a genuine curiosity.

A few hours later, I am feeling somewhat embarassed that my theory wasn't quite well-thought out or received in the manner I intended.

I really appreciate all your comments and feedback on how to make the theory more sound. Admittedly, I was feeling a bit stupid for having such a half-baked idea. I was going to ask Paul to delete this thread, but then I realized I got exactly what I was asking for - advice and some really good feedback on a subject which piqued my interest.

I was going to defend myself and insist that I wasn't really stupid, it just sounded that way. But then, I remembered something Moimeme said to me - I had to stop seeing myself in a certain way. So, no apologies here. Just a load of thanks for taking the time to read my post and giving me some good advice.

Maybe I'll even post an update if I ever get around to actually doing a study on this. Thanks all.

Edited to add that I think you rule, Moimeme.

You are very sweet :o

Admittedly, I was feeling a bit stupid for having such a half-baked idea

It is very easy to get caught up with enthusiasm and no crime to do so. It's also great that you got an idea and wanted to pursue it. Nothing to be upset about at all. You did something a lot of people don't do - you checked it out before you went forward. You saved yourself some wasted effort in doing so. It's all good.

Slow on down.....it's not a bad idea to pursue. Don't feel any shame over voicing yourself here.

It's not like we're debating something VAPID like Coke vs. Pepsi.

Originally posted by moimeme

If anything, you might wish to investigate whether people's impressions of, and reactions to, others might colour the others' behaviour. If you see a person that looks like Seinfeld, and you expect Seinfeldish behaviour of him, perhaps you colour his behaviour or else perhaps you only see his Seinfeldish behaviour and fail to observe everything about him which is not at all Seinfeldish.

Social psychologists call this theoretical perspective the self-fulfilling prophecy. The idea is that a person's expectations about another person (in this particular instance, expectations are prompted by a similar physical appearance to a celebrity) influence the interactions that occur between both people in such a way that the other person behaves in a manner consistent with the expectations.

There are many studies that have been conducted which examine this relationship and look at the implications of our situational and stereotypic expectations of others.

But of course! Something about thinking about Seinfeld (ick) made me forget that I knew that :D . Thanks for the reminder, Paul :)