4 in 10 say marriage is becoming obsolete

Hello fellow Virginian. I honestly believe there will always be something that people will do to show they are tied down to one single person completely. I also think were it to ever become something most everyone stopped doing, you would still always have the christian groups and whatnot that would still take part in the 'old ways.'

I read that article. I also clicked on a link that lists the divorce rates in each country. Not surprisingly, USA is the highest. Shri Lanka is the lowest at .15 per 1,000 people.

Edited by Lauriebell82
deebeechrisyo

I honestly don't see the point anymore myself. The only legit reasons I see are religious or pressure from society. Your job may also be influenced based on your marital status, example being politicians.

I would have to be convinced that any other reason to get married is legit.

I honestly don't see the point anymore myself. The only legit reasons I see are religious or pressure from society. Your job may also be influenced based on your marital status, example being politicians.

I would have to be convinced that any other reason to get married is legit.

I'm old fashioned and I would NEVER have a child out of wedlock. I married for additional reasons besides that of course, but that is important to me. I think I may be in the minority on that one though, because most households have at least 1 unmarried parent in them.

I see what you are saying, you pretty much can have everything you get out of marriage without ACTUALLY getting married. I think if you are going to marry to celebrate your relationship, it should be to someone who you can deal with on a daily basis and who you share values with...it lowers the risk of divorce.

And that's ok. Some of us love being married and treasure our marriages. For some, marriage is obsolete. We have different experiences and points of view, no biggie :)

And that's ok. Some of us love being married and treasure our marriages. For some, marriage is obsolete. We have different experiences and points of view, no biggie :)

Ditto to this!!! :)

marriage provides full supports and complete life. With out marriage life is half. Marriage gives 50 extra satisfaction in life. It's must to get satisfied in full life other wise you will be half only.

As a necessity, it IS now obsolete. No one needs to get married. But it has been practiced so long that even people who would do better to not get married feel driven towards it. That's why divorce is so prevalent now.

Because it is not necessary, people should really really not get married without a realistic examination of the path they want in life and how rigid that path is to them. A lot of individual control has to be given up and replaced by a willingness to compromise.

What was that phrase about those most able to adapt? Oh yeah, they are the ones most capable of surviving! Marriage; the new culling tool of evolution. :laugh:

Me too... or at least I did. Now I just don't know anymore.

If you have been hurt, maybe you just need more time to heal.

There is always a big risk with any big commitment.

Because it is not necessary, people should really really not get married without a realistic examination of the path they want in life and how rigid that path is to them. A lot of individual control has to be given up and replaced by a willingness to compromise.

Eh, I sort of agree with this. Being married simply means you have someone else in your life that you need to think about now and share it with. I would say that if you are fairly self-obsorbed and like to do whatever you want, whenever you want, then marriage is probably not for you.

GorillaTheater
like to do whatever you want, whenever you want

Having been married since Reagan's first term, I admit this concept has some appeal.

Considering that marriage is purported to pre-date recorded history, it becoming 'obsolete' would be quite a significant cultural and social development in the human civilization. Imagine the impact on the economy if people never got married. Wait....:confused:;)

marriage as it's been traditionally institutionalised in the west, is surely questionable. but monogamy within some form of kinship structure within a given community i doubt will go away anytime soon.